CX8080 feeder house plastic wear strips - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Anyone replace these? Have the feeder house off at the moment replacing top cylinder cover sheet. Anyway, the bottom 3 riveted short pieces are pretty much gone and the 3 longer ones aren’t far behind. I can imagine getting the short ones replaced with feeder chain in but can’t figure how you’d do the long strips. Remove feeder chain a must? I’ve got a cheap hand riveter that is quite hard to set a rivet that size with 2 hands working at your waste let alone arms stretched out in the feeder house. Is there better rivet guns out there? Used to have an air one I remember as a kid at old mans shop which worked good but it was huge and wouldn’t work in there. Any tips/advice appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Mags; Today at 02:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
We replaced those on our cx one year. It wasn’t that fun of a job with the hand riveter but I got it done. The feeder chain was pulled out but that’s about all I remember.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
It can be done with the feeder chain in. Is an easier job with 2 people. We have done ours twice. Swing the trap door open on the bottom, blow it all out good so the chaff and dust isn't falling down your neck and the crack of your arse. Grind off the old rivets on the outside. The top bolts they use are kind of a pain to get out as it's just a huge flat blade slot on top. The first time we did it, we started out with the rivets from New Holland, and they are freaking hard to get to pop. Ended up just using regular rivets we had left over from doing a tarp on our grain trailer, much easier and they out lasted the set of wear strips we put in. This fall we did them again, but only had the rivets from New Holland. After I ripped off a chunk of my finger, we came up with a better plan. One guy working the rivet gun, with a small piece of 2x4 placed under the bottom handle and a piece of pipe on the top lever for extra leverage, and one guy on the outside with a 5 or 6 foot piece of 2x4 prying down on the top of the rivet gun. That kept the gun from jumping when the rivet snaps and causing this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0688.JPG (2.16 MB, 1 views)

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Ouch! Ok thanks for reply’s. Will attempt with the supporting block and snipe. Hopefully... my fingers are spared. Thanks

Last edited by Mags; Today at 12:06 PM. Reason: Grammer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
Ouch! Ok thanks for replyís. Will attempt with the supporting block and snipe. Hopefully... my fingers are spared. Thanks
I did it with just the regular rivet gun and the new Hollandís rivets. If you go to town by the aluminum rivets and save yourself half the trouble. They are cheap for a box of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page