Buying a gleaner n7 and truck and going on a harvest run - Page 8 - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
[QUOTE=gmguy;3321235]Did you guys ever get to play with a mid 84 or newer L3 with the big hydro? (7.25x7.25 Dennison Gold Cup like the N6/7)[
From 88 till 92 we ran 11 L2's ranging from 78's to 82's and one 84 L3 With the bigger hydro and different fuel pump it was a good bit better, 250 hp. would have came in handy in muddy rice fields. We painted all 12 of them to look exactly like the green stripe machines, everyone on the harvest run thought they were pretty low hr. machines. They all had over 2 thousand sep. hrs on them when we bought them, even the 84. Those 12 machines worked our ass's off in the winter time rebuilding them, but come summer wheat run, they would run all day long and half the night with very little work from June till November. My dad started running Gleaners in '55 all the way till '92. Sold all of them at auction and gave them away, the 84 went for 12 grand, the others, well you know. We then ran 6 9600's- 9610's. from '93 till 2000, pretty good machine but still loved the Gleaners. Since 2010 My son and I have gone back to Gleaner and have been more than happy with them. I've ran side by side with Deere and Case and the Gleaner is better in every way, hands down. Can't wait to put our new S97 to work this fall.

gleanerman and Grainline like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Probably too late but eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed farmer View Post
Fair point kochia, being away from home does change everything, it will take awhile to get relationships built up with clients and dealerships. But, in alot of areas using a gleaner will put you at a disadvantage against guys using newer Deere', caseih and claas machines. Plus there's way more green/red dealers out there if something does go south. Butler flew us to the claas plant in Omaha and they even said it's only very small selective areas that still have a loyal gleaner following. I'm not saying there not decent machines but why go that route if it's not helpful to the bottom line? I guess if a person doesn't want to "make millions" it doesn't matter, to me that's ass backwards thinking. And for the time being def isn't going anywhere.
Couple of comments here

1. I don't usually go to a dealer as I can get the parts from Napa, or someone, but even then I don't as I stock up ahead of time on common parts.

2. Every custom cutter(except one, but that was for saving straw, even then it was older Deere machines) I've seen uses Gleaner. I have never seen ones running red or green, the other green, in the last 5 years. I did see a Massey one, which was odd. Didn't see them do any work, but seen them move through. Then again I'm not hunting for them either.

3. Def is still a pain. Still have to carry it, unless you delete it, which I heard is popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed farmer View Post
I've heard good things about the s88, but isn't that a completely different animal than a n7? If a guy had new gleaners on a crew it would probably work out fine, as I said, n7 is just too old of machine to be competitive for clients.
One "class" bigger, and a bigger rotor(diameter)

I'm sure most would look at new equipment and think " well if they have that new of equipment, they must know what they're doing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmguy View Post
A slightly more viable plan, could a guy run 2 or 3 L2 or L3's instead? Could haul 2 at a time on a long combine trailer, 5000+ lb lighter than the rotary Gleaners, etc.

As far as the "respect" factor, lots more respect out there for a L3 than about anything.

One would need to improve the residue management, but past that, L3s are good rigs that wont need any processor modification to do a perfect job.
You can haul 2 rotary's on one long trailer. I came in around 70k with a l9000 and r75s. 2 l3s might be pushing it, I've never seen it done(I'd be worried about the walker length/height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbk View Post

Anybody run an L3 out there with an enclosed cylinder like PFP makes? From what I heard, that would put a Gleaner conventional in a whole different performance class. Might make it a whole lot better situation were a person to put one of those girls in the custom game.
I run a sunnybrook that's similar in my l2/l3 and I'm not really impressed. Not as aggressive as the factory. Seems to plug more too, but I've began to have issues with the drive since then too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page