WTB raised feather sheets for 320 header - The Combine Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Unread 05-19-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
oak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTB raised feather sheets for 320 header

Hello I would like to find a set of raised feather sheets for my 320 header or dimensions of them , photos so I can make my own any information on this would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Unread 05-19-2019, 11:51 AM
tbk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm guessing you're having trouble feeding short soybeans?

Can't help on the raised feather sheets, don't really know who or how they make them, but I can give some advise on how to make your 320 feed better.

Simplest and best solution, though the most costly, is an air bar. That will cure a lot of the problems with a 300 series head, overcoming the distance issue of the knife in relation to the table conveyor.

If I was going to improve the feeding, without air assist, there's a couple things I would do. First is to replace the feather sheets with single sheets, kinda like on the later model heads. That'll smooth out the flow across the floor. Less hump and restriction to the cut beans. The other thing that's really cheap is the hose mod behind the knife to keep the cut beans standing long enough for the reel tines to catch and carry back towards the conveyor. Too, positioning the conveyor more forward to close the gap some will help also, but that adjustment is limited. Another mechanical help is the addition of belting to extend the reach of the reel tines and sweep the knife without getting caught in the works.

Everything you can do to shorten the time the cut beans spend on the knife is going to help.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Unread 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
oak

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to install one piece feather sheet but had talked to a friend that only works on gleaners he said raised sheets where the way to go . I’m only going by what he recommend I have replaced the front feather sheets but along with poor feeding they do not stay down especially the center sheet agco dealer told me to put a John Deere header on it . But I just don’t like the idea of a green header on a silver combine. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Unread 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM
tbk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Ok, I'm thinking you've got a 320 that fits an L or M? Regardless, your friends suggestion of a Deere head really isn't that bad depending on the condition of your 320. If your 320 needs a complete overhaul...ball ends, stabilizer bushings and pins, new floor metal, straighten or replace skid plates, the whole litany of things that restrict movement to up and down, not side to side, that gets pretty spendy , pretty fast! Depending on what Deere head and it's condition it might or might not be much of an improvement. The thing is, there's just a whole lot more Deere heads floating around out there to choose from versus Gleaners to fit your combine. Of course, you still need to figure in an adapter.

So, what kind of shape is your head in, and how long do you intend to keep this combine/head combination? If its a short term fix i think id opt for the hose mod before i spent money on raised feather sheets. That's really going to determine which direction to take this.

Last edited by tbk; 05-20-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in