The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This pic is harvest of second crop or ratoon crop usually harvested around Oct/Nov you can see more dust an cutting closer to the ground quiet nasty if it's a wet fall

·
Registered
722 Posts
All that the steel vendors who supply the combine manufacturers have to do is 'up' the hardness specifications for the steel and the wear rate will be reduced. But then the machinery will last longer= less frequent parts changing and less production turnover.
Why are parts chromed.......to make them harder so that they will wear longer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this pic 2188 is harvesting rice, the field in front was harvested about two weeks before an is greening up to produce a second crop, an yes rice is hard on a machine this 2188 has all the extended wear updates we keep on top of her cheaper than a new one,this one a 97 model harvested it's ninth crop in 05 that's including a first & second crop of rice every year & a bean crop!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Yes it is very hard on them. Rice is also one of my favorite grain foods and I eat whole grain [brown] rice a lot more than the white or polished rice so common in stores.

It's really too bad for all the excessive abrasive wear and tear on expensive combines, our rice growers are only getting such sorry prices for a crop that is so widely consumed in this country. Unlike other grains made into edible products, rice only needs to be milled to remove the outer hull or glume before being table-ready. Farmers need to receive at least HALF or more of what we pay in the stores for this wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:for a crop that is so widely consumed in this country.

It is widely consumed all over the world really. Take Japan, China and India they eat A LOT of rice. They eat it with nearly every meal and yet again the farmers do not get a lot of money for it

I believe it is the same rice that is used at meal times that is also used in rice puddings

God bless,

- Gordon

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:
To my friends from the north, This pic is from 04 harvest didn't get 05 off camera yet, these are of first crop harvest

Nice pictures, Rice Boy! The ground there looks
pretty flat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
98j this field we'er harvesting in the back ground that's some bin tops, this field 62ac. breaks into 8 sections, elevation drops 1ft per section, we do have some fields 100ac with only 4 sections that drop 6 inches pretty flat, land about 50miles north have fields [email protected] 0grade have a friend has 560ac field 0grade only levees there go to duck blind now thats flat!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:98j this field we'er harvesting in the back ground that's some bin tops, this field 62ac. breaks into 8 sections, elevation drops 1ft per section, we do have some fields 100ac with only 4 sections that drop 6 inches pretty flat, land about 50miles north have fields [email protected] 0grade have a friend has 560ac field 0grade only levees there go to duck blind now thats flat!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee Whiz Rice Boy, that's pretty darn flat. Ours is.....
well, it's not so flat. Here is a shot I took down near
Eightmile Creek & US 197....just west of a ridge that we
call " The Widowmaker".....in the upper right of the
frame, the 1670 will hit the leveler limit of 48%.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That farmland impresses me. Just to think that over the years, the blown topsoil built up to depths of several feet in areas to produce a great wheat growing region.
I remember standing at the top of Steptoe Butte in the centre of the Palouse in WA state and looking out over all the hills of wheat. Man it looked impressive.

It's time that someone came up with the idea of tilting cabs for Cat Challengers and also the wheeled tractors to make riding these hills more comfortable when cultivating and seeding.

Riding these hills for days on end would make one walk a bit lop sided for a while

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:That farmland impresses me. Just to think that over the years, the blown topsoil built up to depths of several feet in areas to produce a great wheat growing region.
I remember standing at the top of Steptoe Butte in the centre of the Palouse in WA state and looking out over all the hills of wheat. Man it looked impressive.

It's time that someone came up with the idea of tilting cabs for Cat Challengers and also the wheeled tractors to make riding these hills more comfortable when cultivating and seeding.

Riding these hills for days on end would make one walk a bit lop sided for a while

Well, someone did.....but it never caught on. I never
have seen one in the flesh, but I just happen to have
a snap of one that I downloaded from the net of a
Knudson at work up in the Palouse

·
Registered
722 Posts
Now we are talking about some serious machinery to tame those hills....a hillside Knudson. That animal looks like it should be pulling about a 150' chisel plough.

The implement being pulled should be matched to the HP of the tractor. Many times I notice that the implement is too small and HP is being wasted which results in too many passes over the field.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:
This pic is harvest of second crop or ratoon crop usually harvested around Oct/Nov you can see more dust an cutting closer to the ground quiet nasty if it's a wet fall

OK, Rice Boy....I'am intrigued by this 'ratoon' crop. You
take off the first crop when?? And then the ratoon in
Oct/Nov...what happens in between?? Any additional
inputs ?? Any chance that you can keep the existence
of this 'ratoon' from the Bank & the IRS?? A little mad
money perhaps?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok 98j, your wrong but I like the way you think! We try to plant here around the 15 of march that will put the harvest of the first crop around 15-18 of July rule of thumb is if you can harvest on or before the 10 of august your chances are good to produce a good 2nd or ratoon crop, as soon as the first crop is harvested usually if no rain a light flood is established an wait for some growth to appeare better from around the roots then 100-150# of 45% is flown over the top that's about it, we are useing a flail mower after harvest to cut stuble about 10" high this seems to let more sunlight and produces a better ratoon crop but it does retard the maturety by about 10days or more anything harvested after August the 10 we don't flail, as far as a cash crop no every thing is sold to the mill an paid by check!! Oh I know what yor thinking why flail mow when you could cut it with the combine well these machines have a mouth full just cutting the plant just bellow the heads you would need a lot more horses! hope this help some?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:Ok 98j, your wrong but I like the way you think! We try to plant here around the 15 of march that will put the harvest of the first crop around 15-18 of July rule of thumb is if you can harvest on or before the 10 of august your chances are good to produce a good 2nd or ratoon crop, as soon as the first crop is harvested usually if no rain a light flood is established an wait for some growth to appeare better from around the roots then 100-150# of 45% is flown over the top that's about it, we are useing a flail mower after harvest to cut stuble about 10" high this seems to let more sunlight and produces a better ratoon crop but it does retard the maturety by about 10days or more anything harvested after August the 10 we don't flail, as far as a cash crop no every thing is sold to the mill an paid by check!! Oh I know what yor thinking why flail mow when you could cut it with the combine well these machines have a mouth full just cutting the plant just bellow the heads you would need a lot more horses! hope this help some?

Cool! The only thing I know about rice is how to eat
it. So, this being the 24th, then you are all planted. Or
have you been spending too much time answering d**n
fool questions from whack jobs in Oregon? Fly all the
seed on? How do the yields compare between your
first crop and the ratoon crop? Quality about the same?
Got any money on LSU in the tourney?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
D#$%%m good thing I'm answering your question or I'd have some rice planted like these fools here! It was 39degrees this morning an Sat morning their calling for 37 with a good chance of frost farmers that had rice planted are hurrying to flood over small rice to keep the frost off we'll plant our first rice Monday by plane start drilling rice by April, Hay thanks for helping me drag my feet on this rice planting probably saved me a replant???????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts