The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Gleaner (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/9-gleaner/)
-   -   Considering N6 Yes or stay away??? (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/9-gleaner/5792-considering-n6-yes-stay-away.html)

tbeck 03-22-2010 02:25 PM

Re: Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

The N6 was made reliable witht he "series III" updates in the '82 (?) model year. The '85 is the last of the line. I just got 1 last season, and had pretty good luck. Some things to think of and check- dear support, feeder chains (there are 2), rub bars and helicals, accelerator rolls. If you go with it, you will find that the N6 is a LOT of combine. I have that figured out going from a '76 L to '87 R60 and back to '85 N6.

pa24180 03-22-2010 03:14 PM

Tbeck, thanks for the reply and information on the N6. This particular one is supposed to be an 85 and recently gone through by a longtime Gleaner dealer. Haven't seen it yet but it's claimed to be in great ready to use shape. With my small farm I realize it's overkill in size but it is tempting for the $. Around here it's just about all JD and the prices are highern' a cats back, even with high hours and in poor condition. Got me looking at TR's, CIH and now the Gleaner.
If I keep my 7700 it's time for another set of spikes and a new 213 cutting bar. Spikes aren't all that spendy but it's not as mutch fun as a guy might think.
Thanks again for the reply and info,
Dwight E. Lambert

lookingglass 03-22-2010 03:34 PM

The N series wasn't a bad machine and had good capacity compared to the L3's of that day. But I don't think they were much bigger and they were less reliable. We went from an L2 to a N6 then to an L3 again. If I recall the only thing we liked about the N was the larger grain tank. The step down into the cab is one of the biggest design flaws ever. In dry beans the N was better in tough stem beans we felt the conventional machine was better. If I were buying an N I would make sure you have a dealer nearby who has decent parts and service.

pa24180 03-22-2010 08:19 PM

Thanks guys for the info and replys. The closest Gleaner dealer is over 200 miles away. JD dealer less than 10 miles. However the JD dealer stocks few parts and usually it's order from the warehouse and wait. Of course you can pay extra for a shorter delivery time. New Holland and Case dealers about 25 miles away and neither of them stock many combine parts either.

Watched a friend with an old rub bar MF 860 last summer. Man alive that thing goes through wheat twice as fast as my spike tooth JD 7700. Grain in the MF was a just a little bit cleaner. Neither combine left mutch grain on the ground.
Only a couple axial flows types around here but the owners swear by 'em. Just watching them work they are a lot faster than the similar JD.
Now when I win the lottery!!!
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon
For now I think i'll take a look at the 1985 N6 and see what I think after I see it and talk with some more Gleaner operators.
May be that it'l never need any parts, HA!!!

gleanerjunkie 03-22-2010 11:16 PM

We ran a 85 N6 for a good number of years and it was a good machine for us. Like any machine, if it is maintained it will be a good combine. It was our only combine for many years and it cut alot of acres. I think an N6 is a cheap combine to buy for the capacity that it can offer and for what you are looking to use it for would last a long time if it has indeed been completely gone through. I'm lucky to have a dealer very close and would be a little leery about buying a combine when the closest dealer is 200 miles away. But if your JD or Case dealer don't really stock combine parts I guess there isn't much of a difference. Like said above the later N series were much improved over the early machines. If/when you look at the machine check out all the normal wear spots but also see if it has the small seeds kit on the tailings return elevator. Our N6 had this on it and it cleaned and saved the grain better than any machine Ive ever seen.

Matt

pa24180 03-23-2010 12:37 AM

Considering N6 Yes or stay away???

I have a very small wheat farm and my JD 7700 is tired. I have a chance? to buy a 1985 N6 w/24 plarform. Supposedly all gone thru by Gleaner dealer 1 year ago. I haven't looked at it as its 250 miles away from here. Closest Gleaner dealer is at Pendelton Oregon and no Gleaners still in operation around here. Is the N6 worthwhile or to mutch troubles? I would be into the N6 around $6-7,000 to buy and deliver here. SUpposedly mid hour machine in good condition, with good 24 pwheat platform.
Appreciate any info as I have zero Gleaner experience and $ to spend are a big factor.
Thanks to all, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

fawazhay 03-23-2010 10:17 AM

I am in Northern CA and I use Farm Equipment Headquarters from Pendleton Oregon for most of my parts. They are great and ship UPS after 5:00pm so you always get your part. I run a N6 and R50. I would say go with it.

fawazhay 03-23-2010 10:18 AM

I am in Northern CA and I use Farm Equipment Headquarters from Pendleton Oregon for most of my parts. They are great and ship UPS after 5:00pm so you always get your part. I run a N6 and R50. I would say go with it.

pa24180 03-23-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks again guys for the N6 info. The N6 in question is basically going to come from a situation where the last owner can't make the bank payment. The current economy has 'sacked' his main business and thats cut into his farming $. FEH at Pendelton would be my closest known parts source (250 miles). Waiting right now on a reply from the selling dealer/bank and of course the last buyer has to sign it away. I think it may be a good unit with being a 1985 model, mid time and recent dealer gone through.
Near as I can tell the last owner shedded and maintened it for 2 years 'till the economy and his main business went bad.
Meanwhile thanks to all for the info on the N6 model it's really helping in my decision making. Just have to wait a few more days to see if it works out before I make the trip to look it over a bit. Other experiences with the N6 and possible problems would be helpfull to me.

pa24180 03-23-2010 05:41 PM

Made an offer to the lien holder on the N6. Pending my looksee to do a little evaluate and make sure nothings changed since the dealer sold it. Just have to wait and see if they want the money or be in the combine selling business.
Any more info on the N6 would be appreciated since I really don't have experience with that N6 combine.
Thanks again for the help and info to all that replied.

I suppose that xport to here (over 250 miles) will take a lowboy with a 2nd trailer to haul the 24 ft wheat header. That probably wont be to cheap. Plus drop off at the local JD dealers to put the wheels back on and attach the header. Costs do add up.