Smart Cooling Sensor Low Voltage - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Smart Cooling Sensor Low Voltage

Hands started my S88 a month or so ago to back it out of the shed and there was raccoon laying up in the radiator area by the fan. Needless to say there was raccoon splattered all over the engine bay. No visible damage can be seen but I get a code that pops up on the screen when I start it that says "Smart Cooling Fan Sensor Voltage Low". I can't find any wire damage anywhere. Maybe the code has nothing to do with the coon incident? If it said NO voltage I could say there was a wire broke somewhere, Voltage Low..not sure what this means. Any ideas on what this could be, what to look for or just call the dealer to come check it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Determined fan system is junk. Not one in North America according to my dealer. Have to get it from manufacturer in Brazil. 8 weeks AGCO says to get one and $5000

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Can you get it from a combine junk yard? There are a few up here in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 AM
HI!

Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
I would like to think that a unit new enough to have a Smart Cooling Sensor wouldn’t be in any combine junk yards yet!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Fires happen all the time, however a fire would probably ruin the engine bay first.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Barn
"Sensor voltage low" means that there is a short to ground somewhere.... [pulling the voltage down]
If a wire is broken or disconnected it will throw "sensor voltage high"

So I assume there is a hyd cooling fan motor, in which the speed is controlled by a solenoid...?
And is there a temp sensor somewhere in that area aswell?

Typically sensors use a 5 volt or 7 volt reference signal from the computer.
This is relatively low current also, small wires [delicate]
If there a few different connectors in the vacinity, try unplugging them one by one and see what code develops... it may guide you to the circuit that is giving problems
If you unplug one and the code changes [without an additional code] at least you know what set of wires to trace.
torriem likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Some good news. I got the manufactures name, SN and PN off the fan, called them direct. Have a rebuild kit for $650 on its way. Flexx Aire is the manufacture in Edmonton Alberta. From what I can find out talking to one dealership in Indiana the 9 series Gleaners use a different manufacture for the fans so all indications are AGCO pretty much threw us 8 series owners to the wolves and moved on. To not have a fan or parts for it in the USA is a poor deal but it doesn't surprise me with AGCO.
adsinaus likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Some good news. I got the manufactures name, SN and PN off the fan, called them direct. Have a rebuild kit for $650 on its way. Flexx Aire is the manufacture in Edmonton Alberta. From what I can find out talking to one dealership in Indiana the 9 series Gleaners use a different manufacture for the fans so all indications are AGCO pretty much threw us 8 series owners to the wolves and moved on. To not have a fan or parts for it in the USA is a poor deal but it doesn't surprise me with AGCO.
That is good news you found a possible solution to your code problem. I live near Edmonton and have seen Flexx Aire at trade shows and heard of them quite frequently in off road equipment. One of the features that always impressed me with their system was the automatic ability to reverse momentarily to release debris that gets held on a rad screen by the air flow. I do not know if they have survived the dark ages of the current Alberta economy but if you have a rebuild kit on the way that sounds promising. I believe they are a solid company with a great product. Hope your rebuild kit gets you going.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Got the fan fixed and back on the engine. I put a new rotary union and sensor on while I was there. Figured the wire may be damaged and this is what caused the low voltage error code. Also got a fan position sensor error code. Another reason why I put a new sensor and rotary union on. I am still getting these same codes after replacing everything. No other wire could have been damaged in the coon accident. I am wondering if we don't need to plug into the combine computer and tell it we have a new sensor and clear the error code? Flexxaire was great to do business with, very helpful and probably the best set of instructions on how to rebuild something I have ever had. No written details on instructions, just multiple drawings with notes here and there. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Transaxial likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
If you don't mind telling me how much was the rotary union. I need to replace mine and was quoted $1200 Au from there aussie distributor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page