Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

Concerning parts for the N series... almost all the belts and bearings are standard industrial parts. A good industrial supply house can get you most anything you need. (I got alot of things from a Motion Industries branch.) The dealer I bought mine from told me to be sure the connecting rod bolts are changed every 2000 hrs. The bolts will break eventually leading to . I ran an N6 for several years, I bought it from a dealer 1200 mi away. The closest dealer was about 350 mi away in Canada. I figured the local dealers didn't stock much for parts anyway, so if I needed next day air it didn't matter where the parts came from.

If you do get it, as others have said, there is a steep learning curve. Forget everything you think you know about combines and start over. Once you get the hang of it, you will be shopping for more truck.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Finding some of the later models? with 200hpCummins engines. Were those factory and what years-serial #'s.?
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

post #33 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM

I can't believe that tires are that expensive where you live. I live only 40 minutes away from Tucker tire and bought the tires for my 1660 there but they were only a little cheaper than other dealers.

As far as the combine goes, I don't have any experience with gleaners other than a K2, but the two older N6 sound ok. Because you don't have a parts source close by you could use one of them for parts. But if your 7700 can make it another year or two, hold out and get what you really want. Don't "settle" for one even though your options do seem limited. With an old machine you could be opening a can of worms, so pick one that has obviously been babied. Personally I think if you could find a well taken care of IH 14 series, you would be very happy. They can be very forgiving and simple to work on. The gleaner may be also, but I have no experience with their rotaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 AM

Well fellas I think I'm asking so many questions that it's about to bore everyone to death. Question for now is whether to even consider the 2 older N6's that i've located 4 sale. Both real early serial #s models with 24 wheat heads of same vintage. Are the early models not even close to par with the later models? should the early model N6's not even be considered? I don't use a combine for any heavy crops, only for dry wheat harvest. I did read Harvest's?(sic) post about the serial and model changes. It appears the 3 series is quite a bit upgraded.
Sure hate to invest in an older low serial # model and then wish I had found the newer later model.
My offer on the 1985 N6 is still up in the air with the lein holder so far not able to sell it yet. Possibly if the owner files bankruptcy that could be a long way out or it may go to auction. The 2 early models are available today. I only need one but would probably have to buy both and xport 275 miles to the local JD dealer to unload, put the wheels and headers back on. It adds to the total cost and with one combine slipping/lurching? at high road speeds and the straw being twisted when it hits the ground.? With no Gleaner experience I may be getting more problems than I can easily deal with. My old JD 7700 I kinda know the rotorary is all new to me and I have to depend on the service book and info from others to make useable. All 3 of the combines I described were used last season in wheat/oats.
Thanks again for all the replies and advice, I sure 'nough need it.
Should have added total $ spent to get either the newer N6 or the two early serial # models to the farm is about the same total $. Obvious some advantage to the newer combine. Some possible advandtage in having two older model N6 with one to resell?
post #35 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM

robmgrig, just no competition here locally for combine tires. Chances are if you need one it will have to be brought in from another store. Combines around here are seldom roaded and often the combines live their entire lives on the original tires. I more or less restored a 8N ford a few years ago. Looks and runs goo and works great for small field patch up jobs. All 4 new tires, tubes and rims from Tennessee delivered were under $1,000 Local best price was well over $2,000.
There are no scrap yards around here for combine parts. There are several 'broken' JD 7700's around tho and right now i'm robbing a return tailings elevator off one of 'em. Yep I backed into a small stump in the weeds next to a field I cleared a few years ago.
Case and IH rotary combines around here are few and the ones for sale they want more frogskins for 'em then i've got. The older Gleaners are a possibility $ wise. I probably got a case of
'buyitis' but I would like to play with a rotary on my little farm. I'm hopeing my offer on the series 3 will got through. Have to admitt that the 2 early serial # ones I found have some problems and may be more troubles than they are worth, even tho they were used last year by the original owner.
Thanks for all the help and advice,
post #36 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

pa24180 I enjoy reading tour posts in your quest for information on N 6's. You are very clear and straightforward. And I like that you put your name and address at the end of each post. Our newspaper will not print a letter to the editor without your name with it. Maybe we should start that policy on this forum. Roger N. Burkholder, Republic,Ohio.
post #37 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would stick with the late model N6. Had an early N5 and it was a piece. The early N headers had a double sickle that seemed to break a lot along with the pitman arms. Also having to time the sickle bars every time you put the header on was kinda annoying. I believe the later Ns are a bit more user friendly when it comes to having to pull distribution augers or accelerator rolls out the side of the machine. Harvest isn't for quite a while yet so you have some time to see how the bank situation plays out. Also if the two early machines have things going wrong with them they could end up costing you more in the end than the other machine by itself. Having ran an early N5 and late model N6 and N7 I would definitely recommend staying with the later series. I dont know of any late model N's that had cummins engines put in them. I believe they were all AC but don't quote me on that. Do you know whether any of the machines have returns to the cylinder instead of the shoe? In wheat this will definitely improve cleaning.

Matt
post #38 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM

The early R series have come down in price also and can find at times a good deal on one of them. I got into a 1989 1/2 R 50 for under 15,000 with 2200 hrs. I've used it for 2 years and about 1000 acres and just had to replace the accelator rolls and brush housing on main clutch. I was leary of the duetz engine, but get along good with it and impressed with the fuel comsumption. This winter I flew to Florida and bought a tractor and had shipped back to Nebraska. I saved about 25,000 on the machine and it was nice. The trucking ran about 2,000. So not uncommon to ship a long ways anymore and with the economy some areas of the country you can find better deals and truckers looking for work. Greg
post #39 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks guys for all th info and your experiences with the Gleaners. I'm thinking that a good series 3 N6 probably is state of the art for that model. Others have mentioned that they are equiped with heavier shafts/bearings also the headers on the newer models are easier and more trouble free than the early models. I see some late models advertised with the Cummins and that is a mystery to me. Did Gleaner produce some with a 200hp Cummins or did some just fit it in? Obviously switching to a totally different engine is not for the feint of heart/or funds. Seeing some late models with Cummins makes me think it was done at the Gleaner factory.
Think for now i'm going to calm my wants down and see what comes up with the offer to the lein holder on the 1985 N6 that was a year or so ago gone over by the local FEH Gleaner dealer. If it's in fact as described it should provide a lot of trouble free hours and would give me a good starting to learn about Gleaners.
Got about 10% of my wheat under water now. Heavy rain forecast here for the next 10 days. Santiam river (runs thru my place) is right at the top of the banks and we have gained several inches and feet of snow in the Cascades the last couple days. That a real setup for a bigtime flood around here. One warm wind with a warm rain and I may need to get out the boat.
Cold and wet as heck here. Where's that Al Gore guy and his henchmen when you need 'em!
Thanks again to all for the advice/experiences.
post #40 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

to my knowledge (which isn't much i know) there were never cummins put in a gleaner at production. back in those days it was only allis. a cummins in an N would have been put in by someone else - not stock.
sometimes i think it would be nice to do the same here. hmmm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page