The Combine Forum banner

can you convert asp to dsp rock trap

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RunninREDharD 
#1 ·
Looking at possibly moving to a new holland combine, but in my conditions I absolutely want dsp rock trap, and most of the used 9070-9090 combines I see have asp. Does anyone know if an asp can be converted to dsp and if so is it feasible or cost prohibitive.

thanks

#8 ·
I don't think dsp was ever available on a 9070-9090 machine so I'm not sure what it would take,
I had two 2104 CR9090's with DSP. Very good stone protection and I felt that it helped to smooth crop flow and break apart lumps ahead of rotors.

I would be shocked if it is economical to switch a machine, there is quite a bit of different parts.

#10 ·
I think the first gen NH DSP had the annoying extra long feeder house. Seems to be 9090's around with that setup. I think 2014 and up they refined the DSP and made it work in a standard feeder house.
The only bad part of the long feeder house, is not being able to see the crop feeding from the cab seat.

#11 · (Edited)
Ran a friends 2011 or 12 8090 which had the long feeder house DSP for couple seasons. DSP worked great and much preferred over ASP. Also felt it improved rotor feeding but took some getting used to not seeing header knife or front of feeder house. Never really did get used to it, next combine was 2015 8.9 normal length feeder house DSP much better. Also, the beater on the 8090 completely wore out at about 400-500 hours. Updated beater and replaceable bars much better. CNH should have made it a recall as the original functioned fine but way under built. $6000 I think it was for the updated version.

I would also be shocked if it wasn’t cost prohibitive to ad DSP to an ASP machine.

#16 ·
Ran a friends 2011 or 12 8090 which had the long feeder house DSP for couple seasons. DSP worked great and much preferred over ASP. Also felt it improved rotor feeding but took some getting used to not seeing header knife or front of feeder house. Never really did get used to it, next combine was 2015 8.9 normal length feeder house DSP much better. Also, the beater on the 8090 completely wore out at about 400-500 hours. Updated beater and replaceable bars much better. CNH should have made it a recall as the original functioned fine but way under built. $6000 I think it was for the updated version.

I would also be shocked if it wasn’t cost prohibitive to ad DSP to an ASP machine.
x2

ASP = Acoustic stone protection which means the noise of a rock going over a sound board, stops the feeder and you spend the next 2 minutes or so reversing trying to clear it, lifting header and resetting the trap - a real waste of time when you see what a rock does to the rotor, concaves and chopper if it misses it.

DSP = Dynamic stone protection refers to the addition of a beater at the top end of the feeder house. On a 2012 model, made the overall length of the feeder longer by the additional length of the beater apparatus. The drawback on my 2012 model is that it is run off the separator and not off the header drive. There is no slip clutch. You plug it with kochia or slugs and the belt smokes until you hit the separator switch off.

I wouldn't be without it! Noise? I can't tell the difference. In fact, I updated to the new beater as Mags said and it will feed the rotors much smoother than the original design. The staggered replacable wear bear/teeth on it do a much better job to even out the slugs and it makes a huge difference to how much kochia you can chew through!

Yes, there certainly is a limited visibility issue with a longer feeder house but I have gotten used to it. Running Macdon fronts, I don't have any issues.

I also toyed with the idea of modifying our other combine (9080) but I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive. You would need longer and larger lift cylinders, kit to install the beater and likely drive modifications to drive it as it would be driven from the RHS off the separator drive. I have never really looked at the newer models to see how and if they have in fact shortened the feeder house, and or drive it from the feeder drive clutch to give it slip clutch protection.

In our rock conditions, doing lentils and kochia, a DSP is a must. After 3 years in these conditions with an ASP system, the concaves need replacement and look "rough" from stone damage and they are not cheap!

I always wanted to try a Claas to see how they perform in these conditions. However, much more expensive and I am not sure they handle kochia any better than what I have now. 1/2 our time is spent doing lentils and kochia and so the throughput of the combines are not based on barley or wheat and straw load, rather based on coverage by header width and how well you can cut it off and feed it in. Twice the combine in my case, has no effect on my overall capacity.

Out of interest, I would like to see how small diameter inline drums would handle green kochia weed. Would the light shafts bend and the belts slip, would they grunt and groan or just purr like a kitten?

#12 ·
There is a kit available to convert. I know one farm that installed. The DSP was only available on the wide body models of the tier 4 models and that was with the long feeder. So it was offered on the 8090 and 9090. It was model year 2015 (the dot series) before the feeder house got made shorter on the DSP models. It does take a bit to get used to the longer feeder but after some time it's not terrible.

#15 ·
I have a Case IH 2188 with rock trap. From my read above my combine must have a DSP since it has a rotor designed to beat rocks down into trap. This the first I've heard of this ASP/DSP designation. Mine has worked well except early days of rock trap beater plugging on clumps of damp beans. I slowed it up with optional drive sprocket from IH that gives it more torque to run clumps through better.Still works well at slightly slower rpm to push rocks into trap. I've also reduced the feeder housing reverse sprocket as far as I could to better back out any plugs I may still occasionally get, feeder system works much better now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.