The Combine Forum banner

Front feeder house pivot shaft failure on s78

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Smallchev 
#1 ·
Is this a common problem on the super series? Any updates to shaft size! This is after 600 hours. Was doing canola with tough igreen stalks. Finally drying up and I am broke down. Shouldn’t feeder slip clutch or belt snap before twisting shaft.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a bad deal. Yes clutch should slip to prevent this or the belt would break before shaft I would think. My gut feeling is the shaft had an imperfection in it from the get go and it finally failed. Have you slipped the clutch before? I will slip mine once in a while and a chunk of wood or if I get a big wad of green stuff come all at once. I have not heard anything about this being a common issue but that doesn't mean anything. I run an S88. Could your clutch be locked up and not working?

#4 ·
Did you buy he machine new ? Ive seen it a few times on the R series but never on a S. I know when they first come out the slip clutchs where to light for canola. I know a few guys (me included) that shimmed the clutches with washers to make then harder to slip just for doing canola.

#6 ·
It was a demo. So I’m not sure if the slip clutch was modified. The feeder house modifications were done to it. My amazing dealer had all the parts and got me going again. My new problem is that there is canola leaking onto my cylinder belt causing it to slip. Can’t seem to find where it’s coming from. Been inside the tank trying to find a hole that it leaked from.

#8 ·
The canola is leaking from the tank where the elevator is being driven from. Once the hopper is half full the canola slowly trickles out and drops down onto the rotor drive belt and eventually greases it up. I've used a tire tube and sealed off the bottom of the elevator. Just get it close to the area and the crop will hold it in place so you don't have to go crazy mounting it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.