Next combine? NH or Claas? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have been running twin rotors for 25 years and we demoed a claas last fall and there is no way I would ever jump ship after having the demo. It was a good experience and a eye opener. I would highly recommend getting a demo if you can before switching.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer72 View Post
I have been running twin rotors for 25 years and we demoed a claas last fall and there is no way I would ever jump ship after having the demo. It was a good experience and a eye opener. I would highly recommend getting a demo if you can before switching.
What were the problems you had ir things you disliked?

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
What were the problems you had ir things you disliked?
A Claas combine is not a hop-in-and-go machine like most others. It has several more adjustments to make and the threshing and separating systems are controlled separately but they affect eachother in many ways. Using the NH as an example(Case and Deere are the same) you have rotor speed and concave clearance and that's it for adjustments. Also there is certain conditions where the Claas will look very mediocre such as in dry swathed canola if it doesn't have full rotor covers installed. In tough conditions/high straw load it will absolutely destroy all other machines. Took me a good year to learn many of the details about this combine and I am still learning. My sales guy is top notch and gave me a great demo but I could see how a less experienced sales guy could make critical mistakes and blow it if he does not have some real experience with the unit.

I won't slight NH because I ran them for a year and an fully aware that they are a big step up from a single rotor. They are very user friendly and have made some nice product improvements since the 9090 model even. The things I did not like about my CR9090 Elevation combines was the slow transport speed, small tank and the need for tracks is what pushed me to Claas. I see those things have been addressed on the .90 series but I am not aware if they have eliminated the concave shearpin? The adjustable rotor vanes could be handy if they can be adjusted on the go?

I won't even address the comments about downtime and service, unless you are hearing that from an owner it carries zero weight IMO.

I think there will be some very reasonable auction combines around because of the market conditions at the moment. Sometimes you do run the risk of finding out how good your dealer actually is when you buy something elsewhere, I know I once did...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
The new cr combines have cab adjustable rotor vanes and no more concave shearpin
SWMan likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have went through a lot of different combines trying to find that runs as cheap and reliable as the old 2388. The 580r worked good, but it seemed to take alot of screwing around to get to. It took 2 football fieds to turn it around too. I would want a dealer pretty close, there is losts of parts. The 9090 i ran it for 2 years, the first year was dry good going but the second was not. Liked it the first year but the second year was tens of thousands of dollars to keep it moving while my brother in law with a 4000hr tr 98 is lapping me all day. They are a good, good condition combine, no good for tougher stuff. I had a 7010, it was a good unit, easy to set, good on fuel not too may problems. Then the 8120 came, i thought case would have fixed the few issues that were on the 7010 but no they made them worse. Air cleaner, feeder chain, and that crappy spreader system, and chopper bearings( just put regular bearings in not the fancy case ones and you wont have that problem). I honestly don't know how they sell any combines after the 20 series. I think the case rotors and shoe are too short if you push them its easy to make it go out the back. Massey's. 9790 great combine, crappy cummins motor, 9895 good combine fuel pig of a cat motor. 9560 massey great combine, easy to set, cheap to run and it will do way more than any combine we have had in a day. Cheap on fuel and it will it can handle our tough condions. I have 2 of them now, i have never liked a combine enough to get a second one of the same thing.
But pick the dealer you want to deal with, and go with it. A crap dealer will make a good combine crap.
alta66 likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWsask View Post
The new cr combines have cab adjustable rotor vanes and no more concave shearpin
What did they replace the shearpin with? Just curious. We don't have many shearpin issues anymore once we figured out we needed the spring kit to hold down the adapter auger on our 2162.

The more I read this discussion and look at things, the more I think I'll stick with NH. Maybe a 9090, 8090, or an 8.90

I've read and heard the 9120 was the best Case machine lately but with the chopper issues I hear of and many many talking about the twin rotors are better for small grains, it just makes sense to not go back to a red one and stay with NH.

Last edited by case; 08-11-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It was a 780tt picking 30 foot canola swaths. We had it dialed in at .5 bu loss doing about 3 mph in 55 bu canola and I slipped the cylinder belt 3 times which I thought was odd. It comes from Germany so everything is backwards. Need a wrench to open anything up on the sides. The feeder chain is insanely loud which totally cancels out the quietness of the rest of the machine. It is a heavy complicated machine with a ton of moving parts. Thatís the major things I didnít like but only ran it for 5 hours.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer72 View Post
It was a 780tt picking 30 foot canola swaths. We had it dialed in at .5 bu loss doing about 3 mph in 55 bu canola and I slipped the cylinder belt 3 times which I thought was odd. It comes from Germany so everything is backwards. Need a wrench to open anything up on the sides. The feeder chain is insanely loud which totally cancels out the quietness of the rest of the machine. It is a heavy complicated machine with a ton of moving parts. Thatís the major things I didnít like but only ran it for 5 hours.
Yep, swathed canola makes sense. Depending on what year of machine and if it had full rotor covers properly installed and working(some actually had a decal that was backwards and the lever position was opposite to decal to close covers) I could see how you would be limited in swathed dry canola. The Claas shines in standing canola where straw is a bit green, that is as close to zero loss as I have ever seen any combine get in canola. I think the extra couple percent this machine can put in your pocket by getting low loss and maintaining it with cruise pilot is pretty nice, certainly worth learning a few backwards things like how to use a Claas wrench to open some side panels.

Good to see the NH getting rid of the shearpin and making come other good improvements. Again the Lexion is not a sunflower machine from what I have been told, I would look for a 8.90 in this situation. The bigger models apparently struggle with loss, especially the 10.90

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:41 PM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
I have went through a lot of different combines trying to find that runs as cheap and reliable as the old 2388. The 580r worked good, but it seemed to take alot of screwing around to get to. It took 2 football fieds to turn it around too. I would want a dealer pretty close, there is losts of parts. The 9090 i ran it for 2 years, the first year was dry good going but the second was not. Liked it the first year but the second year was tens of thousands of dollars to keep it moving while my brother in law with a 4000hr tr 98 is lapping me all day. They are a good, good condition combine, no good for tougher stuff. I had a 7010, it was a good unit, easy to set, good on fuel not too may problems. Then the 8120 came, i thought case would have fixed the few issues that were on the 7010 but no they made them worse. Air cleaner, feeder chain, and that crappy spreader system, and chopper bearings( just put regular bearings in not the fancy case ones and you wont have that problem). I honestly don't know how they sell any combines after the 20 series. I think the case rotors and shoe are too short if you push them its easy to make it go out the back. Massey's. 9790 great combine, crappy cummins motor, 9895 good combine fuel pig of a cat motor. 9560 massey great combine, easy to set, cheap to run and it will do way more than any combine we have had in a day. Cheap on fuel and it will it can handle our tough condions. I have 2 of them now, i have never liked a combine enough to get a second one of the same thing.
But pick the dealer you want to deal with, and go with it. A crap dealer will make a good combine crap.

My God Millie,

You have changed your underpants colour many times........

Only dark green and silver to go........

Interesting comment on your 9560ís. Sounds like they get along all right for you........ never seen one up close but ran a 8780xp for a couple of yrs..........man were they simple.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
What did they replace the shearpin with? Just curious. We don't have many shearpin issues anymore once we figured out we needed the spring kit to hold down the adapter auger on our 2162.

The more I read this discussion and look at things, the more I think I'll stick with NH. Maybe a 9090, 8090, or an 8.90

I've read and heard the 9120 was the best Case machine lately but with the chopper issues I hear of and many many talking about the twin rotors are better for small grains, it just makes sense to not go back to a red one and stay with NH.
It's a spring loaded reset instead of shear pin. My brother has it on his new 8.90,
it hasn't been activated yet. My brothers 8090 and my cousins 9090 are at Kenmare.

Both nice combines. Only thing is the 8090 has the old DSP witch make the header
stick out 18 inches further, which makes seeing the cutter bar a little harder to see. Not so bad if you are tall and skinny Norwegian, but if
you are a short fat Ukrainian, not so much. Also the 8090's grain pan and shoe are
only one year old.

case likes this.

Enjoy Life.......Nobody gets out of here Alive......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page