Buying a gleaner n7 and truck and going on a harvest run - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Buying a gleaner n7 and truck and going on a harvest run

Would it be profitable to buy a gleaner n7 and a truck and going out west with a harvest crew. N7s are cheap and will keep up with some of the newer combines. Buying a 10 wheeler grain truck can be had for under 20k any thoughts. Not looking to make millions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
While they were a good machine, I would have thought most people would be looking for newer machinery from their contractor. You might have to discount the price a fair bit to get work with an older set up.
Not saying don't do it but would be careful.

post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Do you have any work lined up? I would make sure I have acres to cut before I bought a setup. If you can prove to customers that you can give a good sample and cut on a timely manner I would think you could pay for it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Iím going to guess you are fairly young, Iíd hate to see you go into this with your heart instead of your head.
If not looking to get get rich anyway perhaps you could join a harvest crew to gain some background in the business, if itís something that appeals to you after a season then you could pursue that.
Ozzie and Nodust like this.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
N7 is not a new combine so if it completely gone through to make sure that it has the ability to put in a days work without stopping then yes. Machines only make money when they are running and so does the farmer you are working for. They were a heck of a machine in their day. Capacity and comfort were second to none. Watching a N7, oh so many yrs ago in barley, impressed me so much I had to own a gleaner lol. There were 3 grain trucks hauling from it on the go and you could see the yard from the field and they couldn't keep up. She was rolling coal hard and flying in that barley and then would have to stop lol to wait for a truck. I still can't believe how well they do in barley. They manage to keep it in as well no matter how hard you seem to push.
chance2 likes this.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
I wouldn’t hire a N7 if it was free so you’d sure want your job locked in and they understood what your showing up with.
Nodust likes this.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
What do you have against a N7? Your post doesn’t give any reasoning to why. I’m just curious.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
We ran them back in the day so it’s coming from experience. The residue handling is horrible, didn’t spread properly or spread chaff. They rumbled like crazy in green stems and after all the hyper mods just threw small grains out over the rotor like crazy but fed good at least. Then we’re talking about a +-30 year old machine? I’d think if a guy is going to pay for custom work you’d want something showing up that was going to me the model of reliability.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I plan on going on harvest this year with someone then next year have my own setup and work with a smaller cutter. I grew up on a 8820tt2 but I always liked the gleaners.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Trucks, trucks and more trucks. Then trying to find bodies to put in the trucks.

Be it farmer or custom, it's hard to get enough help and trucks to keep up with the combines and then sit in line at the elevators.

Nothing wrong with starting small and growing, but got figure out how to keep the things moving over some acres.

Our crew is all Gleaners that started as a young guy with an L or an M which over the years he grew to N's and R's and more machines and trucks, and now been working together for 30+ years now. So some people pick the man, over paint color.

Have fun on harvest and see what you learn.

gleaner-r76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page