The push button Combine [ & Tractor ] - Page 10 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The push button Combine [ & Tractor ]

I really love reading informational threads. This is very enlighting, much better than threads bashing each other. Keep up the good work. I am a fan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM

OK! Some one must have slipped a couple AU$2 dollar coin's in to ROM? Just like a duke box in the corner of the old coffee shop nothing you do can stop it! (Family running joke guys!)
Its good to see that some of this history is now on the web for prostarity!
Its also good to remember that "The good old Days" weren't all ways that good, and some new technology, like a Cab with air condition was/is a good thing!

Could never understand why ROM and Uncle were never real keen on getting on the old Allis Charmers 200 tractor (which is still going strong on a 71 ft Westfeild auger) with no cab driving at 20 kms/hr across a dusty paddock all day, in preparation of the clover burrs to be picked up via the vacuum seeds harvester, when we were doing clover harvesting from November to April (Aussie summer time) But it did give me a chance to see America harvest season couple times in my life! (as well as some of the USA's nocturnal life as well!!! )
Always grateful for that opportunity!
Im sure you wont hear the last of either of us for awhile yet! Once a farmer always a farmer! We all like to think we still have some links to the technology of the future! Just a bit harder to do once your not living and breathing it everyday!

Now! Where's that Dollar coin? I'd like to see where (Rolf Old Man) see the future in harvest technology!

RYB (Roms Young Bloke)

post #93 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 AM

ROM:
It is hard to understand why some company executives want to either change or destroy company history. I have had an experience with AGCO executives several years ago. When they moved the Gleaner factory from Independence to Hesston they brought their Fordson mounted Gleaner that used to be up on poles at Independence. They repainted it and put it in the foyer of the reception area. They painted it totally wrong, red angle iron and used the metallic gray on the sheet iron. I told the executive that Gleaner painted all the angle iron hunter green, the only red Gleaner used was on the channel iron of the pull type combines and only the wheels and under the cylinder of the Fordson mounted machines.

He said "we know that but wanted to use only the silver and red to show the combining of the Gleaner and Massey heritage". I could not understand why they would knowingly deceive people to think this is the way the original machine was. Destroying, or at least changing history to make this merger seem more "natural".

I have an original 1927 pull type Gleaner Baldwin combine with all original paint and decals on it. Very pretty machine with Green, red and yellow with nice Galvanize. My 1923 in the 85th anniversary book Gleaner put out in 2008 is painted correctly.

I know when Allis-Chalmers bought Gleaner from the Baldwin family many loads of archive material was hauled to the Independence dump. Also alot of material was thrown away during the move to Hesston. I have some copies of research material from the development of the Corn Combine from 1930 that the originals were destroyed some time shortly after I got them to copy it for me. It's sad history could survive this long to be destroyed now. Some because an executive doesn't care, others because they want to change or hide history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
rom

Two mostly true stories from yesteryear from down under and which I bet you have never heard before due to the very red faces arising therefrom.;
With some considerable literary embellishments.
And if you can't guess who the empire was, Well??

Once upon a time, many decades ago, in the land of the free and of ever lasting riches, the high priests of a great enterprise looked out upon their empire.
In the Land down under they espied a great enterprise that they in their infinite wisdom had purchased and distributed the many riches that enterprise had contained upon their most exalted minions.
But there was still many minions who had many slaves scattered about the land and who had the empire's coat of arms above their establishments.
These minions were agitated and wanted to know just what the heck the high priests were going to do now as they had about stuffed the joint and unless they came up with something pretty good, pretty darn quick all of those minions were going to have to find their beggars bowls to earn a quid or find another cult of high priests to enable them to enjoy some gainful employment!

So the high priests consulted their soothsayers who in their wisdom pointed out that the empire had many slaves in the land of rain and fog and sometimes snow and where all was grey and which was the home of the tribe called Poms on the other side of the world who could make a reaping device that would satisfy the discerning grain growing kulaks in the land down under and would enable the grain growing kulaks to reap with confidence and enthusiasm and that this would bring much riches to the high priests.
So many reaping devices from the land of fog and rain and sometimes snow which is the land of the tribe called Poms and where all is grey were loaded onto great canoes and sent to the land down under.

And number of great exhibitions were held where the reaping devices and cunning inventions of many empires were displayed and the new reaping device from the land of fog and rain and the tribe of the Poms was displayed for the first time to the discerning grain growing kulaks.
And the high priests looked upon the enterprise with hope and favor.
And the grain growing kulaks and their female companions and their mistresses and many young descendants came in great numbers and looked upon the empire's proudly displayed new reaping device with open mouths and then they would burst out laughing.
The high priests were not amused and demanded to know why the grain growing kulaks and the minions of the other empires were rolling around on the ground laughing at their reaping devices.

When suitable liquid refreshments had been supplied in liberal quantities and the tongues were loosened, the high priests of the empire were aghast at what they heard.

The supreme efforts of their slaves in the land of fog and rain and sometimes snow, the land of the tribe called Poms and where all is grey had come to nought.
"Who in the bloody heck was stupid enough to put a stinking hot bloody engine and it's bloody exhaust right down under the guts of the bloody header where you can't get at it and where it runs down in the stubble when it's 100 degrees in the shade".
"You'll burn the crap out of the country if you try and sell that thing" says the grain growing kulaks and they rode off into the sunset shaking their heads in disbelief and still laughing.

So the high priests in great dismay and after much further consultation decided that their remaining slaves in the great enterprise in the land down under could fashion their own reaping devices for the land down under's discerning grain growing kulaks.

Much thought and labour and great wealth was expended over many years to get the new reaping device just right.
With the expenditure of much more great wealth, ripe grain crops were purchased and hired slaves cut and bound and carted the bound crop to the great enterprise's secret lair where much thinking and drawing and arguing and arm waving was done and much cutting and hacking and welding was done to create the new reaping device.
A great long belt was created upon which the bound crop was unbound and then evenly distributed.
And after much calculation and head scratching it was decided that 11 seconds was long enough to see what happened to the unbound crop as it entered the about to be created new reaping device that would enable the grain growing kulaks to reap with confidence and enthusiasm.

And the new reaping device was created with great patience and much care and it sat at the end of the long belt upon which the unbound crop lay and when a slave pressed the button and electrons flowed and the belt moved at speed feeding the unbound crop into the new reaping device for 11 seconds.
The new reaping device, with great cunning, had clear panels to watch the unbound crop enter upon the reaping device and watch the contortions that the unbound crop went through while it had the daylights hammered out of it by the many whizz bang go go spinning and shaking bits inside of the reaping device.
A so that the most intelligent slaves and those who carried bits of paper saying they were intelligent could remember what had happened, seeing eyes in black boxes were placed in front of the clear panels and put everything they observed onto long strips of film so that the intelligent ones and those with bits of paper saying they were intelligent could play with the strips of film and slow it down and watch over and over again what happened to the unbound crop inside of the new reaping device.

And much further hacking and cutting and welding and arm waving went on for many months and years until the reaping device was perfect.
And then when all was perfect with the reaping device, the wide bits with many points that gathered the crop were attached to a real copy of the new reaping device and all was ready for the high priests and the intelligent ones and those with bits of paper saying they were intelligent to watch the first gathering of the crop by the new reaping device.

A suitable crop was selected and acquired by the minions of the high priests and all gathered to watch with great enthusiasm as the reaping device was perfect beyond doubt as was well proven with the great 11 second belt and much unbound crop in the secret lair.

And the signal was given to drive the new reaping device into the crop and it was perfect FOR 11 SECONDS.
post #95 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM

ROM, I'm waiting with interest for a chapter on the Great Chamberlain takeover by evil green.
Great writing and storytelling, just like my Dad. Please keep it up.
post #96 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
rom

A lot of what I have posted here is personal reminiscences, ideas and thoughts I have picked up in my three score and ten plus years so a few more reminiscences probably won't make much difference.

We all go along to various farm machinery field days and exhibitions and there are very few farmers around who can resist the urge to have a look over the latest and greatest bits of gear whether it's the make we are supposedly loyal to or the opposition's offerings.
I suspect there there is often a deep down and slightly unsettling suspicion that we may not have made the best choice of a particular make of machine and we need that comforting feeling of being right by finding supposedly substantial faults as we run our eye over the opposition's offerings.

We also get more cynical as we see supposed improvements and innovations dressed up as new but which as an old hand at farm machinery, we know has been around for a long time.

But every now and then there is a significant change and perhaps once in a decade in farm machinery a real shift and change in a particular sector of agriculture as some completely new technological advance appears almost out of nowhere.
The most recent and quite spectacular jump in technology was the very rapid appearance and development of the satellite based, Auto Guidance technology and the even more staggering speed at which the agricultural industries have adopted and adapted to the technology and how these same supposedly conservative industries are rapidly changing even their long established systems and methods to fit around the auto guidance systems.
The strange thing here is that there does not seem to be an overwhelming financial case to justify the heavy financial cost of installing a full on auto guidance system.
We have to look at the social and personal psychological benefits for any justification for the purchase of the auto guidance systems, not that you will get many farmers to admit this as they will invariably point out how you can inter row sow and etc and etc and then perhaps will add how much more work they can do because they don't get as tired at the end of the day.
Two decades ago to suggest that by say the year 2000 tractors would be quite capable of steering themselves across a field would have been regarded as fantasy and more in line with some science fiction story dreamt up by some reporter to keep your attention.
Little did we dream of the speed that this satellite based Auto Steering technology would be adopted by farming of every persuasion.

Some day there will be a doctorate or two earned by looking at the factors that have driven the adoption of some technologies that few would have ever expected to be adopted so quickly whereas other supposedly advanced technologies that appeared to have every thing in their favour were tried and then quietly disappeared again.

Interesting looking back in my working life and seeing an almost identical personal response when my new MIL bought me a set of ear muffs as my new wife use to complain how grumpy I was when I got home off the tractor at night.
After some pressure from my wife who insisted I wear those ear muffs I finally succumbed and put them on for a round of the paddock on the open to the weather, no cabin tractor.
I went to take those earmuffs off and was totally shocked at the sheer volume and painfulness of the noise.
I always wore those earmuffs every time I worked the tractor after that and then rapidly found that even in the workshop in the most noisy jobs it was far more comfortable using those muffs as well.
A very small advance which we would never consider as significant to our comfort and health but one that could not be made until suitable advances had been made in materials and design that made those earmuffs a viable and comfortable noise suppression method.
Yet those earmuffs made a big difference to our relationship and I believe saved my hearing.

Well I think it did but my wife and kids differ!
And there is a strong suspicion in the family that I can turn on the domestic deafness quite rapidly when required.

And a small anecdote on this from an old guy who predates me by at least a decade.

I was leaning over a tire of the latest, greatest, shiniest, most expensive and etc combine at the local machinery field days a few weeks back when an 84 year old acquaintance drifted up to lean on the tire with me.
Together we surveyed the mass of extremely complicated and shiny metal, plastic, belts, pulleys and etc that passed for a combine.
We shook our heads and pursed our lips at the complication and the cost but then perhaps a bit of reality about the God Old Days comparisons appeared.
You know, he said, when I started driving a Vickers Aussie tractor way back in the late 1930's there was this bloody great 6 inch diameter straight out exhaust pipe popping, banging and bellowing away only a couple of feet in front of me.
And you know, he said, that exhaust would have made me stone deaf if I could have heard it over the noise from the gearbox!
And with that and keeping a perfectly straight face, he wandered off!

When I look at those new ideas and advances I often ask myself, I wonder where or how the designers picked that idea up and being somewhat cynical I also wonder who in the heck had his bright idea swiped by some corporation which will never ever admit that they pinched it from some individual who with very limited resources has no hope of ever getting his quite valid claim ever considered by the corporation or even the courts.
I know from my reading of history and a couple of long ago personal anecdotes of a couple of major advances made by large corporations that were based on original ideas and even machines built by innovative individuals who got no recognition and were denied any recognition by the corporation.

A couple of personal anecdotes on just how some of these advances in agricultural machinery have been picked up by the designers.
I have no doubt at all that there are many, many farmers who can tell similar stories to the following about ideas that they have had which have been picked up by some manufacturer so we are not unique in these stories.

A half dozen years back Rolf and I were looking at the R62 when Rolf said , you know if they put that bin unloading auger straight through the side of the bin across to the right hand bottom of the bin and used the bottom auger to move the grain to the right to the unloading auger, you could have a straight unloader auger which would run through the bin and when it was folded out would be straight with no gearboxes, universals or anything else and it would have a lot better capacity when unloading.
And the fold would be equally as simple.

Well I wrote that idea up on the other combine forum a few weeks later.
Interestingly we can't find that post at all now although we have looked carefully for it.
And isn't it strange that MF have come out with that identical system of bin unloader auger in their latest offering, a system that I have never heard of previously to Rolf's suggestion.

My brother, Brian, a very innovative guy who owns the R75 with the 45 foot Honeybee draper in Rolf's R62 photos and who I was in partnership for many years, and I imported the second or third rubber tracked Cat Challenger 65 into Australia in January 1989.
Cat refused to supply us as they did not have the trained techs in Australia to service it so we brought it in privately.
Needless to say we had excellent service from the local Cat agency as soon as it arrived.
A consequence of this a year or two later after Cat had a lot of publicity about this tractor was that following the local machinery field days we had dinner with a small group of Cats then Ag division reps.
One of these guys, who will be called Bill for this yarn, was the American head of Cat's new Ag machinery research section when Cat was seriously looking at getting back into the farm equipment industry in it's own right.
Sitting along side of Bill, I asked him, not expecting a straight answer, what was the next step the Cats were going to make with the tracked machines after the introduction of the 65 series.
Well he said, we can't really do anything in new models until we figure out how to make the tracks adjustable for row crop work and we haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Well thats not very difficult I replied, a comment that in retrospect deservedly collected a fairly cold glance from Bill.

I asked Bill if he had a pen and paper which he duly produced and on that piece of paper I drew a rough sketch with an engine in front, the main gearbox at the rear and the big central cross beam of the Challenger 65's that supports the track system as an axle and differential.
The tracks were modular and slid in and out on the central beam / axle with a gearbox or chain drive back to the rear track drive wheel.
Bill looked at the rough sketch for a few moments and looked straight at me; You realise we don't pay for ideas like this, he said and then he repeated it.
No I did not expect payment as there really was not much I could do with the idea.
There were also some other short questions and discussions and my opinion sought on the various aspects of my idea and it was shown to my brother who took one look and said, well if you put air bags here and here you will have a fully sprung track system.
There were open mouths around the table.

You first saw this different in detail but fundamental in principle modular and adjustable in width track system in the small Genesis based Cats that followed the Challenger 65 series.
The Genesis series were a very expensive exercise for Cats and it was found that rather than modifying an existing machine it was much cheaper to build a new design from scratch.

There is a lot more to this story including how JD pinched the principle directly off Cat's design through a local custom 4 WD tractor builder [ who had built a very good 4WD for us to our specs ] who went to JD with his copy of Cat's track system.
All of which led to an international court case, a very interesting and educational episode, until Cats and JD came to an agreement when Cat decided to again get out of it's direct involvement in Agricultural machinery production.

And yes, in a way we did get paid.
We finished up with one of the most updated A series Challenger 65's around .

There are also a couple of other not that dissimilar personal episodes I could also post about but just one more and it has nothing to do with machinery.

Medic plants, a nitrogen fixing pasture legume which originates from the Mediterranean and North Africa have been one of the greatest influences on the fertility of Australian soils ever.
By the end of WW2, Australia's already poor soils were very depleted by the run down in nutrients over the previous half to century long history of cropping and yields were dropping steadily and wind caused soil erosion was a serious problem.
Following WW2 there was a tremendous program put in place by the farmers using medics to rebuild our cropping soils.
The result was rapidly rising fertility for crops and with very high prices for wool at the time, very substantial returns from sheep running on the medic pastures.

In the 1970's and 80's we had a heavy investment in the medic seed industry with the building of a large medic seed harvester and a seed cleaning plant and were exporting to South Africa and many North African and Middle East nations.
So when my brother took over the business in the 1990's, he became instrumental in getting a significant medic and clover breeding and research program off the ground in the USA initially using Australian varieties and medic and clover plant breeding technology.
He was on a first name basis with some of the most senior people and plant breeders in the pasture division of the USDA.
Unfortunately this natural soil nitrogen fixing and fertility increasing plant technology has gone nowhere as the American farmer is firmly wedded to the use of artificial nitrogen.
And in Australia in the last decade and a half we have also gone down the artificial nitrogen fertilizer track.
But the natural plant soil nitrogen fixing technology is all there ready for use with aerial seeding type clovers and medics having been selected and researched by American pasture plant breeders initially using Australian developed plant technology.

One day we will in all likely hood, for reasons that are not yet clear, need that plant soil fertility increasing technology again.

All of the above are just a very few and very small examples on how the messy, chaotic and unforecastable changes and advancements in our agricultural technologies slowly and in fits and starts advances into the future.

To be continued

Cheers.
post #97 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)

What's wrong with that?

Don
post #98 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Just a side note to the Cat CID that ROM and his Brother had! Those same Cat reps were quoted as saying that it cost more R & D funds to find the right spot to put the access handles on the side of the machine, so you and me can get in to the tractor cab!

So next time your complaining about the Air con or heater in the latest machinery, it may be your respective manufacturer has spend the all R & D funds on the steps or handles around the top of the cab so you can hang on while you clean the window three time a year, instead of the AC which was just pinched from a Chev Caprice! And it don't work in 40 degree heat due to the fact that they have a four times the size heat exchanger in there for the heater!!! (Harvesting corn in the snow did convince me that they are needed that big! )
Rolf
post #99 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

ROM

Quote:The most recent and quite spectacular jump in technology was the very rapid appearance and development of the satellite based, Auto Guidance technology and the even more staggering speed at which the agricultural industries have adopted and adapted to the technology and how these same supposedly conservative industries are rapidly changing even their long established systems and methods to fit around the auto guidance systems.
The strange thing here is that there does not seem to be an overwhelming financial case to justify the heavy financial cost of installing a full on auto guidance system.
We have to look at the social and personal psychological benefits for any justification for the purchase of the auto guidance systems, not that you will get many farmers to admit this as they will invariably point out how you can inter row sow and etc and etc and then perhaps will add how much more work they can do because they don't get as tired at the end of the day.

Could'nt have said it better myself.

Personally I figure there is only 2 real reasons to buy a new piece of equipment or new piece of technology to install in the older equipment. 1 is that you simply want it. IE: you have worked hard and made some money and you simply feel that the new equipment is something you want. You dont have to justify it to anyone, you made the money, you can spend it as you please.
2 is that it will make you money. IE: the purchase will increase the efficiency of your operation enough to pay for the equipment and then return high(er) profit.

Each time I am approached by a sales person, I put the simple challenge to them to prove the ROI. I dont "want" any of it and I consider it far more stressfull and tiring to operate equipment with autosteering and auto this and auto that. But that is my own personal opinion, not a slam on the technology.

So far, no takers on the ROI challenge. The profitability of the farm comes first. Should it ever be proven that auto this and that will pay, I will put my personal feeling aside as again, the farm's profitability comes first.

On the unloader deal, I still cant figure out why we are still using a combine with the tank on top. The whole point of that anchient idea was to unload by gravity before mechanized unloaders were thought up.

I wonder where Farmbuddy is. I would think that this sort of thread would be of interest to him.
post #100 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
rom

Ok, I've scratched around enough at the edges here without seriously getting into some blue sky stuff on possible future developments in combines and perhaps in tractors as well.
So before I get into into this subject with it's unlimited blue sky potential there are a couple of qualifications;
Most ie; nearly all of the following ideas won't happen!
What we don't expect or have not predicted will happen!

Any opinions expressed here are worth exactly what you have paid for them.

It's fairly easy just to plunge into suggesting a whole host of new ideas about the way in which combines and tractors will evolve but behind any thinking along these lines is another much more subtle impact and that is the effects of culture, circumstances, social systems, financial power and national attitudes to technology and acceptance of advances in technology.
All of these have very significant effects and subtle pressures on the way in which designers, engineers, executives, the politicals, bureaucracy with it's regulations and the conservatism of the farming sector look upon and accept or reject new advances in technology and the types of technology that is acceptable to that particular part of that society.
To Americans it all looks pretty straight forward to just use the newest technology and if it fits into the system then it is used.
South Americans, Europeans, Chinese, Indians, Ukranians, Kazakhs and others from the newest and increasingly important grain producing areas of the world may look quite differently at new technology compared to the way that American farmers do.

Australian farmers hold views that are quite close to the American view on the adoption of new agricultural technology but even here we see the world quite a bit differently to most Americans.
Australia with it's 23 million population is only a few hundred kilometres across the Timor Sea from the fourth largest nation on Earth, Indonesia with a population of 231 millions.

Within a radius of less than 7500 kilometres from Darwin, Australia's northern most state capital to New Delhi in India and 6000 kms to Beijing in China, there are 13 nations with a combined population of 4 billion people.
For comparison New York to Honolulu is 8000kms / 4320 mls.
It does give one a somewhat different view of life when you are a small nation occupying a large land mass with this immense population sitting on your doorstep so as to speak.

For nearly a century America has been the largest grain producer and exporter on the planet.
Canada was next largest exporter as distinct from producer followed in export volume by Australia and Argentina with about the same export tonnages.
As such the USA with it's immense grain and corn production and it's immense industrial capabilities created the circumstances where a number of it's agricultural machinery corporations rose to become the dominant farm machinery corporations on the planet.
It did not necessarily have to turn out this way.

Under the old Czarist Russia before the Russian Communist revolution of 1917 and for the decade following the revolution Russia was rapidly industrialising and it's grain production from the great areas of fertile Russian and Ukrainian black soils or podzol soils were starting to produce larger tonnages of grain as the kulaks, the peasants who owned their own land and who were rich enough to hire labour started to adopt better farming technologies.
Although this increase in grain production was interrupted by the Russian famine of 1921.

The steady advance in Russian farming technology was brought to stop when Stalin started the great purges of the 1930's where some millions of Kulaks who Stalin feared because of their independence, were eliminated by the bullet or in the gulags of Siberia and the forced collectivisation of farmland was implemented by Stalin using the full weight of the Communist Party apparatus which was under his complete totalitarian control.
The result was a period known as the Great Famine of 1931 and 32 in the Ukraine and across Russia in which further millions perished.

It is only now that the immense areas of the highly fertile podzol soils of Ukraine and southern and eastern Russia are again, after nearly 80 years, starting to show their immense grain producing potential.
Even the central Asian states such as Kazakhstan are now producing millions of tonnes of grain although like all of these deep continental regions they are subject to immense swings in the year to year seasonal weather and so are likely to have a highly variable output of grain into the future.

A Ukrainian government english language agricultural site which I check regularly.
http://www.agrimarket.info/

All of these newly emerging grain producing areas are moving as rapidly as possible to maximise the mechanisation of their agriculture, particularly grain growing as grain is the essential staple of so much of mankind's diet and grain production has been mechanised for over a century in the west so the technology is all there.
However, most of these countries do not, for their own national reasons which are political and the desire to build up their own industrial capacity, want to just directly buy their harvesting, planting and tractor and cultivating equipment from the west.
So they are establishing new or updating old plants to produce their own mechanised systems for their immense production potential.
Kazakhstan for instance uses mostly Russian origin combines but JD also has a foothold in there with one JD combine equal to about 4 of the Russian machines in the Kazakh's opinions.
But this also gives a benchmark for the now privatised Russian manufacturers to try and match and with a quite good cadre of highly skilled engineers they only need time before they start to match the sophisticated American origin machinery.
The same story is being repeated in all of the new grain producing regions such as a fast mechanising China.
India also is now a grain exporter but possibly not for long as they deplete the great underground water aquifers to irrigate their crops at unsustainable levels of water useage.
Russia and Ukraine are rapidly increasing production with the very poor and serious lack of infrastructure the only really serious impediment to a much faster rise in production,
The central Asian Republics, the Stans as they are nicknamed, are also rapidly increasing grain production.

So the American producers of combines and mechanised agricultural machinery may well lose their world dominance over the next couple of decades.
Also nearly all of these new producers and the accompanying combine and tractor production from these regions will be much of a much simpler and cheaper designs and in a lot of cases will handle very harsh and poorer maintenance than the increasingly "sophisticated" American produced machines.
I certainly would not want to be out in the back blocks of Uzbekistan and blow a circuit board.
It takes more than a few days to get a new one in Australia let alone in some place like central Asia.

It is almost inevitable that American combine producers in their international markets and eventually within the American market will have some increasingly strong competition particularly in price and in sections of the market that want a smaller and simpler machine than the western manufacturers appear to want to supply at the moment.
A lot of these new and competitive machines will probably be simpler or stripped down or copies of older models of American combines in any case.

And forget the quality problems of past attempts to introduce theses foreign production combines into the USA market.
You only have to look at the way that the early Japanese cars were rapidly upgraded in quality or the way the Taiwanese companies and now Chinese companies are upgrading the quality of their products to meet and match western produced articles.
The same will happen with combines, tractors, planters and many similar items.
And then when that level of quality is achieved, the new innovations in advance of anything produced by the west will start to appear and then life will get real interesting for a whole host of manufacturers and farmers.
Th next couple of decades will be very interesting indeed in the farm machinery game!

To be continued.

Cheers

Text had been double entered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page