Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 13 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

more tips. dont leave grain in unloading auger very hard on i. I had to extend my augers for grain trailers as the short ones barley reach. replaced tube with thin pipe to 18 ft.those settings i told you were for hard red spring wht. cps wheat has concave more like barley 1/2-5/8.concave is set 1/8 to almost 0.for spring wht. this is how i set in alberta maybe your grain is different check to make sure the pointer at 0 is actually 0. rotor should hit. you can put n7 hopper extensions on to raise capacity to 315 bu.i think an n7 would walk away from a 2388 since its hp varies from 270-320 on some. have my 6s turned to 250. check feeder chain adj tensioners should have an inch gap when chain is new very good system .dont have to adj till chain needs1 /2 link removed probably 4000 acres just a guess. check the double pulley behind cyl variable speed drive.if this double pulley is worn bad the belt will slip which run a lot of stuff.also check cond of accellerator rolls.if worn out the machine will throw especially on small seeds. also check feeder floor between front and rear chain.you can unplug in low range if needed. put in neutral run to empty hold cyl speed button to open pulley (more torque0 put in low 1800 rpm then let er buck. i made a tool for mine so i can wrench it back if needed. make sure doors seal good in front of motor to keep chaff out. rock door can be adj to latch harder if needed check seal rubber under rear sieve on front of axle. make sure elevator doors are closed proper. top of door lip goes inside of tube so chain wears door not tube.hope i didnt bore you too much. if i think of anything else i will let you know if you want. i will see if i have any pics . now im am going out to work on combines will need in 5 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 AM

75 bushel barley, 30 foot swath, 5 mile an hour

110 bushel barley, combined at 3.5-4 mph

post #123 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM

i have 2 n6s 81 and83 know them inside out,baldwin will be fine.did you change water filter under cab LS/ screen should open with hex shaft on that year. if your reverser is a straight hyd motor it is the new good one .the older style had a spring that always broke on mine. have both been upgraded.i run sunnybrook high inertia rotors no shake from dust and probably 25% more capacity. also rodono fine cut choppers. cut the hole open behind the chopper so the straw can get out easier 8 inches higher.make sure you grease rotor spline every day behind inspection panel on rs by rock door. put gearbox in neutral turn rotor you will se it.2388 will have alittle more capacity than n6 i have ran with them maybe 10% more than mine my machines are both getting wore out 4000 plus hrs on them just bought a 8010 case but still going to run gleaners till they die. they only are worth 5000-10000 dollars here. after a couple years you will figure them out and then they wont look so complicated. wheat hrs.fan 6-7 cyl 1000-1050 top sieve 3/4 bottom 1/8 or less slowly turn fan down till monitor goes into green set 2and 5 on grain loss monitor run at 15 turbo boost keep full or it will throw over.i could give you enough tips to make a novel so i will stop here. older book will cover most things good enough does your machine return tailings to cyl? 85 probably does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM

forgot to tell you to shut hot water valve on engine off so hot water cant get to cab. brass tap above air comp at thermostats. makes it 15-20 degrees colder. check wires behind motor on floor at psi switches. you should hear comp click on when fan and ac is on key on also if not no power at comp. may be low on freeon.
post #125 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

abfarmer, wow, a lot of great info in those posts plus some neat pictures.
I did replace the under cab water filter. I have the hydraulic reverser on mine. The 1981 books that came with mine were dark, bad pictures and not very complete on descriptions with nothing on a reverser other than refers to as an option. The new/used book I just recieved has good pics, and descriptions. I have everything adjusted pretty mutch as you describe with the exception of bottom sieve at about a quarter to 3 eighths. Of course 'till I hit the field won't know on the loss monitor.Tailings return dumps in rear of cylinder on mine. Unloading tube appears standard and I haven't measured it yet. It has 24 foot grain bat reel and it may be a little close for the trailer dumping. I'd like to find a cpouple standard doors for the return and clean grain elevators. I aint real sold on the teflon covered doors on it now and they are a b***h to close with the lip on the outside. Paddles are a little worn and after this years work will probably replace the chains/paddles and if lucky find a couple of good standard doors.
This combine was run in East Oregon wheat and has only one cage cover on it (left side) no extras stored or with the combine. Have you found a need for the additional covers in wheat?
High idle right now is indicating areound 2480 with no wheat load. Soft winter or spring wheat here and mine usually runs a little over 60 lbs bushell. Fall wheat here varies from 40 to 140 lbs acre and often in the same field. You spend a lot of time on the hydro ground speeds to keep it going or slowing to avoid plugs. This year a lot of us here with low ground are going to be cutting a lot of tall weeds from this springs floods. It will be intersting to see how the N6 does with throwing the weed stems out the back or if it wants to put 'em in the bin. When I have all new spike teeth in my JD7700 it does great getting the weed stems thrown out the back. Let those spikes get to worn and they go in the bin. Recent chromed setup on the N6 so I hope it does a better job throwing the weed stems out.
Haven't unbolted anything to look at the chopper so I don't know what is really in there (yet). Appreciate the tip on the enlarged outlet. 'till I hit the field I don't know if thats going to be a problem for me or not. With my JD7700 I always cut short and that leeds to a lot of rock banging on the header when I hit coyote dug holes etc. I plan to cut taller and faster with the larger header and hopefully avoid a lot of damage like I did to the 213 platform on the JD. I guess getting everything adjusted to get a good sample with few leavings on the ground is the desired regaurdless of cut hieght. I went with a new to me fall wheat this year Getsie sic? It grows quite a bit shorter than the past varieties i've tried. We can no longer burn our wheat stubble here and there is no demand for the straw. Straw load is a big problem here and with record acres of wheat planted this year there is no way to get rid of it. Flail it or this next fall I may try to no till right thru it standing. Slugs can be a problem here especially on unworked ground. No ground work equalls more slugs, mice, voles and coyote holes. Right now my thought is, cut tall and if the ground isn't to covered with straw use my 1590 drill and plant thru it. Last time I tried planting thru a heavy straw load was Fescue and the seed just rotted in the ground under the wet straw. No fall sun to get to the ground for sprout.
Obviously the new N6 will be a hopefully learning curve for me to figure all of the correct adjustments for good samples with no leavings. The information that you have provided will be a great help in getting me started with it and pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again for all of the help and good info on the N6. Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon
post #126 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)

Dwight, are you sure you need a N6 for that crop?
I would have thought this

would be adequate.

Don
post #127 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Don, shoveling BS? When it comes to truth I always lay it out straight. However a friend of mine said "if BS was a little brass band you would be a symphony orchestra". Don't quite know what to think of that as I play no musical instruements, wonder what he meant???

Anyways we have big yield differences here in the valley depending on ground and weather conditions. Not uncomon to have part of a field at 40 lbs and part to top out at 140lbs acre. I don't have any of the top end this year, maybe some at 100lbs plus. Some flood damaged that wont make 40 lbs. As usual it seems some of my neighbours got fields this year that will go way over 100lbs. Why is it that good crop and land is always on the other side of the fence?
Don't believe I want to start threshing with a pitch or dumpling fork either. 'bout wears me out sometimes just climbing the ladder to get in the cab. If I get any lazier I wont be good for mutch of anything but a bad example!
Neat picture tho, thats a goodn' !!!
Little warmer here and drier, temps in 90's so hopefully that wheat will get ready in a few days. (if it don't rain or hail).
Hope yours and everyones crop is comn' out good. Now wheres that $6 dollar wheat sale i'm a wishn' for?
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

had a good trout fisn' trip a couple days ago with nice fresh trout last nite. Be sitn' in the shade today with a cold drink watchn' the wheat finish out, I'm a gettn' that sitting in the shade down to a real science. Reckon as how I gotta be good at something.
post #128 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)

While now you just have me confused.
You refer to lbs/acre and I thought you meant bushels per acre but since keep doing it now I don't know what you mean.
Again .

Don
post #129 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

So your wheat varies between 0.8 and 2.1 bu/acre?

I'm confused also. :S
post #130 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Bushells not lbs. maybe that I need another nap to get my terms in line. Beter watch my P's&Q's. Sorry 'bout my errors. My wheat usually wieghs in at a little over 60 lbs per bushell.
Stick around me for awhilst and you'll see bigger mistakes that that!
Most of the grass seed around here is off the fields now. Everyone was really husteling to 'get 'er done', with a possibility of rain and thunderstorms a possibility.
Lots of great looking wheat up and down the valley here. Now if we can just get some warm dry weather to finish and dry it to harvest. One of the coldest summers on record here. Spring set records for cold and wet. Last year we had 20 some days of high 90's or triple digit days in July so far this year only about 4 days. Last year early rains ruined a lot of the wheat harvest. Hopefully the rains and thunderstorms will hold off this year and let that wheat finish out to harvest.
Farming 'round here has been pretty tough on the purse the last 2 years. Even a rich guy from back east that bought up a bunch of land and went to poultry is having a bad time. Heard he lost over 100,000 young chickens. I don't know a thing 'bout raising chickens but a neighbour said he thought he planted them to deep. However he don't know anything 'bout chickens either, hmmm.

N6 is dieseled and ready to start smashn' up the wheat.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page