8 Row Chopping Head on R76? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
8 Row Chopping Head on R76?

Hi all! I'm a long time reader of the combine forum, but this is my first post. Anyway, I have a bit of a question regarding R76 Gleaners and 8 row chopping corn heads. My boss is considering a new (to him) combine in a year or two, and a gleaner could potentially be an option. He wants a simple combine, and I know that in that regard a gleaner would be perfect, but would an R76 handle an 8 row 30" chopping corn head with the variable speed header drive? The corn header would likely be a hugger or a geringhoff. The corn yields would not be over 200bpa. How reliable will the variable speed drive be with that load? Will it work, but still prematurely wear out the drive? Or will it not affect the reliability or longevity of the drive? If the variable speed drive is not practicably workable, how well does the fixed speed drive work on a corn head, or any other head or crop for that matter? We do wheat, barley, canola, oats, canary seed, millet, navy beans, soybeans, and corn. Canola would be the biggest concern other than corn with a fixed speed drive. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Bump! Surely someone has input on this. I should also mention that the biggest competitor to an R76 as far as our combine options would be a 9770 JD. My boss has it in his head that although the gleaner is easier to work on, it will need to be fixed more/more often. Is there any truth to that? Feedback on that would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No, no truth to it. Was around 9670s for 5 years. They broke down, the same as any Gleaner if not more. Plus when they did the parts were twice to three times as high as a Gleaners.

I dont think a chopping corn head would hurt anything on a R76, but haven't been around one. An 8 row chopper on a 9670 will. Gleaners drive setup is better than deere or to me it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Only know of one being run in the area and its a fantini. He ended up upgrading the drive setup to a s series.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallchev View Post
Only know of one being run in the area and its a fantini. He ended up upgrading the drive setup to a s series.
Do you know if any mods to the combine itself were necessary in order to do that, or was it simply pull the old drive off and bolt on the new? Was the original drive giving him issues with the load from the head? Thanks for the feedback so far! The reading on the forum that I have done also tells me that the gleaner unreliability rumor is false, but it is always nice to hear more feedback on that topic, thanks again! 😁
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a Geringhoff Rotodisc on an S series (heavier drive). So far so good with lotsa acres on it. I use AGCOs high temp grease and lots of it on the torque sensor pulley.

If I where to use an R76 on it it my conditions (200 +bushel corn) and planned on keeping combine for several years I would likely opt for the fixed speed drive. To my surprise when using a Geringhoff I see very little reason to change head speed anyway and I wouldnt miss it. Also, I would likely change the two bearings on the drive shaft every 500 hours...I believe then it would be a very dependable system.

As for repairs...I have no direct experience with JD. I believe however when you compare a Gleaner to any axial machine the $ spent on wear items will likely be much lower on a Gleaner than the competition...a lot less moving parts! As for $ spent on breakdowns (broken shafts, etc...) i dont know, I hear guys complain all the time about all brands. With combines the vintage of an R76 a lot of the repair costs will depend on previous owners maintenance. I also have an R72 with 5700 hours still a very dependable combine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page