CX-860 Concave Question - The Combine Forum
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CX-860 Concave Question

I run a CX860 and have some peas to harvest this year for the first time. I'm struggling to find information on what is needed for a concave, and unfortunately none of my neighbors harvest peas (maybe they will all get a good laugh at me when they watch me fight with them this fall

My concave has about 0.45" spacing between the wires as it sits right now. Because I've never had to do it, I'm not sure if I'm able to remove every 2nd wire from the concave, or if it is even necessary? At a glance, it looks like I'm able to pull every 2nd wire, but need to spend a bit of time with some wrenches to find out. I'm a little cautious to do this, because it looks like they might be a lot easier to take out than to put back in!

Or ... a guy could just post the question on the Combine Forum, and hope for a helpful reply. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks guys, hopefully there is some moisture headed your direction if you need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 12:47 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Have not run a cx 860, but have never pulled wires with cx 8080's for peas and have harvested some of the bigger green pea varieties - cooper and garde. Hopefully you rolled your peas/picked rocks and the nice stone trap will not even get a workout. Depending on what header you have you do not want to waste the precious harvest hours changing sections on Schumacher head as well. Your laughing neighbors may think you're lazy, but you may want to fool them by not starting to harvest until just before noon and shutting down by 630-7ish pm if Fall conditions are the way they normally are in west central ab and you will not find them too bad.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 10:33 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil08 View Post
shutting down by 630-7ish pm
Always has amazed me, the time between peas cutting great and cutting like **** can be as little as 5 minutes.
brazil08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Always has amazed me, the time between peas cutting great and cutting like **** can be as little as 5 minutes.
Cut good on the one swath turn around itís not so very good.

The stock concave on your CX should be fine for peas. We never pulled any wires in our cx to combine peas.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.
I'm far enough west that we seem to be restricted harvesting cereals between the hours of 11am and 9pm on good days. So, we will see how this pea thing works out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 09:29 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
The stock concave on your CX should be fine for peas. We never pulled any wires in our cx to combine peas.
Since youíve run both could you comment on concave clearance(s) and cylinder speeds?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-08-2019, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Quote:
Since youíve run both could you comment on concave clearance(s) and cylinder speeds?
Iíd say generally faster and tighter on Claas. But without running side by side in all conditions itís hard to say. Itís also a change of thinking to get us to convince the operator (Dad) that it works better to run like that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Yup you can run factory concave we have a 8080 with sunnybrook and a 8.80 with factory concave didn’t notice a difference in peas for cracks and we grew razor green peas the seeds are very large
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-09-2019, 12:40 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
I’d say generally faster and tighter on Claas. But without running side by side in all conditions it’s hard to say. It’s also a change of thinking to get us to convince the operator (Dad) that it works better to run like that.
I think in peas threshing with one pass systems (just Claas and CX NH I think) concaves tend to be run too open for good threshing of all the crop, better tighter and speed set to avoid splits. I never run over 12 mm..
brazil08 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 06-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
I think in peas threshing with one pass systems (just Claas and CX NH I think) concaves tend to be run too open for good threshing of all the crop, better tighter and speed set to avoid splits. I never run over 12 mm..
I will have to try this. Did try your tighter concave setting last Fall on canola and have to say that did not notice anymore cracks in sample. Of course at time was having to be extra careful(ie very slow) with some 36' quite heavy canola swaths and think having concave set that tight likely prevented me from having to try and bend that bloody awful, big wrench.

I know so little about combining I should take other people's advice more often. I just know when they are not working it gets very expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in