Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? - Page 53 - The Combine Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #521 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fellas, thanks for all the info. The chains are right tight barely any slack and are in straight alignment. I do not see worn areas on any of the sprockets. I just cant imagine that Gleaner made the machine with that loose a fit in the shaft covers and the right one is substantially looser than the left one. I didn't measure the end play between the gears but it's surely close to an inch of slop there to hit the gears on each side. I would think that banging or rubbing two peices of steel together at a fast speed should produce sparks and a big possibility of fire. Headers drive shafts have that synthetic tube over them to reduce material buildup and no metal ends to reduce 'sparking'. Seems that at least synthetic end covers would be used on the drive shaft for the covering tubes to reduce the possibility of sparks and some type of synthetic material inside the tube to protect from steel against steel in that area. The tube that has the most 'slop' in the fit had less rye grass stems and less morning glory vines wrapped around it. The other tube with less 'slop' had the material wrapped so tight and full that it was rubbing hard against the feeder housing with just grooves around where the gears and chain run. Felt like I was cutting up a tree limb with a knife and screwdriver it was packed in there so tight. Might add that after removing the buidup the feeder house ran smoother/less vibration. I have a lot of problem with ryegrass and morning glory vine in the fields as do my neighbours and this is the first time i''ve even heard of this buidup problem on any color combine. Makes me feel that something isn't right with my setup and I sure want to lessen any fire possibility. At this point I guess removing the tubes and getting a better look to compare them is my first step. So far I can see wear into the gears and lots of end play on the tubes. Some of that missing metal surely left in sparks when it ground/hammered off. I'm sure that two new tubes are a must. Anyone have a good source for those new tubes, or better designed other than AGCO?
Just getting started on getting my new N6 ready so may find more work to do yet. Sure enough a lot more fun to harvest with it than work on it.
Thanks to all for the expertise and help
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
They sound like there flogged out. Mine were a snug fit but you could turn them. I wonder what happens if you take off the covers. I presumme they are there to stop green material wrapping? Check that the adjusting bolt for the chain is not worn and there is a nylon bush in the block that it slides in . All those should be in good condition so when the chain goes up and down the tensioner can move freely.

post #523 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see what you're saying, Dwight, but if metal hitting metal inside a combine caused sparks and fire, I would think I would have had a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #524 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Yep most combine fires i've seen started with a bearing coming unglued or a real dirty/oily engine compartment. I just don't like the idea of sparks more than needed to run it. The possibility of a 'hot' sliver of steel comeing off and then laying in the grain dust could be a real problem.
I've only had one combine fire and that was on the right side header drive on a JD 7700. Synthetic cover had worn thru catching rye grass, morning glory vines and winding it tight against a bracket. Friction not sparks started that one. Luckily it was night time, no wind and I caught the fire before it spread onto the field and put it out useing all the water I had, extinguisher and lots of shovel fulls of dirt. Sometimes a guy gets lucky. Didn't lose the combine and I was only 2 or 3 passes into a 50 acre beautiful stand of 100 bu fall wheat.
Had to mutch company stop by today so back to combine work mananna.
post #525 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
the tubes can be a bit loose they are there to stop wrapping. in real tough conditions they will still wrap straw or green stuff. they have to be loose so they dont spin as fast . check chain tension on auto slack adj on either side of feeder there should be some gap in front of spring to stop block check in book for explanation check all 4. may need to compress spring and remove 1/2 link
post #526 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Smile

abfarmer, thanks for the info. The left side tube was packed solid and stuck solid to the shaftand gears. As I said earlier it was about like a tree limb the material was wrapped so tight. Will get the books out to check for proper adjustment. At this point the chains are tight wouldn't want them any tighter. Possibly the spring adjustments are out of spec. That N6 does not like 3-4ft long green ryegrass and doesn't like clumps of morning glory vines. I usually plan on comeing to an almost stop when I see that junk going into the header and give it room to go thru without plugging. Occasionally does plug and the new hydraulic reverser does a good job of backing it out. I spray for both the morning glory and the ryegrass but it doesn't kill all of it and we have a ryegrass variety here that is immune from spray that can be used on wheat.
Now we have a recent unsolved northwest problem. Some GM Monsanto? wheat has shown up in Oregon. Supposedly some countries are boycotting northwest wheat and the wheat price has fallen with the boycott. Don't know any particulars on that but it sure aint helping the wheat sell price. Last I heard everyone connected to the GM wheat is denying anything to do with it. I would think that if it's a Monsanto invention then they should own the seed use and the liability for the damage it's doing to the sell price. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one with the huge amount of attorneys Monsanto has. As I recall I think Monsanto achieved a decision on their seed invention ownership recently from the Supreme Court and destroyed at least one farmer over that decision. Ya just gotta love the big company, gov't and the courts how could the farmer manage without them?
GRRRR, best finish the coffee and get out to checking over my new N6 before the govt' regulates it and me out of business too!!!!
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon (enjoying some nice 80's f weather here on the bad end of starvation flats)
Took one day off last week for a nice days Rainbow trout fishing with my 14 year old son up at at Foster Lake. Good fishing, good time and a good day alll around. Got to enjoy those days while you can, they don't last forever but the memories do.
post #527 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Dwight, are you sure that N6 is all up to specs on the emission standards?
post #528 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Smile

sandcricket, yep I try to run down one of those tree huggn liberals to run thru it ever onct in awhile just to ensure it's all clean inside and they can inspect it whilst they be going thru it. Might cause a little dockage on the wheat sample at the docks tho but it's kinda a fun thing to do!
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon (guy has to make his own entertainment here on the bad end of starvation flats)
post #529 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Smile

Feeder house springs adjustment measured out right on spec. Ordered the 2 beat up lower feed house tubes from FEH at Pendelton yesterday. New drive belts for the right side header drive and so far everything else is checking out good.
Fescue seed harvest, the it's now the big crop here in the valley is in full swing. Crops look good so the boys should make a buck or three this year on the Fescue seed sell. Heard a different sounding combine next door at my neighbours yesterday. Theyve added a new or fairly new big JD combine. Could hardly believe the speed that it was makeing going thru that windrowed Fescue. Sounded pretty quiet from where I was and seemed to be a lot less dust comeing out the back. Really impressive at least from a distance. Never saw a combine go thru Fescue anywhere near that speed. Going to be real interesting to see how it does in the heavy fall soft wheat they have. I very easily passed up their JD combines with my new N6 but if that new green machine is twice as fast in Fescue will it do twice as mutch in wheat? Find out in a couple weeks I guess when they do their wheat. Can't compare mine since it's stunted spring wheat and probably several weeks out to harvest.
Still got the bin repair to do on the N6. Guess the N6 will keep me busy for a few days and off the streets.
Thanks to all for the help and expertise on my new N6
post #530 of 737 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM

I see that big green machine parked and a lot of guys looking at it around the feeder houselower rotor area. No JD dealer trucks there and no lo boy to haul it to their shop. The 2388 they bought new and had modified is back moveing slowly up and down the Fescue rows. Maybe something came unglued on the new JD or they found some irrigation metal or a big rock? Was very impressive while it was runn'. Probably hear what caused the stoppage before to long. Meanwhile temps here back down in the 80s so got to keep figurn' out the N6 bin repair and checking it out.
Need to get that new N6 ready so I can get some more fishn' trips in before and after harvest this year. Trout fishn' has been good but with warm Pacific Ocean waters I doubt the Salmon or Steelhead will amount to mutch this year. Weather not only buggers the crop it also messes up the fishn'. Harley Road King is still sittn' in the shop, can't get my enthusiasm up to even get it out for a beer run this year. Gals at the biker bar are probably wondern' where i'm a hiden out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page