9250 problem. Again. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Ran a 35' 9250 for 4 or 5 years. I feel your pain. I do not believe your issue is from any type of hydraulic problem. As you state, no pressure or pressured up you still have the same problem. Looking at the picture taken from in the shop and the over head door about half shut there are some arms about half way between the center draper and the right hand side (as viewed in the picture) is bent down. Outside arm on right side in the picture could be bent UP some but my money is on couple arms between center draper and outside of head are bent down. Bent down can happen from having header up and hitting a ditch/hole and bouncing the combine which makes the cutter bar jump up then slam down against the pins, with the arm extending out 3 or 4 feet past the pins and the weight of the cutter bar on the end can bend the arms especially if they have been bent in the past. It's just 1.5'' x 3'' rectangular tube. Obviously bent down can happen from sticking cutter bar in the dirt. You would know when that happened. Outside arm bent up can happen when head is on ground and combine falls into a ditch or hole and slams the outside edge of header on the ground and possibly have some weight of the combine pushing down depending on how far combine drop in low spot. These types of issues are exactly why I went to an FD75 MacDon. Good luck with getting it lined out, I know how frustrating it is.

We only ran our 9250 for one year and had so much grief with it that we also went with the fd75. That is a built head, no bending cutterbars or stupid arms under the drapers and the drapers are twice as thick. That 9250 cost us a ton in down time and also cost $150 an acre to get out of it but it was worth that hit. Neighbor had one on a Massey also same troubles, his put up with it for 3 years before going with the fd75

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferag View Post
We only ran our 9250 for one year and had so much grief with it that we also went with the fd75. That is a built head, no bending cutterbars or stupid arms under the drapers and the drapers are twice as thick. That 9250 cost us a ton in down time and also cost $150 an acre to get out of it but it was worth that hit. Neighbor had one on a Massey also same troubles, his put up with it for 3 years before going with the fd75
I guess I was lucky, I love my 9250 header I bought it new in 2012 and it has been an awesome header.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
BMC

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I like the head. It's simple and does an excellent job. This will be our 4th season with it. But we bought it used and after getting it back to the shop it looks like the previous owners didn't know what they were doing with it and I think they wrecked it into the ground a number of times. Honestly I think that's a lot of what we're fighting, you can fix and fix but if it's been screwed up so many times you can just never get it back to the way it was or should be. But there are also areas that should have been built heavier. This is an early 50 series and I think they changed a lot of those problems on the later 50 series and even more changes on the 55 series.

I've looked at MacDon and they look like a nice head. There's a number of guys I know running them and they really like them. Definitely wouldn't be afraid of switching brands to them, and that may be the way we go when it's time to get a new one. But after looking at them there's still some things about the Gleaner I like and wouldn't be afraid of a 55 series at all. I've heard a lot of good about them as well the last couple years. A lot of improvements over the early 50's. I have a dealer that sells both and I may talk to him this winter and whatever he thinks is best probably go that direction. And another dealer is trying to get us to look at a Geringhoff.

But we've done so many updates and have gone completely through this head it's hard to walk away from with with all the time and money into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
BMC

After the last two days I can say I'm about 100% certain my next draper will be a MacDon. But I keep hearing about all the changes and improvements on the 9255's...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I like the way the 9250 operates in regards to being mechanically driven. Its simple and easy to work on. After that there isn't anything that excites me about it. The skid system is iffy, the arms are easily subject to bending as you well know. Reel doesn't get close enough to the cutter bar but this isn't just an issue with the 9250, any flexible cutter bar of any color is this way. The fingers can't get any closer to the cutter bar than the distance the cutter bar can raise up. I have not been around a 9255 or even seen one up close to look at. If they haven't done something with the draper belts to keep trash from getting in between the belts then they still have a big problem. In double crop beans I would need to clean the trash out almost every time I got a hopper full. I didn't and it would kick my butt, the trash would try and go around the idler at the which over tension the belt and cause rips and tears in it. If you put a wedge kit between the head and the feeder house you can make it get flat enough to help with the push ups at the cutter bar in double crops and loose fluffy material on the ground but then the back side of the head gets so close to the ground you start to push up on the back side. I know the 9255 has a different skid system but from what I can see in pictures and read about it, it is the same as the 9250 except on the 9250 you could have low profile skids or high profile. 9255 profile is in between the low and the high of the options on a 9250. So we didn't fix anything we just limited the options you had so you didn't have to sit in the seat wondering if the opposite profile of what you were running would be better. I ran both when I had mine. The high profile for our conditions was a horrible choice, just horrible. I still love the fact that on the MacDon the header floats on springs and if the combine bounces across a ditches or whatever the head doesn't get pounded on the ground and can move around independent of the combine. I don't know your location or what crops you are cutting but if doing soybeans I feel if you got a MacDon you will keep asking your self why you didn't get one sooner.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BMC

I agree with you in the mechanical drive. It's simple, efficient, and extremely effective. I also like the hydraulic cutter bar. Watching neighbors with MacDons I feel we get get a little better cut in the really uneven parts. But I wouldn't complain with how a MacDon cuts either, still does a good job.

I haven't looked at a 9255 up close to see what all has changed, just keep hearing that so much has changed that it's a whole different animal from the 50's. Especially the early 50's which is what we have. We've got one AGCO dealer that won't even sell a Gleaner draper anymore, MacDon only, because of all the problems. Got another AGCO dealer that has sold a ton of 55's and says the changes and improvements are worth it. There's just a lot of beefing up the 50's needed that I feel they haven't addressed on the 55's even without looking too close at them. That's the downfall of the Gleaner draper, they're not made to last or hold up. Things bend and break easy and bearings need replaced every 2-3 years, shafts break...

Put a wedge kit in 2 years ago when we had an R66, and it's worked great as far as keeping it from plowing. Have it on an S97 this year and the higher ride height of these new series of combines pretty much has us back to square one for being a plowing SOB again. Even with the wedge kit still in it. But again, that's one of the changes on the 55's I'm told is that they changed the angle on the head. But I've noticed I'm having problems digging dirt again with this one.

A lot of the problems we're having this year is just that it's getting age and acres on it and wore out. But we've fought it so much over the past three seasons and now onto a fourth that I just don't have the energy to mess with it anymore. Had a drive shaft going into the right hand wobble box break after the first round the very first day we started. Just wore out, but partly because of a poor design. Started making a bad knocking noise a while after getting it going again. Spent a day fixing this and that and never could get it solved. And of course more plowing issues...

I think they've got the right idea but they need to get some stuff hammered out a little better and change a few things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page