Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

rburk, recently priced one combine tire from a couple local shops. Priced a pair of front tires plus the 2 new steering tires for same combine. Price delivered from Tennessee for all 4 tires was just over $2,000. The one front tire local was almost $2,000 placed on the rim. I've found the same with other tractor tires. Very little competition around here so everything from the tire to labor is full bore and boy do they know how to charge. Maybe i'll have a bad experience with Tucker Tire but so far it's only been good and the tires seem to hold up well with 0 problems so far. I think as I recall the shipping of the 4 tires was around $200 but it saves saves a bundle over the local stores price.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM

On the N6 does anyone have an experience comparison to the IH 1460? 1480? There is a 1460 possibly available locally but it's twice the money as the N6, 5 years older, more hours and that pushes my $ to spend.
Comparable, better or not as good?

Thanks again, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

post #23 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We ran a 1480 for many years, trading for an R60 which we ran for several years. The 1480 didn't have the capacity the R60 had, but it was close. I think the 1480 would be close to a N6 however no where near a N7. We harvested wheat with our 1480 along side a R50 for a few years, the 1480 had more capacity, 21ft swathed wheat.
As for Maintenance, our 1480 was Very reliable, most seasons it never left the field for unscheduled maintenance. The R60 was not as reliable, but a good machine. We did like the air cooled engine, and we also liked not having to change concaves every time we switched crops.
Personally, I'd go with the 1480, but I'm somewhat biased.
N6 or 1480,,, I'd say go with who's got the best dealer support.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM

John, thanks for the reply and info on the comparison. Since I have neither Gleaner or 1460, 1480 i'm really relying on others experience.
post #25 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As I said before, I own two Gleaners. I have found those machines to be much simpler and easier to mechanic on than other brands. Gleaner has good service manuals and we have never had a service call because there are no close dealerships, yet we keep the machines cutting wheat all day.
post #26 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM

The dealer being 200 miles away would be a huge turn off to me. But, if you do go with the N6 spend the extra $$$ on a shop and service manual. You can always call Shoup for parts. They have free shipping on orders over $200. Their website is www.shoupparts.com. Good Luck!
post #27 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM

PA24180 do you really get your tires from Tennesee shipped to Oregon? It seems the shipping would eat up the lower price savings.
post #28 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks guys for the info and your experiences. Yep, service/shop manuals a must. I have them for 'bout all of my equipment.

My 'stuff' is all old but works and is paid for. I envy all of the newer equipment around me but unfortunately a lot of that new equipment ends up in repo or bankruptcy sales.

A few times i've used my old equipment to help out neighbours when their newer stuff goes 'kaput' and leaves them in a lurch. Newer is nice but dependable and paid for is a bunch better in my opinion.
This area is not a huge farm area so dealers are few and support is less. Very little older used equipment. Sales people are only interested in new-er sales. The only bigger piece I bought awhilst back was a JD 1590 no till that I justified by renting it out to neighbours for $10 an acre. I had gotten a little tired of useing my 50 year old Melroe that was given to me from a bone pile years ago. The Melroe was one of the items that no one would bid on when all of the newer owed for Green JD equipment auctioned off.
Still waiting on that new to me combine 'buy'.
If I get that shinny new N6 i'll be sitn' up in that shinny cab just as happy and a grinn' like a dead pig in the sunshine

Lottery ticket still didn't come through this week so it's still 'old stuff' for my future.
post #29 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Dwight, that post above about the door height is no kidding! I bet I smack my head coming into the cab once a year. Last time it set me right on my butt on the landing there- saw stars for a bit!
post #30 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Well fellas still no word from the lein holder of the 1985 N6, so thats still a hangiin'. Found 2 more N6's. Very early model years. Both combines the owners whose had since fairly new say they run good. Cabs, bodies, bins headers all straight good condition. Both he says used a year ago and thrash well. However he says that both have started "twisting" the straw and the local baler doesn't want to bale behind 'em. One has a 'small?' hole on the rotor he says that hasn't seemed to ever bother the trashing tho. Says both greased dailey and shedded since new. I suppose the twisting possibly bunched straw would be caused by worn rub bars or being severly out of adjustment? Says they both show about 2,000 hrs on the tachs but he's ure they have more hours than that.
One he says last year started 'slipping' or 'lurching' at higher down the road speeds but works fine in the field.
Neither has had overheat problems, oil consumption same as new. Says they start easily and runout smooth with no major oil leaks. Says the A/C and instruments work fine on both.
One header he says a neighbour broke down and 'borrowed' a rod?? from one of the 24ft headers. never brought it back so I suppose thats gone as a donation.
Now knowing nothing about N6's what is the problems and verdicts?
Are these easy fixes or have they just become farm decoration to look at?
Costs to fix experience would be a big help to me on even going to look at these 2 combines.
Seems I heard that the problems described above were common to the early models and not so mutch on the later N6.
One got new intercooler a couple years ago and one got rebuilt injection pump couple years ago. Engines never opened up and supposedly runing well with good oil pressures, low oil consumption.
Man alive thats a lot of questions!!!

Thanks to all and hopefully will get some good recommendations on those problems. I need to decide whether to go look -make offer or not.

Dwight E. Lambert, ICS 4473, Albany, Oregon

275 miles away so lookasee and the transport aint real conveinient or cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page