N series Gleaners are they really that bad - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
N series Gleaners are they really that bad

Ok let's beat another dead horse around
I would like to try a gleaner Combine and the N series seems very very cheap I have looked and read all the story's about them that are out there some good and some bad!! I get it that a person wants a series three N just I am a little scared cuz they are so cheap!! Remember I have a IH and a deere in the shed good combine but I am looking for something better(IH 1688 deere 8820) I like the looks and capacity of the N7 would like to Goto 12 row but don't do a lot of acres 200 of corn. Will a N7 handle a 12 row in 200 bushel corn?? How will it hold up being pushed??
Right now I am at 8 row would it be better at 8 row?? Thanks for the input!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
It's coming a time where when you look for an N series (preferably a 7 because of the engine while a fair bit of 6's have been updated) you want to scrap the idea of hours and look for a machine that's still running out there. Many of these combines at least in my area have 2-2500hrs, are in need of a rebuild, have never been updated and have been in the back of the shed for 15 years

I use to run one of these machines that's exactly what I described and they have capacity, they have power but there are updates over the years to make them better, a few modds that have likely been done if you find one still in use

I say go for it, they are cheap enough to buy a couple spares and parts machines

gleanerman likes this.

God Bless America
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Agree.. look for Series Three or later. The N-7 is supposed to have a more reliable engine than the six but I have had no problems with my N-6 engine. I have had two broken rear spindles on the N-6 (they are known for that) so I swapped the rear axle out with one of the newer styles from a R-50. The N-7 may have a heavier rear spindle setup but it's something you may want to check. I have no experience with corn heads but if a L-2 will handle a 8 row I see no reason why a N- 6 or 7 couldn't handle a 12 row
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Think gleaner was the first to offer a 12row head?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Remember we could be talking between 31 to 39 model years ago for the N series. We only had 1 year of warrenty then. Gleaner offered a kit called PAC 3 in 1982 for earlier machine for almost unbelievable price to upgrade any older machine. The first couple years did alot of harm to reputation and some still only have that memory. Things were refined greatly by 1982. Prior to 1982 the N6 engine was basically a hot rodded diesel engine. The engine lived well if treated like race car/diesel engine. You know warm up before reving and cool don prior to shutting down. In 1982 the fuel injction as refined very well and engine RPM reduced. Still need to treat engine like a diesel should be treated. It would be anyone guess how on of these 30 year old engines have been treated. Otherwise the machine is nuts and bolts and would need to be looked over just the same as any older machine. Cosmetic can mean nothing. After getting these machines equiped with shimmed or channel helicals the whole thing worked just great even in our tough conditions.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I find the N series combines are good machines. I run two N6 Gleaners. If you can get a good N7 I would jump all over it. I've ran a N7 in corn it's a beast compared to a N6 in my opinion. More than enough power to run 12 rows if your wanting too
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
we run a 81 N6 occasionally, and its a good old girl. IMO once they all got the update package they were plenty good, without updates, they probably had alot of suckage.

IIRC it was the letter S stamped on the SN plate to signify the update.

Like said above, the N7 is superior due to the 516 engine (official model 685I, 6 cyl, 8.5L, Intercooled) and huge 315 bu. bin.

The 6 and 7 are both 12 row capable, and I mean truly 12 row capable, lifts a 12 row at idle, no increase in pump, same rams, no rear weight, unlike other brands.

If cared for, they are reliable and have great capacity, if neglected, they will be a nightmare. Find a cared for one and you should get along great.
SWFarmService likes this.

Our farm purchases a combine soley on its ability to do an excellent job in all of our crops, while being fuel efficient, reliable, ruggedly built, and easy to repair. That is why we choose a Gleaner.

Last edited by gmguy; 12-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
I prefer the N series to the R62 myself. Many disagree with me but better workmanship and thought went into the N. Drive an N in extreme mud like this year and the difference is noticeable instantly. After a couple laps in the R you will likely find mud built up around the hydro belts and also the feeder house clutch pulley. Soon the mud falling in that area tears the wires off the seperator clutch and later on you will develop a noise from mud building in the pulley grooves in the wheel area. Then when you decide to quit for the day and it rains you will find yourself climbing into the R 62's inferior hard to clean, nook and cranny, hard to get into grain tank. N's were the ultimate for cleaning in this area. Simple design in the grain tank and way easier to service as well. Everything can be done from the ground greasing the machine not hanging like a monkey trying to grease the cylinder or popping the stone door for its daily clean. The N required one wrench from the ground where the R62 requires 2 and some knuckle sacrificing if not careful. The cab is bigger on the R but the placement of A/C knobs etc and Hydro handle made by Tonka toy company is a joke. Give me a N cab anyday. Nice and low and right where the action is up front. A N will travel up and down the field making circles around our R62 in crops that wrap bad. We just park the R when stuff starts wrapping. The N only suffers from a weaker auger hinge point and lower unloading auger height IMO. My N's have treated me well over the years. One I purchased had a new 8.3 mechanical installed. Bullet proof engine and R62 has the caps electronic garbage 8.3 which is forever throwing beeping codes and needed a new injection pump 3 years ago at under 2000 hrs. Air filter can't even be changed without opening the meatlocker door on the 62. Our 62 is a 2000 and has a vertical returns auger. Agco thought that this would be an improvement so you could return your canola returns back to the accelerator rolls instead of running it through the cylinder again. Concept was good where the design was not. Try and use this once and you will plug the return auger everytime as they didn't make it flow the returns easy and starts to build up with product and jams. The engagement of the main drive clutch on a 62 is a wham its engaged electric clutch. Replaced the solenoid 3 times on this in 6 years. The N has a hydraulically engaged clutch run electronically, activated with an accumulator built in the system for nice engagements everytime. R does have a nicer cage setup and no sweep but I have removed the sweep on my N's and never had a issue ever yet. No combine is perfect and improvements have been done by owners personally or updated by the manufacturer. Many of the N's out there have been updated to be great machines. Many are 30+ yrs old and still in service. If I could buy a brand new 84 N7 I would. They were a huge combine in their day and were a benchmark to beat in the day. When you consider an 860 Massey and 7720 and TR 70-75 were its competition it was king. I still remember seeing a N7 picking up a huge bly swath by Nipawin one time. We were rained out at home and went for some parts and watched this 7 pour out black smoke being pushed hard. There were 3 small grain trucks hauling from this beast of the day and could see the yard where they were hauling. The 8" auger was the bottleneck lol and the N would have to stop to let the trucks catch up. He would wait til 2 trucks were back in the field and the process would happen all over again. We had a 750 Massey which was a joke by comparison lol. I never owned an early R series but the early ones retained a lot of the N's good traits and likely many good ones were designed. Just don't see many of them anymore. You can still find more old N's than early R's
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 PM

I own a '83 N-6 and a '94 R-62 and have to agree with most of the points brought up by dookiller. I still prefer to drive the N and let someone else drive the R. Never could figure out why they built the 62 so high.... Greasing that u-joint in the grain tank is a real chore on the 62. Both my machines are in the 2600 hour range. When I bought the N at auction four other owners came over to talk, two had machines with over 8000 hours on them. We'll see if a 62 lasts that long.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I ran a couple N6's but that was a long time ago, I have a fellow combine forumer that has been bringing up his 62 from Nebraska and I got to say other than some wrapping of flax on the rear feed chain drive it's been flawless, I love it and keep trying to take it off his hands!

There was something about them N gleaners, I can't remember enough about them anymore but the entire rear feed chain system was at a lower angle, they seemed to feed rather well even with the old 400? Heads, I think a 700 or newer head would really wake one up plus an enclosed cylinder (PFP would be my pick) and some cage mods an N would give about any combine a run for its money.

There are some other obvious issues such as straw and chaff management that would need attention, few creature features like Sirius XM radio and LED lights but it's a pretty darn good chassis to work with with the only real but fixable exception would be the rear axle

gleanerman likes this.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page