New chopper knives with M12 hardware torque spec - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2013 S77

Has anyone put on the new chopper knives with the M12 hardware?

The old kits used to have a slip of of paper with the torque spec of 53# for the m10 bolts.

The 53# matches with the max torque for a m10 on a generic torque chart.

So I torqued the new hardware to 78# which is the medium torque for a m12 bolt and now the knives are locked solid to the rotor.

I’m not sure if I crushed the wear ring spacer things and will need to get new ones.

So does anyone know what to torque them to?

Last edited by straitpipe; 08-22-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:08 PM
drp

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Are these the same "longer life" chopper knives as in the S9's? what part number were these?

Didn't realize they went to m12 bolts. Will have to do mine next year so I cant help on your current question.

But how are you fitting these M12 bolts on your S77 chopper rotor that have M10 holes? The bushings and spacers are likely different sized as well.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The part # is 71485614.

It appears that they are the extended wear knives from the S9 series.

The knives look the same as the old ones but I didn’t measure the thickness of them.

The bushings and spacers look roughly the same just have a bigger hole in them. I didn’t measure them either but the cavity that protects the bolt head and the nut looked to be a little shallower.

Last edited by straitpipe; 08-23-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I have not seen the new "extended wear" knives. The standard ones are wore out in about 800 acres of beans. I have been going to experiment with putting a hard surface of some kind on a set and see what happens but never get around to it. I hate flipping them around or putting in new every year. No way over tightening has them locked down. Every time I flip or change mine I will get at least one with the piece that goes in the mount out of whack and it will be locked down when I tighten it but obviously catch that as soon as I get it tight and correct the mistake. For all of them to be locked down you had to put something together wrong on all of them or there is an issue with the bushing etc.. causing them to not fit correctly. Over tightening isn't the problem I would almost guarantee. .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:18 AM
drp

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Ok thanks for the description. Looking at what TinMan said above sounds like bolt torque is not the issue so maybe a problem with bushing/spacer? Maybe they gave you the wrong parts? I would ask dealer you bought them from to check the S9 service manual.

Last edited by drp; 08-23-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Sounds like you have the wrong bushing and knife combo. Overtorque should not cause knives to lock up. Are your extended wear knives carbide? I do not know about Gleaner choppers but Redekop carbide knife/bushing kits worth looking into on any other chopper. Worth the extra cost for sure and they stay sharp so mush longer. The carbide stays kind of serrated and cuts better even after lots of wear. I have sharpened mine with an angle grinder, weigh them into matched groups and run them again. I get a lot of acres of good performance out of a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page