Dynaflex issue in peas - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Barn
Dynaflex issue in peas

Does anybody have problems with running the dynaflex header in peas? We have been trying to get the bugs out of the header for a year. We have made progress but right now the issue is hanging up the vines on the end of the header and making a mess. The crop dividers are fixed and run three or four inches off the ground and are like a giant harpoon gathering up the vines on the end and on the longer vines may be dragging vines 6 feet beyond the end of the header thereby shelling the peas out of the pods for 6 feet and beating the heck out of the vines on the inside of the header before the end reel tines.

Last year we had the Gleaner rep out for a day trying to solve our issues. We had to get another brand combine with a McDon header to help cut our peas with our 76 with a 8200 header which works great in the peas. The Dynaflex refused to put the peas into the throat of the combine. It loved to wad them up and either throw them on over the header or wrap around the reel and have a couple wraps of vines going around and around on the reel.

We have solved some of those issues by converting the flip over reel to a non flipping reel which has helped tremendously. We also added the cross auger on the header which also helps keep the material moving. Our other issue was the hanging up on vines on the end of the header. The dynaflex is fixed and our 8200 header has the ends which are moveable to help keep the point on the ground. According to our dealer Gleaner was working on a moveable crop divider for the dynaflex header working something like the 8200 header that has been out for years and that we were going to get one to try out. Now we are harvesting the peas and the dividers haven't shown up and the dealer says Gleaner has been quiet for awhile on the project.

I'd like to either get some ideas from others how to solve the problem of keeping the crop divider grabbing the peas and making a big wad or hear from Gleaner what happened to the new dividers that they have been working on for a year?

I'll attach a couple pictures from today showing the left side over the cut swath and how far the tip is off the ground with a downturn behind that for the shoe that runs on the ground. The other picture shows the peas hanging up from catching underneath and then adding to the problem catching the vines up over the whole crop divider and getting the peas beat out of the vines. I would like to hear some constructive ideas to solve the problem or from Gleaner as to where the floating ends they were working on are so that we can try them out. The current setup makes harvesting peas very frustrating when they are beat out and left on the ground.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH dynaflex.JPG (1.87 MB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg RH dynaflex.JPG (1.18 MB, 117 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a dynaflex front, but don't grow peas. When we did grow peas we had a pea plucker false front on a case 1010 front that on the ends had a swivelling disc attachment that would run in the dirt and cut the vine - so I was wondering if you could attach something similar to each end of the dynaflex. Hope this makes sense

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I was having issues in soybeans pushing vines on each end of head. I fixed the problem by adding a looped row divider on each end like the macdon has. After that never looked back. Also with them on you don't have to worrie abought the points getting caught and pulled under, had that happen once also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glenw this is a little off topic but I know you have hills and I don't know how else to talk to you. I was wondering if you have been around the 2 speed hydrostats? We just installed one and I don't think it's gonna solve our problems climbing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I've never run a header in peas without the guide bar (not sure what you call it) that runs out in front from the divider. On our JD its curved out and up so the peas get pushed down under the divider and then cut off, yes a few get shelled but you get a clean cut. Never have had vines dragging behind.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Barn
I've been busy cutting peas so haven't really taken the time to respond again. Thanks for the ideas everyone. Rdhermann stepped up and made a couple different designs to try and they have really helped no thanks to Gleaner. Peas have been a blast to cut this year compared to last year when we couldn't get the dynaflex to perform at all even with the Agco rep there for a day and now I guess they didn't followup on the issue either.

Here is a picture of the cut line from Rdhermann's design.

Whatley Posse we have a two speed hydro on our 77. When it powers out in high and is shifted to low it takes off and goes well without having to worry about going to first gear. It also helps hold it back going back down the hills. If you have any questions I'll PM you my contact info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pea divider cut.JPG (1.11 MB, 107 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what did you guys change to make the difference. i'm getting geared up for peas in a couple weeks and some insight would be great.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
cit a piece of 1" round pipe 3 foot long, weld it under the point on the end of divider, let it come straight out in front abought 8" then gradually bend up to abought a 45 degree angle. That will push the unwanted material under neath the row divider instead of pushing like a bulldozer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
76 is right you are going to have to make it ride up over the peas to cut a trail or it will just dragg 76 half inch rodd would ge better than pipe 62 use that piece on top of your snout now and put it under the front of it and circle it up--------------dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 AM
John Force - Legend

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Looks like a awesome crop of peas.
I guess vertical knives are a bit costly and hard to mount?? Even just one end?
looks pretty good now with that last pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page