Auto Header Height on 973 Flex - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Auto Header Height on 973 Flex

Anybody know why they bunny hop like they are having a seizure? What can I do to fix this? We have two of them doing the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Re: Auto Header Height on 973 Flex

What are you using for auto header height float optinizer and are you cutting touching the ground.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The header drop rate and possibly the raise rate is too fast. If the head drops to fast the head will drop to far by the time the valve shuts the flow of oil off and the raise switch will be activated on the side of the head. The same can happen on the raise cycle. This causes the head to hop continuously down the field.

It should take @ 3 to 5 seconds for the head to drop from full up to full down when the head is lowered.

On the header lift valve in the valve stack are two 1/4" bolts. The vavle is the second from the bottom and there is one bolt on the front and one bolt on the rear of the vavle. Screw these bolts in to slow the head down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It depends what model combine you are running it on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

We are running Tr's (97 & 98). The header lift/drop rate on my 98 is pretty fast so maybe that is it. The 97 seems reasonable but it does the same thing. We are putting the knife on the ground trying to recover flat peas.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

On most 973 heads there is a green decal on the inside of the right divider. When I set up the header control I like to see the head stop when the flexible divider moves up about an inch in the green decal. In other words I want the cutterbar to make solid contact with the ground but I want the table as high as possible. The further you lower the head the guards actually tilt up and will not cut as close. Adjust the linkage on the header control box to achieve this. If the head is lowering too fast it is hard to stop the head at the ideal spot. As I posted earlier the head will drop to far and not give you much vertical movement before the header control raise switch is activated and then you start bouncing down the field.

I like to start at about 5 seconds for the head to drop from full up to when the header control switch stops the drop. From that point you can change the drop speed to suit your needs as long as you avoid the hopping.

I would slow both the lower and raise speeds. Count the number of rounds you screw them in and if you are not satisfied with the results you can turn them back to where they were. All you are doing is limiting the travel of the valve spool. You can read about how to adjust the raise and drop speed in the operators manual.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 PM

I just bought a 25 foot NH 973 Platform head... When I raised it off the header cart I notices a sag in the middle of the head. Got underneath it and saw there was two missing springs, plus it looked like a few rocks bent up the support bars across the head. I bent the support bars back down some, and added some springs but the sag seems like it still too much...Suggestions on how to solve that issue ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page