The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at trading our 2001 2388 in for a new 2377. There is $5500.00 difference between the 05 carryover vs. a 06, that would have to be ordered. If we run this machine for 5 years @ approx 250 hours / year, how much more would the 06 vs. the 05 be worth on a trade? Also, would the 06 with the electronic fuel injection on the be a great advantage? Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well since the 06 has the electronic fuel injection, you can't just turn a screw to get more HP out of it. It might be worth considering buying the 05, for less money, and bumping up the HP. I've heard on here of several guys that bought 05 2377s with the intent of bumping up the HP, since that would no longer be an option on the 06s.

The new engine: Plus side is you can sleep better at night since you'll be putting less pollution into the air. The down side to that is that I believe it takes more fuel to get that cleaner burn.

Aside from the new engine, I'm not sure if anything has changed from the 05s to the 06s.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Let me know how that turns out for you. I figured the government would be all over the engine mfg to get that chip locked down so the owner can't modify it.

Did both the 2377 and 2388 get a stronger rotor gear box for the 2006 model year, or was it just the 2388s. I heard they had some problems with the rotor gear boxes on the 05s.

-Lance

·
Registered
109 Posts
Saw my first 06 2377 today @ local dealer in Ontario, never had time to grab the key to unlock the cab but could see the little orange preheat light on left side of the steering wheel. I don't know if it preheats the fuel or what? there is a solenoid on the intake manifold with atleast 5 wires. to the manifold and to the fuel line. Any one know of any other changes other than electronic pump and heavy duty gear box?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That light is connected to the grid heater, the same solenoid you saw on the intake manifold. It heats this manifold, essentially doing the same job as glow plugs, only with much better results. Most engines out there these days are equipped with this, the Dodge pickups with Cummins, tractors, combines, whatever. One thing to keep in mind, if the engine has a grid heater on it, do NOT spray any ether in it to help get it going.

As for other differences, you pretty well summed it up, though there is more to the engine changes then just the pump.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The HD gearbox is probably a good idea, but unless you are really hard on your combine, we really haven't had to much problems with them. I have personally pulled about 3-4 of them out of the combines around the shop and either rebuilt them or replaced them. But, for the number of combines that are out there, we really haven't had that much problems with them. This is just in wheat and rye country though, no corn or beans!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Parksy: 290hp (boost) when unloading, field tracker frame improved on feeder face, rotor belt and gearbox change, changes to the rotary screen, alternator, muffler, unload auger tube. You can get windshield washer kit and combine is pre wired for an auto-lube package of some sort (grease type) I think. Oh yah and the hyd reservoir bubbles are gone and a sight gauge installed, finally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts