Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

First of all, your in for a big learning curve maybe huge if you never been around a gleaner rotor, but you won't go back once you learned the machine. I went from a M2 to a N5. The first 50 acres, I hated it, but the next year come to love the machine. Now got a N6 and R50. Start by check over the feeder chains. The middle one, you have to climb up behind the transmission and drop the bottom door. No bad, but usually get a little dirty. The toughest bearing to get at is on the rear feed chain on the back shaft on the inside. Really no way to see it. The rest is fairly easy and that bearing probably not a problem. Check condition of rotor bars. Also the helicals. These are the flat irons that spiral inside the cage. The left edge should be pretty square yet. Also check condition of cage. I had a whole in mine in front of the impeller that caused alot of problems on grain cleaniness. Then check the accelator rolls. These are right under the cage between the augers. They are the rubber flaps. They should be good shape and been told, you shouldn't fit a pencil between. To access them, you can see them from the engine compartment by removing the panels. Also look around the rear axle pivot area. I've had one crack there before. Of course auger flighting, belts, etc. DON"T forget to grease the zerk on the main clutch housing underneath the combine that runs the machine. It is up underneath by the transmission and is the shaft pulley opposite of the hydo/transmission. The one I bought was never greased and that was an expensive thing to replace. I believe it is a once a week zerk and I grease it at least once a week. This site is a great place and where I learned how to run and set the machine. I do just corn and beans, but see a lot of wheat guys here. Good luck with your endeavor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

make sure if you are using the machine in wheat that the "returns" goes back to the cyclinder and not just the to of the sieves. We had an early model N6 and was unaware that there was a difference. Had an awful time getting a clean sample.

post #13 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks guys for the great info on the N6. I suspicion i'm in for some time wait to see if the lein holder wants my $ or wants to let the combine sit. If I get it will post and most likely be looking for more info/experiences and how to's.
Several years ago I went through a similar thing on a late model lein repo. Looked the combine over and made a cash offer. Lein holder said their board had to talk it over. Happened to go by the farm a few years ago with the same now old combine sitting in the same spot, litterally rusted and sunk into the ground. Farmer went belly up and in the early 80's the lender bellied up also. Some really amazing things happen sometimes and what a waste. As I recall the FED govt' ended up with the loan institution. Does it surprize anyone that the Feds let things go to ruin? Same loan institution also ended up with a small farm close by that was subdivided approved. I attempted to buy for cash all or part. Made cash offer to the institution and the FEDS. Was told to wait as all was in limbo. FEDS turned it over to a local Broker who also ended up buying it at less than half of what I had offered. Broker was also a well known contributor to one of our FED Senators at the time. Just coincidence I suppose? Broker financed with the FED govt', made only one payment, paid no property taxes for over 5 years then with attorneys negotiation made a cash out reduced settlement with the FEDs. The feds as Govt. lein holder were exempt and paid no taxes. I suspect that the broker ended up with all of the property and no taxes at possibly about 10 cents on the dollar. By the mid 90's those lots sold at 10 to 20 times the original farmer owned asking price.
I'm sure glad we aint getting all of the Govt' that were payin' for.

Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM
dfb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Check motor carefully or find history with mid hours would need at least crank bearings. Bad motor or cage worn out would cost more to fix than combine worth. Tires are expensive item now also. dfb
post #15 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM

dfb, thanks for the info on the engine. Are crank bearings a major concern on the N6's engine? I'm pushing 6000 hrs on my JD combine engine with no repair or internal maintenance. Starts and runs great with no leaks and really as new oil consumption.
On tires i've whenever possible been buying major farm tires from Tucker tire co. in Dyersburg Tennessee. So far a bunch cheaper and 0 problems. Occasionally a tire is damaged at the wrong time and I have to buy local and pay a whole bunch more.
Tuckers phone is 888-248-7146 or 800 443-0802, might be worth a call to check out/compare prices. Welcome to use my name as a reference for a new customer.

Thanks again for the info on the engine, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon/
Next move on the N6 is up to the lein holder, accept or refuse my cash out offer?? Then a fact finding trip to see if it appears as represented.
post #16 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Forgot to post the 3 8820's I traveled to look at were all bad. One was sold, one was absolute rusted out junk the third I made an offer on and owner said he wouldn't sell it for 4 times that amount. Must be something there I can't see, however it hasn't been used for around 4-5 years, hasn't sold and needs a bunch of help. TR 70 I was going to look at I found out had been badly overheated on the Cat 3208. Supposedly a useable combine if/with a different engine, then would be more $ than it's worth.
I thnk i've developed a real knack for finding junk. Hopefully the N6 will be as represented.
Thanks to all for the replies and info on the N6.
post #17 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

we have had N's for as long as i can remember. so of course this will be biased. but we love em. great capacity. great samples. it does do better in certain crops over others, but for the most part very capable machines for the investment.
we always keep the rub bars and helicals up. as previously mentioned, the accelerator rolls will help in a better sample. good advice in earlier posts as far as other things.
over the years we only lost one hydro, and even though those motors scream and smoke, touch wood but we have yet to loose a motor. of course i say that now....i probably just cursed myself.
hopefully it works out for you and it turns out to be a good machine.
post #18 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)

You just gotta wonder how that = pa24180

Don
post #19 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The biggest share of engine failures on N-6's were due to processors (cage, helical bars, cylinder bars, concaves, removal of reverse bars, etc) that weren't maintained properly ( or just simply worn out) causing the engine to work "overtime" and fail due to constant overloading. An engine that only has to run 15 or 16 pounds of turbo boost will last much longer than one that is cranking out 20 or 22 pounds all day long. Been there...dun that !!
post #20 of 738 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM

drallis, is a turbo boost or manifold pressure gauge standard on the N6's?
Thanks to you and all posting info for me on the N6.

Possibly engines and parts last a little longer around here especially in wheat. Here in the western part of Oregon we don't have a lot of dust when doing wheat. I have quite a bit of lite soils on my little farm but the sand in the soil is larger particles and pretty mutch stays on the ground. Combines with pickup type headers get a lot of wear from the coarse/sandy dust than a wheat platform combine does. Even the chaff is heavier and tends to hit the ground pretty fast with less intake and cooling clogging problems. You get a lot of hours on a wheat combine here with accidents and stupidity being more serious problems for the combine/owner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page