The push button Combine [ & Tractor ] - Page 11 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
rom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The push button Combine [ & Tractor ]

Thanks Don. Wondered if I had messed that up.

Will be missing for a week or more folks but I think and hope there is enough in all of the above posts to give you all something to have a think and a comment about

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM

ROM, keep up the good work- this is some of the more interesting reading on the web. Bigboy

post #103 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
rom

When I was still just a small boy a long, long time ago, the kid's stories always started with something like "Once upon a time there were"!
So!
Once upon a time when there were no chemicals for the farmers to use to control weeds in crops, the farmers use to have to sit on their tractors and cultivators for many hundreds of hours each year to cultivate and kill those weeds each time they came up.
This was to try and reduce those weeds right down to the minimum before the crops were sown.
And the cultivation also helped keep the moisture that was deep down in the soil for the crops to draw on while they grew through the drying spring.
And every time a new lot of weeds came up in a paddock the farmers would have to cultivate that paddock all over again.

For those innocents who were born after 1960, in our patch down here in south eastern Australia, the first crop herbicide, the crystalline form of 24D was used locally in cereal crops, from memory, in about 1947.
In 1948 24D became available in the liquid form.
The application method was best described as primitive with a converted galvanised water tank, a fire pump and an incredibly wide 30 foot boom spray attached to the back of the old truck with mostly reams of fencing wire.
But in those days long before any weed resistance was even imagined, you only had to wave the label of the herbicide drum past a weed and it fell over.

Sophistication was having a pressure gauge and an adjustable relief valve for flow control and a working speedo for the right travel speed.
Calculations were done using pen and paper and what maths could be remembered from school.
[ The small electronic calculator first appeared in the very early 1970's and I remember looking longingly at one with just the four basic functions for the then unaffordable sum of $140, I think, in about 1971 or 1972.
A tradesman's wages then were a good deal less than a $100 / week.]

The advent of herbicides was a part of a complete revolution of Australian agriculture starting at the end of WW2 that in a great technological leap over the next decade took Australian agriculture into the modern era.
It is a period that is totally neglected by academic historians who write great long screeds on politics and industry and so called influential figures but totally ignore the most basic underpinnings of our society, the incredible ability of the world's farmers to provide the ever increasing food needs of the world's continually growing population and the advances made by researchers and farmers in creating these productivity increases.
Without adequate and cheap food, without adequate and cheap energy, all of mankind's so called advances would have come to a dead halt but have historians and later generations in western civilisation ever recognised this?
No!
This attitude of benign neglect of modern agricultural history on the part of historians is merely a reflection of attitudes of the western urban and academic populations who are increasingly isolated and divorced from the reality of the hard facts of nature and just assume it is their right and will always be their right to have access to any amount of cheap food and cheap energy whenever they want it.

In 1950 some of the first aerial crop spraying in our patch in western Victoria using ex WW2 converted Tiger Moth training aircraft took place from our property.
That was a hilarious two day long episode that is well remembered as the whole district turned up.
Utes were despatched to bring back loads of certain fermented beverages to entertain the potential customers while they watched the two aircraft do their take offs and landings across the paddock and the flying while they were doing their aerial spraying.
There was much juggling for positions as the assembled and potential customers got into line to get their crops sprayed.
And then when all the jobs were finally finished, the aircraft departed, darkness fell and the departing throng wended their very unsteady way out through the gate and homewards to the welcoming [ ? ] arms of their spouses and next morning's headache.
The pilots stayed sober, just!

Despite the new fangled sprays and the unbelievable weed control they now offered we still spent many, many long boring hours on tractors going around and around a patch of dirt in a tradition as old as civilisation itself, that of ploughing and cultivating the soil.
Often it smelt good and felt good to smell that wet earth and see the sun shining on the newly turned soil.
Sometimes we baked in the harsh sun of the Australian summer or miserably froze for hours on end as we sat like miserable frozen stones on those open tractors in the depths of Australia's southern winters.
To fight the overwhelming boredom we sang at the tops of our voices or dreamt dreams, some of which we would never ever tell another human being.
Or we schemed and thought about life, the universe and everything in it.

And sometimes we thought and worked at great length on problems or solutions to a perceived problem or we sat there and thought, there has to be a better way than this.

In the spring of those long ago years with their good wet winters of the early 1970's, the medics and clovers were two feet high and that dense you would walk across them.
And the mowers, all of six or seven foot wide would come out of the shed to start the mowing for the hay baling and all the hard physical work that involved in loading and stacking those round Roto bales of hay.
The delightful vision of that mass of green medics and clovers settling to the ground as the sickle mowed through under it turned to a sickening feeling when you saw some small harmless bird or animal that did not realise the deadly danger coming at them under that green mass, cut to pieces by that deadly knife.
Again the boredom set in after the first few hours of traipsing round and round a 200 acre paddock with a 6 or 7 foot mower at perhaps 8 miles per hour.
The odd stop to repair a blade or remove a blockage until you hit a bad patch or something solid and then the frustrating hour or two when you repaired the knife and the damage, all the while trying not to seriously cut yourself on those sharp knife sections while working on them.

Then I used to sit and think on that tractor while the knife chattered it's way back and forth and the tractor exhaust popped away in front of me, there has to be a better way than this to mow the medics and clovers.
And so was born the idea of using a very thin wire strung very tightly across the mower in place of the knife.
The wire would be running at speed around pulleys but a little thought and no that would not work for various reasons.
Some more thought and then a brain wave!

Ultrasonics, the application of very high frequencies to some applications was being touted in some circles in the science mags I read and in fact there was a clothes washing machine that supposedly used an ultrasonic generator to clean clothes and without any moving parts.
[ ultrasonics are still used today to clean electronic components during manufacture ]

Now a very tightly strung and very thin wire vibrating at extremely high ultrasonic frequencies would possibly destroy the cell wall structure of a plant very rapidly and could possibly act as a knife in a mower type device, or so my thinking in about the early 1970's went.
I tried to find one of those ultrasonic powered washing machines but with the limited communications of the day in rural Australia I could not find any suitable ultrasonic device to try my idea out on so as with so many ideas like this one, with the passing of time, it was also eventually put into the file on the ideas that may have worked or sounded like a good idea at the time.

Then a few years ago came the invention of the carbon nanotubes.
Tiny tubes of pure carbon that are literally only millionths of a millimetre [ nanometres ] in diameter and of truly immense strength.
As more experiments and an understanding of the features of carbon nanotubes takes place it is very likely that in the not very distant future carbon nanotubes will be assembled into almost invisible human hair diameter strings of immense strength.

Then perhaps we will see somebody somewhere experimenting by doing away with the 150 year old technology of the knife / sickle sections and replacing it with a carbon nanotube string, strung under immense tension right across the front of a combine's header in place of the knife.
The carbon nanotube string would be made to vibrate at very high ultrasonic frequencies and this would hopefully act as a extremely sharp knife that would destroy and slice through the cell walls of the plant in an instantaneous fashion and so act as an almost wear proof and indestructible knife or sickle.
The finger guards might still be necessary for both crop guidance into the string and to protect the string.
The vibration frequencies of the nanotube string would be set so that the nodes of maximum vibration would be at 3 inch spacings to fit in with the knife guard spacings or perhaps a different spacing would be more beneficial as the cutting of the crop would no longer be limited to this particular spacing which is tied into the knife section specifications.

And so something along these lines might one day appear on the front of the platforms of combine's headers in place of the present vibrating and constant high maintenance knife systems.
No moving parts.
No vibration.
No gumming up in green, sappy plant conditions.
Probably very safe compared to the knives / sickles.
And just the occasional nanotube string replacement.

And that is my "Blue Sky" thought for today!

Ps;
Now somewhere I have just read that scientists have just developed an extraordinarily slippery and water repellant steel coating treatment.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0225164853.htm

I wonder if it can be be developed to create an extremely slippery surface on that header's platform so that we could just guide the crop in across the sheets of the platform using a bit of air blast and some ridges in the steel for crop guidance?
A minimum of moving parts again!! Hmm!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 AM

ROM do they sell Crary air reels in Australia? The air system is already used but it is not simple and maintanece free.
post #105 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
rom

Yes. Crary Air Reels and Crary wind Systems are sold in Australia and have been ever since their introduction into the US market.
We also have the Vortex Reel with it's air curtain principle.
They are all very useful systems in specific conditions.

We have never used the Crary systems as such but have used a similar simple duct and tube system for many years to get Lentils to feed. [ [ Rolf's R62 Photos ]
The Crary Air Reels are used by a few farmers in the district but they have a quite a few problems when it comes to complication, wear and maintenance.
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
rom

After making a significant contribution to the life styles of the medical profession I am back on deck with a couple of future posts still left in me I hope!

This thread started as a look into the future trends of combine technology but in doing this I have also realised that it is also very interesting to look at where our industry has come from over the past couple of centuries.
So as you have seen in a couple of past posts I have expanded on where Australian farming technology has come from, probably an almost totally unknown part of farming technology as far as north Americans and Europeans are concerned.
Without belaboring the point, it was with some astonishment that I read that Cyrus McCormick, the american industrialist although not the inventor of the Reaper, [ invented by Obed Hussey in 1833 ] who is credited with the introduction of the Reaper on a large scale from 1834 on only introduced the self raker to his reaper in about 1861, or some seven years after the first self raking reaper was produced in 1854.
Even then, north American farmers were still decades away from a simple single man harvesting system.
http://www.answers.com/topic/mccormick-reaper
Meanwhile Australian grain farmers had been using single man operated "strippers" since soon after their invention by either Ridley or Bull in 1843 and thousands of "stripper" were operating in Australian wheat fields only a very few years after their invention.
More details in the previous thread; March 20th.
http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=323

To follow on in the historical context section of this thread I ambled along to the local Easter Agricultural Machinery Display at Warracknabeal some 50 kms north of Horsham.
There is a good selection of the older Australian harvesting machinery and tractors displayed at this Museum.
They eventually intend to ut the entire catalogue on the web but as the whole museum is run solely by older generation volunteers both time and the necessary web skills are not readily available to do this as fast as they would like.
http://warracknabealhistory.org.au/A...ag_museum.html

With few web skills myself I have had a lot of difficulty in figuring out how to place photos / images on the web for others perusal.
Some of these image hosts seem to delight in making their instructions as complicated and convoluted as possible so it was a case of sifting through them until I found one that was simple enough to understand.
Hopefully the following large number of thumbnails / images of the machinery on display at Warracknabeal will come out OK.
If I am infringing on any limits I hope the mods will correct me or make any neccessary changes.
And if there are any questions about these machines just ask and I will try to find the info on the machine.

The following thumbnails / images show some of the harvesting machinery around the end of the 19th century and into the first 50 years of the 20th century.
As I included "tractors" in the thread heading, I have also included a large number of tractors and types, some purely Australian designed and built through the first 70 years of the 20th century.
A further caveat is you will find the photos listed under username "Blackheathen"
I am neither black and definitely not heathen!
The location of our property is in an area known as "Blackheath" and once consisted of a non official Post Office, a church, a school, a cemetery and one farm house, all gone except for the farmhouse and the cemetery, hence the username I assumed for this image host site of the "Blackheathen"

So following is a large number of thumbnails / images on harvesting equipment and tractors from the Warracknabeal Museum.
I hope you find them interesting.

An example of a "stripper" from 1896.

This winnower is man powered . The crank handle can be seen in the first image.
This winnower is almost identical to the one and only time I as a small boy, saw such a winnower being operated by my father to clean some seed oats.

A horse treadle powered winnower.
The treadle can be seen alongside of and part of the winnower.
My long departed neighbor had one of these on his property for many years.
I remember him telling my father that these treadles were horse killers. I can't remember his exact words but I think he quoted something like about twenty minutes on the treadle for a good horse was about the limit and then you had to change horses.

This last machine has a set of rudimentary walkers in it and possibly some sort of thresher but I don't know it's province.
It was probably powered by a belt from a single cylinder oil engine of which there were thousands around the grainlands soon after the turn of the century.

A last sad end to a large winnower.

The Sunshine AL Harvester. There were thousands of these machines produced and used until soon after the end of WW2.
These machines used the stripper principle of a rapidly rotating beater over the finger comb to remove and thresh the heads of grain and then the threshed grain and chaff was thrown into and through a rudimentary thresher seen at the top of the machine and then through the sieves for cleaning.
They were a very simple and robust one man operation machine that produced a very good, clean sample of grain and were ideally suited for the conditions, crop types and low yields of the first half of the 20th century.

A final variation of the Sunshine Stripper of which only a few were produced before the full scale move to "Headers" [ drawn Combines ]

The very popular and ubiquitous Sunshine HST Header. My first header experience and the model I learn't on as a 16 / 17 year old using the extension steering to the tractor.

A 1924 Sunshine Auto Header powered by in this case, by a Fordson engine.
The bagging platform, there was no grain box a such, can be seen on the left hand side.
The single rear wheel steering mechanism is also shown.
Sorry for some of the photos as the room to photograph was very constricted.

The very popular, second to last model example of the Sunshine No4 Header produced by the HV McKay Sunshine works before the take over my MF.

And now for the Tractor aficionados some Australian designed and built tractors;

The Jelbert Tractor built in Ballarat in western Victoria.

An early example of the McDonald Imperial tractor and a later model , some of which were still used into the late 1950's.
They were, like the Lanz Bulldog, single cylinder, two stroke, hot bulb engines but with engine reversed so that the hot bulb was just in front of the navigator!

Ronaldson Tippet tractor built in Ballarat Victoria. I never saw these tractors actually operating and there were probably very few produced.
R.T. was a very large, small and larger sized engine manufacturer until well into the 1970's with some tens of thousands of engines produced over 70 or so years.
They were finally put out of business by the competition from the very large American and Japanese small engine manufacturers.

Chamberlain Tractors, thousands of which were produced over some 30 years starting in the early 1950's in Western Australia.
They were a two cylinder, horizontally opposed piston engine, quite reliable and very popular and drank fuel like it was going out of fashion.
They were petrol / kero engines although some diesel models were produced.
JD bought into them in the 1960's or 70's and in the usual American corporation practices in Australia, slowly stripped Chamberlain's assets with some fancy accounting while claiming heavy losses, got lots of tax payer subsidies and then closed the whole of Chamberlain's manufacturing business down to get rid of any Australian competition to it's north American based machinery export business.

No doubt familiar to north Americans.

Mercedes Benz

I believe that there are possibly less than a half dozen examples of this very early Lanz Bulldog tractor left in the world.

A line up of Lanz Bulldog tractors; Single cylinder, two stroke, hot bulb ignition, fuel was either heavy oil or even crude and sump oil.
They were everywhere before and after WW2
The closest example has the decal K&L on the front. The KL Bulldog as it was known.
These were the Australian license built versions of the German Lanz Bulldog.
On the clear early mornings in winter you could hear the rising pop, pop, pop of Bulldogs starting up all over the country and from miles away.

Swedish [ ? ] Avance tractor; Two cyclinder. two stroke, hot bulb ignition, compressed air start.
If you didn't get it started the first time as happened here, you needed another supply of compressed air and where you got that from in the 1920's except from a tyre pump was a problem?
They also run backwards quite happily as does the Lanz Bulldog.
The Bulldog killed a few people when at very low revs it didn't make it over top dead centre, fired and ran backwards and so reversed over anybody behind it.
A hand clutch which some used from the ground to inch backwards to hook up cultivating gear didn't help the situation.

And etc; The way it was!

An old wire tie pickup baler. This baler was before the automatic wire tie and so the bales had to be tied by hand.
You can see the timber footrest. The seat supports are also there although the seat timber is gone, where the two guys who had to tie the wire on those bales actually sat.
I will leave it to your imagination just what sort of job that was!
I saw this particular man powered bale wire tying operation only once, again as a small boy.

A small single bagging off chaffcutter.

A nice american origin restored engine and the way it was!

If anybody has any questions or wants further information i will try to help.
I hope you have enjoyed the old time picture gallery above!
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

ROM

Quote:I hope you have enjoyed the old time picture gallery above!

Heh,.........................words sort of escape me. Great bit of history there ROM. Thanks for that. I may have to try viewing the full size pics later as for some reason they load only half way and stop.

I have a few pics somewhere on this puter of an old threshing machine from South Africa. It may be an Australian built machine, I'm not sure. But it has I think 3 shutes on the side to put bags on.
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
rom

This may be better for the image loading, Doorknob.
No subtitles though.
Don't know why there is a image loading problem with Image Shack.
Now that I think I am figuring the system out I might try another image hosting site in the future.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/blackheathen/
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
rom

Just thinking!
My brother and I always had a "crazy ideas" department running most of the time.
The only real criteria was that we weren't allowed to just denigrate any idea but would carefully pick the idea apart or modify it or far more likely, one crazy idea often led to other less crazy ideas and eventually led to a completely different way of looking at something.
It was quite remarkable how often a "crazy idea" from one of us led to a completely new and different approach to solving some difficult problem that we may have had at the time.
So the following is a "Crazy Idea".
Make of it what you will!

Everybody wants to get more capacity out of their combines.
So you can hotrod those combines like NDDan and some of the Gleaner hotrodders have been so very successful at doing to the transverse flow Gleaners.
In the process they have shown AGCO just how much more latent and under utilised capacity there is still left in the bog standard rotary Gleaner.
And even better, that quite considerable extra capacity can be achieved with very little extra expense.

Or to get that extra capacity, you can of course go out and buy a larger and far more expensive combine to gain that extra tonnage per hour throughput.

So what other alternatives are there to increasing harvesting capacities, particularly alternatives that do not entail a big outlay or much extra equipment?

An increasing number of combine owners are using grain carts which enable a combine to unload on the run and the grain cart then hauls the grain away to large mobile field bins of perhaps 75 tonnes capacity from which the trucks outload or the grain carts unload directly into to trucks or silos.

Our neighbor some dozen years ago bought and used a grain cart with his IH rotary.
Being very systematic he kept a close record of the extra capacity that he gained from his combine using the grain cart.
It increased the combine's harvested tonnage by close to 30% over a full day's operations and this was also the numbers over the whole season in all the cereal crops.
Effectively he moved up perhaps one and half to two classes in combine capacity just by using a grain cart to haul to a large 75 tonne tractor hauled mobile field bin from which the truck then hauled grain into the grain receival points or to his home based silo system.

There are a number of disadvantages to using a grain cart.
First is the cost of the cart and the extra grain cart tractor driver but the extra capacity and overall efficiency gains of the combine and operator more than make up for this.
Secondly the need for a sufficiently high HP tractor to pull the loaded cart through any difficult ground conditions although here again the normal grain farm tractor usually has sufficient HP and is usually standing idle when harvesting and so can be used for the cart haulage.
The need for reasonably experienced tractor and combine drivers who can coordinate their speeds and timing and distances apart so as to not spill any grain or far better, being skilled enough to avoid a collisions between the tractor / cart and header end.
This problem is usually solved by the combine at least using an auto steer system which drives a straight line which then enables the cart driver to formate with the combine with relative ease but even a slight misjudgment by the cart driver can and will lead to very expensive noises arising at the juncture point of tractor / cart and the end of the header.

The combine to cart unloading situation and maintaining the right clearance / distance for unloading becomes very touchy when the harvesting speeds start to get up past the 10 KPH or higher speeds [ 6 MPH plus ]
10 Kph and much higher harvesting speeds are not at all unusual in the Australian lighter crop conditions.
And it gets much worse when unloading at speed over undulating ground.

Then another disadvantage is the need for the combine to always unload on the same LH side which means that a considerable amount of juggling of box filling distances has to be made to accommodate the direction of travel so that the combine can be unloaded into the cart when the box is near full which needs to be when the unloader auger is on the harvested side on the left.
And at speed the distance travelled while unloading can very rapidly use up the available distance before the combine has to turn for the back run from which the combine cannot be unloaded due to the unloader being on the crop side unless a round and round or racetrack type harvesting pattern is followed.
Only possible with standing cereal crops.

The current situation with grain carts here in Australia is not that dissimilar to the introduction of much new farm technology.
GPS based auto steer systems are a recent classic case of how the introduction of new technologies are adopted by the farming community and it's supporting manufacturing organisations.

First the rather crude and trouble prone new technology systems come out of some small manufacturer and the early adopters move right on in.
If after a few years it looks like the new technology, despite the known problems, is slowly being adopted by more and more farmers then as in this auto guidance case, the larger electronics manufacturers pick up the technology and refine it so that it becomes more reliable, more accurate and much simpler to maintain and to fit into existing machines.
From this point the race is on amongst manufacturers to get a very substantial hold in the market and the advertising and sales pressure and the sophistication of the technology increases at a very rapid rate.

Then finally the technology is fitted as an integral part of the new machines by the combine / tractor manufacturers and within a few years is expected to be a standard fitment by the purchasers of any new combines and tractors.

I have seen this pattern with grain loss monitors in the 1960's and again with the ongoing introduction of the auto steer systems into today's combines and tractors.

A similar pattern is becoming evident with the introduction of grain carts at least here in Australia.
More and more combine owners are moving to grain carts to increase their combine's output while trying to minimise any extra expenditure.

The next move by savvy grain cart manufacturers will be to dramatically reduce the chances of collisions with the combine's header end and to make the formating of the grain cart with the combine as easy as possible for both the combine operator and the grain cart tractor driver.
This will probably entail a short range radio link between the combine's and the tractor's auto guidance systems that will enable the tractor to automatically match speeds and maintain a constant distance to the combine.
It will also include an unloading auger control that will automatically switch on the unloader when the grain cart is correctly positioned and switch it off if the grain cart moves too far out of position.

Then some combine manufacturer will realise that without much extra research or much massive new investment in new tooling for even larger capacity combines, they can, by developing at low cost, a grain cart that is fully compatible with their current range of combines and which has a complete interlink so as to accurately formate with that particular combine model / make, increase the tonnage capabilities of their entire range of combines by a very substantial amount.
And up goes their combine's capacity by perhaps another 25% as long as their grain cart is also part of the deal.

Then the next development takes place and that is to configure the combine to take better advantage of the grain cart's strengths.
A combine manufacturer realises that the combine can only unload while going one way and that is with the unload auger away from the crop.
Well it doesn't seem too hard to place an unloader turret [ and I don't like turrets one little bit but for this exercise!] right in the middle front of the combine grain box which would allow the unloader to swing to either side so that unloading can be done while traveling in either direction.
Nor with the auto steer is it completely necessary to place the cab right in the centre of the combine.

JD's had a few models that had an off set cab to allow for a front mounted engine so as a crazy idea, why not place the unloader turret out in front of the grain box with the option to swing both ways and off set the cab to allow the turret placement in the centre.
For the rotor type combines, this would put the well of the turret ahead of the rotor end which would make life a lot easier for the designer.
This would also allow the grain cart to start to load while well down the run and then pull out at the end while the combine does it's turn and starts back down the field and the grain cart could then reposition again, the loader would be swung to the opposite and now new cart position and the unloading process would be completed.
Naturally the grain cart's unloader would also be a fully fold down unloader so that the grain cart can be loaded from either side.

With a number of combines operating in a field such a system would have huge benefits as a reduced number of grain carts could service a number of combines regardless of their direction of travel as the carts would be in constant loading, traveling and unloading mode.

One other current problem with combines and the use of grain carts is that combine engines are run at close to constant full power while harvesting.
Combine engines as with all engine's outputs are based on duty cycles.
Below is the typical specification for a CAT engine's duty cycle;

IND - C (Intermittent) Intermittent service where maximum power and/or speed are cyclic. The power and speed capability of the engine can be utilized for one uninterrupted hour followed by one hour of operation at or below IND - A. Time at full load is not to exceed 50% of the duty cycle.
Typical service examples are: agricultural tractors,harvesters and combines.

With the use of grain carts the combine engines are simply run at close to full power for many hours at a time and this is something that the engine manufacturers are very unhappy about.
Cummins here in Australia are very wary of combine engines as they are regarded by Cummins as being pushed way past their operating regimes as regards duty cycles in combine operations.
And that is with regular high idle no load running and a consequent cool down cycle while unloading let alone with continuous high power and no low power interludes for duty cycle purposes.

That is something that the combine manufacturers need to fully consider as well but up to now they seem to just want to look the other way and hope that any engine problems just disappear.
They won't and the introduction of grain carts on a large scale as a cheap way of increasing combine productivity is merely going to increase the combine manufacturer's engine problems unless they rethink their current combine powering strategies.

And while we are about it, why are cabs which are nearly fully self contained these days as they are built as multi use units, always bolted down in the one position.
Why not have cabs on a simple hydraulically controlled arm that will allow a cab to move a limited distance left, right,in and out, possibly up and down and also have a limited rotation so that the operator can position him / her self in a position that suits them best.

Crazy Idea I know!

Cheers
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

ROM, there have a been a few threads of "futuristic" combines. I dont know how to use the search feature here, so I'll upload a pic or two of one of those machines.

These are not my pictures. I did not originally post them here, and take no credit for them. I can not find the original thread with them and many more, but they were posted here to this site a short while ago.

Several folks have been looking for that elusive combination meant for unloading and high capacity. Here's but one man's version.
Again, these pics I have collected from other places. They are not mine, but have been circulated for quite some time on the web.

Most of these unloading concepts are patented, perhaps in more than just the USA, but the full disclosure is available at the USPTO.

ROM, I'm pretty sure you are aware of the Pioneer drill company, and the "Yielder" drill? The drills were made in the Spokane Washington state USA area. Many owners use a liquid fertilizer and had setup there liquid tanks on the rear of the drill, fully mounted. Wehn on a steep hillside, the liquid of course would tend to over weight the downhill side and the uphill side would of course then shallow up as the weight was no longer there to keep the openers in the soil.

Someone then come up with the idea to utilize the allready existing technology and put the tanks on a rolling rack that would hydraulically push the tank setup to the uphill side of the drill, evening out the weight distribution once again.

Personally, I no longer have a use for a superstructured combine. IMO, it has outgrown its usefull lifespan by quite a lot. The same basic configuration of threshing, seperating componentry being on the lwoer side and the tank and engine being on the upper side, has not changed since the original concept was introduced. Far too many limitations are imposed with this layout. Just look at the seeding machinery layout changes that have taken place over the years. You dont see 60' box drills folding up for transport. You dont even see hardly any box drills on multiple hitches anymore. Those designs simply reached their maximum expansion abilities years ago, and changes were made. Now we have folding 60' opener carts with pull between and pull behind nutrient and commodity carts for supplying the openers.

Most other aspects of the ag machinery base has made similar changes over the years. Yet,............the combine........??

More later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page