CX combines, differences, what to look for, wear points, upgrades etc. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4484 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
But different.....

From talking to guys that have run both the CX was better then a TX for chopper bridging.

Funny how you started looking for something different and the Claas isnít much better then a cx for having to keep knifes sharp.
CX has to have regular hammer attention as well, if they are better itís marginal.

Claas was shitty at straw bridging as well, recent panel changes supposed to help.

Donít forget the 8 years of STS Deere I ran in between NH TX and Claas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Any significant difference between an early 8080 and late 8080?

2 of the differences would be elevation feature on 2015 forward models and of course that great DEF feature from about 2013 forward. You can read all the literature on Elevation stuff and sounds good; maybe it bit better. As for DEF, Don has some neighbors(Reimer Tuning) who can make it go away as cheaply as any and this probably the best thing to do. Seems to be bit more power in later models as well.

Would say the feederhouse reverser is pretty robust and you would like to run it such that you using it vs the less robust(depending who you are) reverser system further back than feederhouse.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback.

The chopper bridging is a very big concern. In tough green canola straw, but not as extreme as this year, when everything was a bottleneck, that had been the bottleneck on the 8460's, even with new sharp knives, so really wouldn't want to spend that much to get back to the same problem. I do know that by over threshing the straw I can break it down more and it goes through the chopper better, so a CX with the 3 cylinders/beaters has to do more damage to the straw than what I have now, wouldn't it?

My experience with the open stock cylinder vs. the enclosed heavy Sunnybrooks in these 8460's has been nothing short of drastic.

I couldn't run slow speeds at all with the stock, and even at ~1000 rpm would plug constantly in canola. I can now run slower, and almost never plug the cylinder with the added momentum of the Sunnybrook, at least until the rear beater wraps and stalls everything...

The stock cylinders would bend on heavy wet wads. Now they just break the stub shaft off, since the cylinder can't give, and won't stall...

The other issue was and green material would get inside the bars on the open cylinder and get out of balance, regularly had to crawl in and scrape it out to avoid shaking the machine apart. Never an issue with enclosed cylinders.

MK, what do you mean by walkers plugging? Do the troughs underneath fill up?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Jvw
we never had the chopper bridge when we had sharp edges on the knifes.

Never plugged the walkers except when the chopper bridged or when dropping straw and the operator stopped and it built up the back into the walkers.

The cx is terrible to plug when running slower speeds in canola when your trying to not crack it. The last year we had ours the grain was dry but the straw was wet and chewy. The sunnybrook would really help in that situation.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing I found with the straw bridging in chopper.. we had three different CX combines in same field and the only one that gave trouble was the one with very few wind knifes in chopper
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Quote:
Jvw

The cx is terrible to plug when running slower speeds in canola when your trying to not crack it. The last year we had ours the grain was dry but the straw was wet and chewy. The sunnybrook would really help in that situation.
That is not exactly building my confidence. By terrible, do you mean quantity (multiple times per day), or quality, (terrible to unplug), or both?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
That is not exactly building my confidence. By terrible, do you mean quantity (multiple times per day), or quality, (terrible to unplug), or both?
Never seen plugs rated like that before, lol.
Any plug not clearable from the seat, sucks!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
More quantity. Mostly in dry canola where trying not to crack. When it gets into the evening and straw starts getting tough. I know a couple guys who run the stock cast and say it’s better and the sunnybrook is better yet. We only had the regular one in our CX’s. More of a problem in our cx8090 that was turned up compared to our cx860.

Plugging the cx cylinder was less frustrating then snapping the cr concave shear pin.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:27 PM
HI!

Quote:
Plugging the cx cylinder was less frustrating then snapping the cr concave shear pin.
When you go from CR to Claas you go from outhouse to penthouse of concave suspensions.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
jvw

So, what kind of time should one budget for unplugging the cylinder? The machine I am going to look at if the weather ever warms up has the Arnolds reversing wrench. I watched their video, looks simple and quick.

What is the procedure without the wrench? Can the concaves under the rear cylinders also be lowered easily if the slug makes it that far, or is that not an issue? I assume it is like anything else, and a plugged cylinder can quickly destroy a belt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page