Gleaner K - Raddle chain plugging up - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gleaner K - Raddle chain plugging up

Hi,

I am having an issue with the Raddle chain getting plugged up and stopping. I cleaned the dirt under the chain on the false bottom that has accumulated over time. It seems to be occurring more and I have to open the clean out door and remove the soybeans and stems out. The chain seems to be in specs of not more than 4" clearance according to the manual. After cleaning it the first time, I was able to fill the bin before it plugged. Then it happened again with 1/4 of the bin and then again going only a few hundred feet.

Any ideas what to look for?

When I open the access doors, there is a lot of soybean stems, etc.

Thanks
Sheldon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Perhaps a clutch or belt is slipping elsewhere and backing things up?

I don't run a K but the 4" clearance seems a bit much

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
A few things I remember from running G's years ago....
-are the bottom idlers OK ? early ones were just a fixed casting which could wear through and snag the chain.
4" clearance seems a lot, if you can lift the chain off the floor through the side access door a couple of inched that should be sufficient. too much slack and the chain will loop down over the rear drive sprockets and catch the return guides.
return guides under the false bottom can wear through and snag the chain.
Wooden or metal slats on the raddle ? check for bent metal ones or warped wooden ones.
Check the slip clutch and I seem to remember a roll pin breaking on either the rear drive shaft or on the sprockets themselves.
I also remember having to re-skin that false bottom because it had a hole in it.
With excessive slack the chain may have jumped a cog or two and be running crooked and the slats can't make it around the bottom lip.
Check the rear drive sprockets for material buildup. Flax used to wrap on the sprockets and stop the chain, soybean straw may do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
I’m thinking that maybe you need to speed up the cylinder quite a bit under the present conditions to make its discharge stay airborne in a long arch extending most of the way to the upper rear part of the raffle chain. As opposed to slowly depositing all of the bean material on the bottom of the raddle conveyor?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Had trouble with my L when I got it, plugging cylinder and raddle chain. The beater behind the cylinder had the slowest sprocket driving it. Changed to the fastest, helped send material back further and not get pulled back around by the cylinder and the raddle chain.
Are the soy stems tough/green? Green stems are no friend to these combines. How is the deflector above the raddles positioned? I keep mine turned up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

82L2, It seems that a lot of the soybean seeds and some broken stems are getting under the chain on both sides. The chain clearance is currently around 2-3" I think.
gleanerman, It has wooden slats, I have check things you mentioned and see what I find.

Haystack, When the riddle chain clutch starting skipping, the soybeans stems where at the bottom of the raddle chain and onward. So the cylinder speed also effects how far it throws the discharge? Does the thresher beater also affect how far they are thrown?

gleaner l, I will check the beater behind the cylinder, maybe it isn't working correctly. No green, the stems are a bit tough but had this problem in the fall also. As for the deflector above the raddles, is that the flap at the top of the raddles?

Thanks everyone for your information, I am going to take a look at it this weekend.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
for 4-600cyl speeds needed in beans,you have to use the 15T? sprocket on the beater behind the cylinder.DON'T use it in wheat! The feeder beater has no effect on your problem. Stems shouldn't be getting under the raddle.It sounds too loose and you need to inspect that false bottom on both ends to know that it isn't worn through ahead of the bends.Gleaner books were VERY good with instructions for adjusting things. I'd get a steel raddle from Manchester Manufacturing in OK.No regrets. They can supply new sprockests and idlers. Put them in my A2 and now F2.

Last edited by stevemcil; 02-18-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you removed the baffle that hangs under the grain bin auger? I always remove it when combining soybeans, when removed it lets the cylinder throw the stalks/stems on back in the throat of the machine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Sounds like the chain is too loose, and might be pulling too hard due to a locked up idler (if it has one)

IMO a call to these guys is in order. Manchester Mfg.

They solved the raddle problem years ago. roller chain, metal slats. dont forget to ask about the hillside raddle option. If yours is still the flat chain, you will need a drive sprocket retrofit and you might need an idler retrofit as well. The guys at Manchester can fix you up.

Our farm purchases a combine soley on its ability to do an excellent job in all of our crops, while being fuel efficient, reliable, ruggedly built, and easy to repair. That is why we choose a Gleaner.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I increased the cylinder speed, bolted the baffle up and lubricated one of the raddle chain idlers which wasn't spinning freely. It seems to be working good now.

Thanks everyone for help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page