What are the downsides of Gleaners? - Page 11 - The Combine Forum
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
I will give a shout to Trochu Motors on your overall dealership experience 712!

Readers should know 712 farms in a big crop, thick straw and with canola even up to 712ís chest (712 is very tall) area.

I have this theory that says the finer the straw exiting the more power and fuel it took to make it that way.
S series have a bigger diameter cylinder/rotor but the tip speed is likely the same with settings to allow proper threshing.
Did you have a feel for fuel use, especially when dropping straw, between the machines?
Imagine it just would be gut feel this far out.

The later the calendar the less loss monitor readings matter, the two pretty much read linearly, ha ha!

Thanks for the well thought out report 712!
Your Probably right on the power to grind up the straw Don. I think the fuel consumption was about the same on both of the Gleaners. The massey burn more fuel. 2-3 us gal per hour more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Oh wait you mean this thread was titled please polish my Gleaner knob???...

Even 712 listed a pretty sickening list of grief on Gleaners last crack at getting some market back.

Iím not sure what machines heís running now but the lone Gleaner guy in our area had a new S series and has since gone to the Massey. I talk to him fairly frequently and have never thought to ask but I will now!

All the road shows in the world isnít bringing it back if itís not there.
Personally, the issues we had could have been solved if they would have brought the machine up to Canada to test it in some hard conditions. Long wet straw and wet ground conditions. It really seemed like they put together a ok machine, and put it on the market a year early. Had they sorted out the issues we had before we bought it, we probably would just now be thinking about trading it off or would have up graded last year, instead of after the second season.

Our dealer sells way more Massey than Gleaner, always have. I think they like it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrod View Post
Well Joesixknob I wouldn't even know where to find a Lexion owner to ask around here. A Lexion dealer would go broke around here.
The problem with Gleaner is Agco do not push it, It's all about Massey for them here which they sell less of. I know how well Gleaner performs for me and how cheap it is to run year after year. The Likes of you putting **** on anything else which isn't Claas at every opportunity you can, but if anyone says anything against Claas you cry foul and carry on with your drivel.
I have tried many times not to reply to your comments but the likes of you are ruining this site with your crap
silverrod, I'm really surprised that Gleaners don't sell better in Australia. I have never been to your neck of the woods, but from the pictures I see and the general crop conditions that I hear about, I would think that they would be an ideal machine. I know ours loved it when the crop was dry, the temp was warm, and there was not a lot of straw, they'd go at it like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet. If you were to put a stripper head on it, I would think it would be quite the machine. But I have never been to your area, so I could be completely off base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Just left Fendt day at Pentagon Farm/Alberta Harvest Center, Miles and I cornered an Agco rep.
Gleaner to continue as usual.
Red Massey platform to slowly be phased out, 2/3 years kinda thing.
Ideal to be sold under Fendt in NA, Ideal 10 on the way.

Thus ends all of my knowledge on Agco combines marketing plan for NA.
Thats what I have heard as well. I also heard that Trochu might start bringing in the odd gleaner on there stock order until the Ideal proves it self. This could just be sales guy talk. In my opinion this Ideal combine is going to be the wild card in the field for the next couple of years, until it either proves to be a great machine or just a mediocre machine. Looking at the one they had at the Red Deer show last fall, all I could really tell is that there is a lot going on on that machine with drives and belts. Looks like limited access to the insides to service internal components. Also, with out really getting into it, it kind of looked like a pain in the rear to change any of the belts, and do any service work on. But thats just looking at it threw the sea of hutterites.

I would think that in the day and age of Amazon, and rapid delivery of products all over the world that the Ag guys could take a page out of there book and get parts shipped quicker. Working on the gleaner was easy and straight forward. Some of the maintenance could use a little better planning on the part of the AGCO engineers but I think the basic simplicity of the machines is why so many guys ran them for as long as they did.

I was wondering if you were heading up to that deal. I was planning on going but was dealing with truckers, who don't understand what a frigging clock is or how to use a phone to tell you their going to be hours late, so unfortunately I missed going up there. Interestingly enough Pentagon was listed as a Gleaner dealer on the Agco website, up until Agriterra purchased Kasha equipment. I don't think they sold one in years, but they could have still ordered you one. They are still listed as a Massey combine dealer. So being that they are a big Fendt dealer, did you ask, or do you think that they are going to sell the Ideal, or stick to Claas?

Statistics are like a Bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal, is vital.

Aaron Levenstien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post
Personally, the issues we had could have been solved if they would have brought the machine up to Canada to test it in some hard conditions. Long wet straw and wet ground conditions. It really seemed like they put together a ok machine, and put it on the market a year early. Had they sorted out the issues we had before we bought it, we probably would just now be thinking about trading it off or would have up graded last year, instead of after the second season.

Our dealer sells way more Massey than Gleaner, always have. I think they like it that way.
Its not that Canada is the only place that gets crappy harvest conditions, but I think that we get them more consistently than the wheat belt in the states. I figured I should clarify that before someone jumps down my throat. The more northern you go, the shorter the window to harvest, and there fore the conditions that harvest takes place in are often kind of crappy.

Transaxial, SWMan and white owl like this.

Statistics are like a Bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal, is vital.

Aaron Levenstien
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4578 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post
So being that they are a big Fendt dealer, did you ask, or do you think that they are going to sell the Ideal, or stick to Claas?
From the outside looking in it would appear to put Pentagon/Alberta Harvest Center in a bit of a bind, not wanting to hurt a successful relationship with either group.
At this point the intention is Fendt tractors and Claas combines, status quo.
Transaxial and white owl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Pentagon can't sell the Ideal as of yet even if they wanted to, only Trochu and Agriterra in Alberta. As far as I'm concerned Pentagon can pound sand. They travel four or five hours north to sell Fendt's and Challanger's in the Peace but won't drive 50 minutes south to our area. Imo they are probably the worst Agco dealer in Alberta and this includes the 11 or 12 cluster frack Agriterra stores.
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
stick to what is proven, our window is just too short and time too precious to be a guinea pig.Pentagon has come up here to do some service and setups, a pentagon combine is different than a Tingley combine.
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
The N's, R's and 2 series sold quite well here. We had a good dealer here who sold a lot of machines and later on took on NH which Agco were not happy about so he ditched Agco. Agco IMO don't promote and push Gleaner, it's all about Massey even though they sell more Gleaners, very rarely do you see a Gleaner ad. We had strong pockets of Gleaners in my area (most of which I might add were not modified in anyway) but those owners have nearly all gone Red and some NH. Their main reason being lack of support. When you have other makes knocking on your door for demo's with good deals and you have to chase a deal to stick with Gleaner what do you think will happen. JD also have been very aggressive with pricing. I have to agree with Joesixpack they seem to be a dying breed. Only the diehards are sticking with them. The N series issues tarnished the reputation and that's all non Gleaner people want to bring up. My son in law who works with me is as green blooded as you could get and he will never say a good word about my Gleaner to anyone even though he has got no grounds to bad mouth it, but he does. Many people went to Class 8/9 machines but the trend seems to be going back to class 7 as most years class 8/9 use a lot more fuel for no more gain although a few people are starting to go 60' to make use of the class 8/9
As you said 712 they are perfectly suited to our dry, hot harvest conditions. I have harvested with a few different makes and the Gleaner always shines and just keeps going day after day.We have a maximum allowable moisture of 12.5%. So most times perfect harvesting conditions
Another issue with Gleaner is that with CTF gaining popularity it does not suit the offset feeder house of the Gleaner with the choice of only 1 type of header to make it work. Our crops are generally not heavy enough for residue to be an issue with the spreading and most times it's all shredded up anyway
gleaner-r76, SW-Vic and Transaxial like this.
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
So a couple questions on this:

Is this how your coffee shops and Cafe's go in the winter? Someone asks a question, 1/8 give an answer, 3/4 argue amongst themselves, and the other 1/8 argues on a different issue? Then while you are arguing in the cafes and shops the rest are inventing random things that farmers didn't know they needed?

What is it with Claas and Gleaner on this site? Gleaner has been in the process of being shut down as far back as I can remember here and Claas is the best combine in the world, absolutely nothing wrong with it(except it's heavy and oversized), then again there's what? 20 people here?

I don't think I will ever understand you people...

Also you forget that there's a country to the south that likes custom combining, and you can fit two Gleaners on a trailer and be legal, then if you want to stretch that, in most states you could even pull the headers behind it and still be legal.
silverrod, Grainline and kevlar like this.
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Yesterday I went down to watch the World of Outlaw late model racing at Grand Forks and took a detour from our usual route. The aim was to buy a nice 7000 AC tractor that popped up on the CND $ side of the border, which I did to add to my working classics. There is no reason for my wife and daughter in law to turn their skin into tanned leather on an open tractor just because they’ve shown an interest in driving a bumpy little tractor out in the great wide open and raking some hay.

I was in too much of a hurry to stop, but it looked like Drummond’s had four or five new Gleaners lined up at the front door along HWY 2. I could be wrong, but they looked kinda shinny! I might check them out when I stop to look at the old headers in the long grass next week!

Last edited by Haystack; 07-13-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Yesterday I went down to watch the World of Outlaw late model racing at Grand Forks and took a detour from our usual route. The aim was to buy a nice 7000 AC tractor that popped up on the CND $ side of the border, which I did to add to my working classics. There is no reason for my wife and daughter in law to turn their skin into tanned leather on an open tractor just because theyíve shown an interest in driving a bumpy little tractor out in the great wide open and raking some hay.

I was in too much of a hurry to stop, but it looked like Drummondís had four or five new Gleaners lined up at the front door along HWY 2. I could be wrong, but they looked kinda shinny! I might check them out when I stop to look at the old headers in the long grass next week!
I'm just waiting to hear the price on that new Lexion, then I probably will head over there too and see what's up for a Gleaner demo.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Oh if youíre going to go and tire kick those things youíre going to need some more Gleaner economics propaganda to square any potential one on two deal.

I think you would need to toss out the grain losses calculation for sure when comparing Gleaner to Claas, Iím not sure about the rest of the trading and wear parts formula that starts at about 10:30 into the clip.

A pair of those might look pretty good if a big farm came up in the area close to you that needs to be broken into two or more pieces for the local buyers to bid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page