Seeding canola with p1060 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Seeding canola with p1060

We've seeded canola only a couple years with our p1060. I was told you can't put the canola out the middle tank so we end up putting fert in tank 2 (102) bushel size and canola in tank 3 (142) bushel size then the other fert out the side in tank 1 (186) bushel size. I'd rather set it up that we can put the smallest tank as canola and join it with tank 1 fert. Then tank 3 goes out the side. But I was told when we got it that you can't put the canola in the middle for some reason or another. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can put the middle tank with either the front or back compartments. Should be able to do what you want

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Cd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vers375 View Post
You can put the middle tank with either the front or back compartments. Should be able to do what you want
But can you put canola or a small seed in the middle tank. I was told it's something to do with the velocities get out of wack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Should be a baffle that you can adjust to get air volume down on the middle or front tank. It's the primary tank(rear on tow behind) that gets the main air blast that is probably not well suited to canola. I'm assuming this would be reversed on a tow between but not sure.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
EDIT. I need to specify that our drill uses a tow-between tank, so tank three is closest to the drill. For a tow-behind cart, tank 2 would be closest to the drill, so things would be opposite in that case.

We regularly put canola in tank 2. However we're not putting any fert with it in tank 3 when we do that, so we can just close down the baffle and it's fine.

But having said that, I think what you've been told is correct in your case. You can't put canola in tank 2 and fert in tank 3. Here's why. If you can get enough airflow through the main runs to move the phos you're putting in the seed row, that much air flow will literally blow canola over the rollers in tank 2. Whereas if you put your fertilizer and higher airflow into tank 2, when you close the baffles off completely on tank 3, it will not blow over the roller, but drop just fine into the air stream carrying the fertilizer. I hope this makes sense.

You might be able to close the baffle way down on tank 2 and open it up a tiny bit on tank 3 to carry the phos. I'm not sure how the dynamics work in this case. Canola might not be able to pass the air stream bringing the phos down. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by torriem; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
torriem are you closing your baffle completely on your canola tank? I'm pretty sure mine is open slightly(I have a P1070 to be clear). Occasionally I get some canola that escapes when I start and stop the fan and wonder if it's too big of a pressure swing in that moment, maybe I need to close the baffle down more.

Also does closing tank 2 baffle stop air from getting to tank 3? I didn't think so but am not completely certain, the P1060 could be different from my P1070 but I thought it was only where the fan was located and the guts were the same...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I run a P1060 tank and the way it was explained to me was you need the lightest seed in the front position. So the heaviest being fertilizer must go in the middle tank and the canola in the front tank. I have a tow behind. It has something to do with the seed being pulled out of the tank faster so your metering will be off if you but it first in line. Maybe a vacuum effect from the front tank. I've just always used the front tank and had no issues.
torriem likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Its been a few years but was at a flexicoil seminar and they would have been talking double shooting and in that case too much air velocity for tank 2, to hold back the canola is what they were claiming since the baffles of tank 2 would have to be open in order to have enough air flow for the fert tank 3 and 2 paired together.

However my tank ( tow behind ) and the somewhat odd ball these days method of single shooting the fert blend and seed all together in the same runs ( since the land was already anhydrous-ed ) , I do use tank 2 for the canola and then tanks 1 and 3 both have the same blend of fert in them and meter them out at a 50/50 % and don't need to completely fill the rear tank and allows me to seed a quarter per fill. With that seeding setup tank 1 has the baffle completely open, tank 2 is basically closed, tank 3 just cracked open slightly. I have noticed sometimes with very small seed that it can suck a little past if sitting there with the fan running but for the most part has not been an issue and the fan is only ran at around that 3000 RPM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 993 Post(s)
The older 580 bushel metal flexicoil tank finally got the tank splits and air flow issues resolved. You can put the canola in the front or smallest tank and the hoses do not have to climb over the front tires eliminating the plugging problems with very high rates of fertilizer. My tank utilization efficiency went way up and the splits are almost perfect for me. I was afraid of these tanks but guys that have them love them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
torriem are you closing your baffle completely on your canola tank? I'm pretty sure mine is open slightly(I have a P1070 to be clear).
If I'm running tank 2 and 3 together, then yes I pretty much close the baffle on tank 3 completely off. There's enough air leakage to pressurize the tank, but since the air is already coming down the runs from tank 2, I don't need anything in tank 3 really. In fact sometimes even if we aren't using tank 2, we'll still put the air we need through that baffle, and then close baffle 3 right off. Works well for us.
Quote:
Also does closing tank 2 baffle stop air from getting to tank 3? I didn't think so but am not completely certain, the P1060 could be different from my P1070 but I thought it was only where the fan was located and the guts were the same...
Well each tank has its own independent baffle. So shutting baffle 2 will not prevent air from going through baffle 3. Is that what you're asking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
I run a P1060 tank and the way it was explained to me was you need the lightest seed in the front position.
Very good point. Ours is a tow-between, so for us we always put the lightest product closest to the drill, which is tank 3.

I didn't even think of this when answering before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
Its been a few years but was at a flexicoil seminar and they would have been talking double shooting and in that case too much air velocity for tank 2, to hold back the canola is what they were claiming since the baffles of tank 2 would have to be open in order to have enough air flow for the fert tank 3 and 2 paired together.
That's my understanding as well, although like I said, that's for a tow-between configuration I think.

SWMan likes this.

Last edited by torriem; 01-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page