Buying a gleaner n7 and truck and going on a harvest run - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Your plan doesn’t sound bad too me. I remember when I started on my own after my parents tried everything to talk me out of farming on my own. I started with a AC 180 and a Gleaner F. That was in 99 I have grown the size of the farm but you have to have plans for the future and expect set backs along the way. They will happen like it or not. I wish you good luck on your endeavor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulk eye View Post
What do you have against a N7? Your post doesnít give any reasoning to why. Iím just curious.
Donít do it!

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
As said above, I would line work up first and make it clear to guys what you have. Also, more trucks and bodies. I tried that idea just locally the last few falls of wet weather during beans. I raise mostly small grains, and with the cows still grazing I had time to "kill" and money need to make. Got turned down by more people than I thought I would, and the hitch was, I have 3 semis, a grain cart, and only 2 drivers. That and the other reason was, I have a CIH 8010. most guys look at a custom cutter with a 10 year old combine and then turn and look for a cutter that has a fleet and brand new machines.
Ether way, only you can talk yourself in or out of the idea. Good Luck!!

I should mention, I do know a couple different guys that did just what you are wanting to do, bought old machines, kept them up got a reputation and by no means are they huge, but they are doing what they love and making a living out of it. They both hang around their area though, the one guy travels maybe 200 miles from home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Well...that was me in 1982. (Sorry for the short story)

I bought a 1979 N6 from a very disgruntled neighbor for $2500... Did a little work, enough to buy a tandem and build a trailer. Did more work, not a terrible lot as by that time, Deutz was killing what was left of Gleaner's market share around my area with their engines and people didn't want to put the work in to have the updates done. So showing up with a series 2 n6... didn't always go to plan...(why the **** did you show up with that piece of "ahem")

Meanwhile my uncle in the valley bought his farm and shop by putting in updates by being a little cheaper than the dealer.(not just Gleaner updates, IH ones too) kinda shows the reason why people don't like Gleaner...

Sat and saved money, once the deutz mess was over and people forgot about the series 2, business picked up more. Eventually grew to 6 running at one time. I bought my current farm with that money and paid for college.

Never did much trucking...no one liked my trucking rate: pay for fuel and $1/hr...I ran 70s Ford trucks(still do) so at 4mpg empty and 1-3 loaded it didn't pencil out for them. Still don't do much trucking as now it's me and whatever relatives or neighbors I can convince to go along and tandems are "small" for the valley I guess.

Just remember with equipment that old and I guess "small" combine, it will depend on your word, so keep it.(a n7 can keep up with a 2388 in wheat)

Rate wise: I charge 25/acre(or 20 if they provide diesel), as does my uncle when he has the time to custom harvest...with a 1660.

My son is trying this too, as a way to pay for college and his own farm. So we'll see if it can still be done.

Edit: get a series 3 or later if possible but not a deutz powered one

Last edited by kochia; 02-22-2019 at 01:25 AM.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How many acres could I expect to do a day with a n7 we could do about a 100 or so a day in beans with a 8820 that's turned up in smaller fields
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was raised on a corn and soybean farm my dad had a N7 it was a beast of a combine. My dad likes it so much he has kept it tucked away in the shed for backup reasons and just the fact it was the first combine he hung a 12 row corn head on.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Would you guys be interested in selling it
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody4266 View Post
How many acres could I expect to do a day with a n7 we could do about a 100 or so a day in beans with a 8820 that's turned up in smaller fields
If I remember right the pami report say up to 25/hour...
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:12 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody4266 View Post
In dry conditions it will do nearly double the 8820 in barley. When it gets tough it will probably plug if you donít shut down soon enough. The N7 wonít spread the straw or chop it unless you can modify it some how.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page