Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

jackaroo, i've seen a couple N 6's advertised with '200hp Cummins' advertised. I thought that perhaps Gleaner installed a few maybe an option? I would think the installation/change would be really time and $ consuming. Everything from the mounts, drives to the air intake would be different. That conjures up thoughts of one heck of a lot of work and changes.
When I was a little younger we switched in flathead V 8's and later o'head valve V8's on our 'hotrods' and that was quite a bit of troubles. Can't imagine doing all of that to a combine. Years ago I saw some 8N and 9N Ford tractors with as I recall the Funk conversion to install a Ford V 8 to replace the 20 horse 4 cylinder. That seemed like a waste of time and $ to me. May be that the Combine is easier to change out?
I have changed out some airplane engines to bigger HP engines and the paperwork for that is more than extensive unless someone has already obtained a Gov't approved Suplemental Type Certificate to do it.
Thanks for the reply/info.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

Hotrods, airplanes, boats, tractors and Combines I reckon it's all 'bout the same (spendy). To long in the tooth to even think of doing that again, makes me tired to even think 'bout it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Talked with lein holder today. Supposedly by Wednesday next week the N6 will be available. Then it's go have a lookasee and if as represented, buy and have transported to the local JD dealer to put wheels and header on for road to my farm. So I guess by the end of next week i'll know if i'm an N6 owner or not.
I swear over the last few weeks I think i've looked at every junque combine around. People and dealers represent as good then I get there and often it isn't worth having if they gave it to you.
Supposedly the Local Gleaner dealer went over this one last August and did a couple thousand in repair/maintenance. Was used for less than 200 acres wheat after that and then placed in shed. Hope this doesn't turn out to be another wasted trip to look it over. Dealer says it was in good shape when they delivered it in August of 09.
That one is a 1985, Series 3, midtime hours, 27 foot wheat head with cart, thats according to the selling dealers records anyway in good ready to use condition. We'll see!!!
Thanks again to all for the help and experiences.

post #43 of 737 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good luck! keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM

Don't know how it's possible or why but somehow my post #41 has been changed to a bunch of yabadabdoo being inserted??? Kinda funny whoever did it I guess but makes me question posting security. I belong to another Forum and have never had that happen before.
Perhaps whoever runs this Forum can shead some light on whats going on??

Thanks again for everyones help and experiences,
post #45 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)

The's are being changed to yabbadabbadoo. Special one day offer only, one of those calender glitches.
Posts will return to normal tomorrow.
For you Dwight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPf3...eature=related

Don
post #46 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Dwight,

Some of us have been negligent in asking a couple of important questions in this whole Harvard Combine Case Study:

1. You said in your first post that you are a "small" wheat farmer. How many acres do you farm or harvest annually?

200, 400, 4000? If you are in the 300-600 range, you don't need a powerhouse combine to do that in the dry Willamette Valley.
2. Being in the Albany area, in the middle of grass seed country, is it correct that you do not grow or combine any grass seed?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, then you are using a grass seed combine with spike tooth cylinder to harvest wheat. Not the best setup. We all assume you have a set of wrenches., but you are apprehensive to change out your spike tooths. Why would you do that? Why don't you change the cylinder to a rasp bar? Maybe that is a factory thing, and if it is, then this whole post is irrelevant. You say your 7700 is tired. How tired? How many hours, is the engine using oil and ready to blow up? YOu got 5000, 10000 or 15000 hours on it? You using a roll of duct tape a year to keep it together? If the cylinder can be converted to rasp bar for a reasonable amount (couple thousand USD) and it is not ready to fall into a pile of rust, why go to a machine where you have no local dealer support. The Gleaners are great wheat machines, and being from the Pendleton area, the N6 you are looking at has cut thousands of acres of wheat, but it better be in good to better than average condition for you to drag it across the state.

Not knowing what condition your 7700 is really in and how many acres you have to cut, begs a few questions?
post #47 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM

I neglected to address the 213 header issue. Are you running a 213 pickup or regular reel header? If that 213 is shot, pick up a 18-22' header to replace it.
post #48 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM

tractor8100, My JD 7700 is late 1979, one of the last of that series made. I picked it up many years ago for scrap price. Replaced all of the spikes including the concaves. Replaced 'bout all of the belts, many pulleys, most hydraulic hoses, rebuilt the feeder house. The 213 wheat header is in poor condition but still useable. Also have the pickup attachment that i've never used. The engine has well over 5,000 hrs but has always been well maintained still starts and runs 'bout good as new. My small farm is only about 100 acres, no grass seed. I've done some combineing for neighbours. Having replaced all of the spikes before it's not a job to look forward to. I had a very bad accident a couple years ago and have very little strength in my left arm now. I would most likely have to hire someone to do the spike replace this time. The 7700 is a lot slower now on threshing due to the worn spikes. Lots more material being returned and not as good a sample. Got docked a little last time to sell market.
You are correct my 7700 could outlast me. However like many others I would like to have a little newer and hopefully better combine to work (play) with.
With minor repair to the 7700 I could sell it and not be out a lot of frogskins for hopefully a better, faster machine.
The change to rub bar would eat up a lot of the difference in cost to go with the N6. Especially since I can no longer do all of the labor.
I think for the few $ spent I would like to try a rotary combine.
IF the N6 is in as good a shape as represented it should be a good machine, hopefully without a lot of work on my part.
Should add that with so many grass seed growers here getting out of the seed business and switching to wheat headers have doubled-tripled in price and aren't even available here. They're highern' a cats back in price and often in need of help. The local JD dealer has been buying in the mid states and bringing them in for resale here. I can buy the N6 Gleaner for less than one half the price of a used header for the 7700.
End result is when I figure everything $ out the N6 (if good) is more cost effective than bringing the old 7700 up to snuff.
Actually with small fields around here, jogs and uneven fields the smaller headers are a whole lot easier to work with than say a 30 foot.
I really appreciate yours and others advice and experience.
post #49 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:09 PM

tractor8100, I should have added that when I had all new spikes, including the 2 concaves spikes the 7700 worked perfect, had 3 or 4 neighbours at the time with 7700 and 7720 rub bars and I worked the same as they. Samples were perfect, no cracks and with all new spikes it was as fast as the rub bars. Only rub bar I saw around here that was faster was an 860 MF. I was impressed with it but there are very few/none around here for sale and the ones that run'em bought 'em new and wont sell. One of my neighbours has a Case 2388? Wow that is really impressive, it outdoes the 9000 type series JD by quite a bit.
Either way N6 or maintenance to the 7700 will keep me off the streets and out of the bars for some time to come.
Thanks again for the help, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon
post #50 of 737 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks for answering myquestions. It was not clear from your original comments to me if spikes were as effective in grain as rasp bars. And, it sounds like your 7700 has done its duty for you. Hope you can get the N6, it sounds like it should serve you long and well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page