The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 9760 last year but did corn with our old machine. Thinking about a 612c chopping head but heard of lots of problems with variable speed feeder house gear box. Is this due to going too fast or should I not consider the chopping head. Really don't want to burn that gear box up (looks expensive as ****).

·
Administrator
723 Posts
Are you talking a stalkmaster head or just a 612C with knife rolls?

If you have the VS Hi Torque reverser with the cooler, you should probably be okay, just make sure to check the oil level regularly and change it if it shows any signs of wear.

·
Administrator
723 Posts
It would probably come down to variances in varieties, moisture, travel speed, etc... if you ran the head as slow as possible all the time and didn't push it too hard I would suspect you could get by with it. I wouldn't want to push it too hard if the conditions were less than ideal or if you had the head running above 600

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can tell you for sure you will have issues with the feeder house drive, you need to know what drive you accually have on the combine, there are three different drive systems, standard, Heavy duty and high torque, can the issue be fixed, yes. Direct drive solves the issue of belt slippage. When you put direct drive on your feeder house will run at 520rpm, you can resprocket the corn head to run the correct speed and everything works just fine. Always keep an eye on your reverser oil, like MR Ryan said if you see anything wrong with the oil CHANGE IT. The gearbox is a mear $4-5000 to repair or replace, so keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We ran a 8 row chopping head with the HD drive (not the new heavier one) and things could get hot in some varieties.
Knowing what I know now, I would add a second cooler ( cheap and easy) and add a temp sensor.
If you keep things cool it will live a long happy life. Trouble is you will bet into some conditions that will heat things up and cook things before you realize it.
The temp sensor will ensure you do not over do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts