The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we farm north of the border and just finished this last week, covered around 5000acres, with about a thousand ares left this month as custom...

my brother runs a 9750sts... and i have a 2388... we have always combined together over the years...

we both run 36' draper headers cutting about 10 different crops in total.... a Deere and a honeybee headers

crops went from anywhere of 60 bus to 15 depending on crops and area and hail

this is my second year with the afx rotor and his third year with the Deere

well i can finally say the afx has the advantage in most if not all crops over the Deere....

most think the power difference would of gave the deere the advantage being over 45hp more

now how i do it!!

i went and turned the fuel nut in two turns on the Bosch pump, then disconnected the waste gate (hose from the actuator), less than 10 minutes work and what a difference in power and performance over stock!!

before i did any of these changes two years ago i combined a few acres with a boost gauge connected to see the maximum boost it would aquire... i seen a max of 20.5lbs.... it now will max at 30.5lbs and no smoke at all, anytime other than startup with no delay for quick power times

on wheat we can run very close, with the slight advantage to the afx running between 6-7mph in 50bu/ac (28acres/hr)

i have a buddy that runs a stock 06 2388 and our two machines got together for a few hrs, i can honestly say the 2388 frame and separator can handle another 50hp with out problems

anyone here to guess the hp difference from 20 to 30lbs boost

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to mention i ran a 2188 and a (1998)2388 standard rotor leading up to the last two years... till i got the afx i can honestly say i had a hard time keep up to him running a 30' auger header, and he was running the 36' header.... so he had the distink advantage

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
A draper head would always beat an auger head thou...

but sounds like your getting along good and yeah i like the new rotor.

We bought 2 36ft draper heads and we have stock 2388's and i was really impressed with the difference it makes.

Were very happy with them.

hope you are as well

2588 should be here soon..im looking fwd to the color monitor.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you increased the boost 10 psi you added ALOT of hp. I always thaught that 1/2 turn was 10 %, 2 full turns is a huge increase. I would bet you have added nearly 100 hp, 75 at LEAST.
You will have a fair bit more power than a 9750 now im sure.
Were the crops and conditions you were in power limiting?
What would happen if the 9750 was chipped, would the situation reverse again?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as for crop conditions we ran into a few weeks of real hard cutting, where both machines ran as hard as they could, this is where the afx rotor shined the most...

have a slight feeling the deere is turned up as well, slight smoke while hard cutting, but he will never tell me that, it does work very well

also found the hydo on the case to have a slight advantage over the deere.... we have some real serious hills that the case was the only one that went over... deere got stuck going over

i will be installing a pyro this week just to see where i am at, i have been told it should be still well with in limits...but never know

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find that interesting that your grain seperation system can handle another 50 horse. We been having trouble pushing grain out the rotor and possibly some off the chaffer in winter wheat running a 30 Ft. auger head going 3.5 mph give or take. We are using small wire concaves and smooth slotted grates with a standard rotor. Rotor speed is about 950 - 980 and fan speed is about 1050- 1070. Top sieve is at a half inch and shoe sieve is at about a quarter inch. Need some Ideas!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wonder how that cummins engine took those extra exhaust temps. When you start messing with adding fuel ya just add heat. Ive buried the pyro on my 7110 with an 8.3 cummins with 1 1/2 turns when I was just doing some testing in a heavy tillage during the summer a few years back. It pulled it, but that pyro skated on 1200 most of the time.

Gotta love these old threads that were left unanswered.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, just seen this old post, those were the days...brother now runs two 9230s

The cummins 8.3 liter is a stout motor to say the least, I don't have the combine anymore, but bet its still chugging away, and good on fuel

From what I remember gets where never in the 1200f Or above, also had the electronic 8.3 chipped to **** and cut 36 feet with out issue

·
Registered
30 Posts
I turned my 2388 up when it had 200 rotor hours on it. It kept the rotor rpms from varying through the field which gave me a cleaner sample and almost zero grain loss. I hired a 9660 to cut with me on some high yielding wheat. He said I was running off and leaving him. I traded it off with 1000 rotor hours. At 1100 hours the spline on the hydro output stripped. I replaced the rotor drive box at 600 hours cutting green beans. The extra power was amazing but I could see the strain it was putting on the machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts