The Combine Forum banner

‘20 or later YM 50 series

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rod 
#1 ·
I’m just after a bit of feedback from anyone running 50 series machines with full automation installed.
Where the grain is returned to the return side of the clean grain elevator in these later models from the moisture/camera auger, there’s now a high wear area that was never a problem before.
Pictures will show you were ….. & the why it’s happening.
Its basically piss-poor engineering that’s caused this problem …… but I’d like to know if “I’m the only one” who’s found this problem.
Automotive tire Grey Road surface Style Asphalt

Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Wow. How many hours on this unit?
About 600 sep hours. It’s the tonnes that’s the import bit. This is a “chrome” 8250 that supposed to have everything as hard as a fifteen year old boy in the morning! This “add-on” piece is a very poor afterthought from engineering.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Yes, piss poor engineering but is it not also not a rice factor Rod?
Seems rice is really hard on components for wear so us non ricers are told.
Also, the high volume rice provides aids wear, while corn has the high volumes it is not as an abrasive a shape.
Definitely ****house lazy engineering in this specific area. “Chrome” versions have lots on chrome & HVOF areas, plus thicker heat treated augers, etc, etc, to massively reduce wear.
My 40 did over 50,000 tonne & never had a problem in the clean grain elevator. The engineers have manufactured a problem in the 50’s where there was none previously.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Rice is super abrasive for sure. I've found that the automated settings don't work to well here in rice. We end up with either a really trashy sample which isn't the end of the world or grain on the ground which is the end of the world in my book. The first 8010 combines in rice in our area went through cases of spray foam to patch holes. Apparently the self leveling shoe would get jammed when crossing a levy eat the side of the machine up. Those things were pretty worn out after the first year and 2500 acres. If you get any of the engineers with real field experience, and those folks are few and far between, they will tell you that the automated setting don't like green foliage crops like rice. Those holes look like they are screaming for a stainless steel patch.
That‘s interesting you’ve found that. I’ve found HarvestCommand & FeedRateControl works surprisingly well. For those of us who have years of experience harvesting rice, know full well the massive variability in moisture levels & total crop volume in any swath …… in the same paddock…… that keeps the best operator on their toes.
After a few tweaks to my “current settings” & a change in #2 module to a SunnyBrook “round” ... this 50 goes really well in HC & FRC. Obviously I don’t use FRC in lodged rice. That is just too exciting!

As stated, this is a “chrome” 8250 which has lots of chrome & HVOF in all the high load/wear areas …… & it works. No doubt about that. But this afterthought of where the grain returns into the return side of the clean grain elevator from the moisture/camera is not up to standard. Yes, 316 stainless or 400 Hardox is required here.
I feel certain Case will (eventually) decide it’s in their best interest to come up with a complete fix here. I’m just wondering if anyone else has this same issue …… & I’m not “the only one”. Apart from the other three chrome machines in this area!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.