3Likes
  • 2 Post By MF cowboy
  • 1 Post By silverrod

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Clean grain elevator sprockets

Had to put new clean grain sprockets in before wheat this past summer. Combine has 620 Sep hours on it, had 240 when I bought it. Had a new elevator chain when I got it but not sure on sprockets, didn't pay attention. Seems the sprockets wear out quickly, mine should have been changed long before I did, they were really bad but they are such a pain to replace. Gleaner he been using same sprocket since back in the 70's, doesn't fit the chain worth a flip, the valley's between the teeth are flat not round to fit the chain. Sprockets are $80 each, got to buy 2 bearings because you have to destroy 2 just to replace sprockets. Roughly $180 for parts to replace the sprockets. I would pay more money to have a quality sprocket. Looked around on internet trying to find something better than factory sprockets but not found anything. Anyone know of after market sprockets for a Gleaner?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Yes there is a place that makes elevator sprockets USA made I believe.
Can't remember the name.
I have seen their website.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
https://blackaceparts.com/sprockets-...ller-chain.php
This is what I had in mind.
Transaxial and 82L2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Split style is the only way to go. Easy install and fast. Loctite a must I bet. The removal of the old sprocket is the worst but once that's done once the next time is a breeze.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've got over 2500 separator hours on my L2 and I've only changed bottom sprocket on the elevator once but it is due for another anytime. I got real lucky at a dealer close out auction and bought a $20 box lot that 3 of them plus couple sets of the shaker hanger bushings.
Is the shaft running faster than necessary? Maybe previous owner sped it up for a heavy corn crop?
I do keep the elevator chain adjusted and make sure the upper bearings and bin load auger are not binding.
Where are you getting the expensive bearings? Hopefully not through Agco.
Think mine are standard 1". I get most bearings direct from a bearing supply or through local automotive jobber. I just pick which brand of bearing I want.
I've seen the split sprockets on used machines but haven't asked the owner how well they worked.
Let us know how you make out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Slow the elevators down . each series they keep speeding them up for corn and they go way to fast for all other crops. Easy to do on an 8/9 series machine. I made a way of doing it and I think Dan Hurtt made up a kit from it. The bottom one you just drill out the rivets on the side plate and take it off.
Transaxial likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My F2 has the speed up kit for corn and it's way more than needed for beans. I made up a larger sprocket(driven) for the clean grain auger which drives the clean grain elevator. It is slower than factory stock setup. Think the chain will last longer and don't seem to have as many splits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page