duetz or stay away - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
duetz or stay away

I own a 94 r62 with a cummings with about 4500 eng hrs, its been very trouble free. I found a 93 r62 with a duetz with 3500 eng hrs, very clean combine. It needs alot of wear parts replaced, cyl bars, helical bars, and a couple of augers. The price is right, and I can do the work my self. I want to replace my L3 should I be wary of the duetz and keep looking, or dive in and replace it if it causes problems? I have never been around the v8s, but have worked on many duetz 913's and i own a duetz 9170, with the 6 cyl verson of the v8, It has 9000 hrs @ over 250 hp at pto, its never been touched. Thank for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
You sound like u have experience with the engine... i think u will be alright. Most of the issues are upkeep related.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a r70 with a duetz air deseil and have had no trouble with the engine and the machine sat for three years then we bought it and went through it all we replaced was the bars and belts but we have taken good care of the engine and have never had to do anything but change oil and change filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 PM

I have a 95 Gleaner with the 330 HP Deutz with 4000 hours. It may blow up tomorrow but so far has been very trouble free with plenty of power and a great torque curve, I use straight 40 weight oil and I never add oil with a 100 hour drain interval . I have replaced the cooling fan twice and the thermostat once .It is a very economical engine and it will cut 125 Bu corn with just over three quarts of diesel per acre . I am particular about preventive maintenance and so far I am very impressed with this engine .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With all of them around and as many hours as the old machines are getting up to, I've heard of only one going bad around here and I don't know the story on that one. I owned a r70 and never had a problem except for constant chaff build up because all the air flow is through the engine so the rest of the engine compartment is dead air, unlike the water cooled machines. I often had smoldering, but never had flames, and I cleaned it completely every morning. Always had a shop vac and air compressor in the service truck. Soybeans were the worst, especially with a tail wind.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I wondered if you could add a fan in the eng compartment too keep eng clean and help preasurize the compartment. Has any one tried any thing like this? this one has all tin shielding around complete exhaust system is this good or bad?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM

If there is a funnel that directs air like on ours u could pry take it off
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM

we had a r70 it started the best out of our 485 and 7720 blow it out daily and you'll be fine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM

I had an 89 R70, and still have a 92 r62 and 94 R62 with Duetz engines. Love them. Easy on fuel, great power and trouble free. Only problems were a small leak on the injection pump and an oil pan gasket. Make sure you have enough airflow and blow them out every day and you will be happy with them.

On a side note, you can tell how well the hired men are doing with the servicing when you ask them how the water level is on it and they tell you they checked it and it was just fine. Then, make them show you where they checked it at! That guy looked for ten minutes with me standing there and he swore up and down that he checked the water level. Needless to say he no longer works for me!!!!!

Bryan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM

I am in the minority today. I had one with 2500 hours (WELL CARED FOR) a bolt broke in the valve cover the oil left and it blew. The best break down of my life!!!! Bought the back half of a wrecked 98 R72 (M11) Wow what a difference. No more blowing it out every morning no more stopping mid afternoon to blow out the hydro cooler no more morning inspections to look for the smallest of oil leaks. Guess what the combine is much bigger too! I am sorry the reason they are cheap is because they are a pain. Especially in the summer if you have any wheat/cereal grains. I too have a L-3 and the Duetz R72 will do a lot more. and noticiable more than your R62 but you better love it if you buy it, cause you will be married to it. To tell you the truth I LIKED mine before I drove a cummins powered one. The one poster is exactly right they are great on fuel! When I bought my 93 Duetz R72 it was to save cost too. And at first I was a fan but in the end it just was not worth it to me. I really love that combine now that it has a cummins. what a hog!
I reallize you are fimiliar with the engines I think the big thing is the dust, chaff and accessibility of the engines. The other thing is our summers get to 95-105 degrees that was where we had our big problems. Fall was better not as hot. To me the pain was not worth it. If I truly needed to save the money would I buy one? maybe but it better be a nice one and CHEAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page