The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor is running with a 16-22" corn head (30 foot).

Has a hard time running over 4mph in 170 bu corn without throwing 14% moisture corn out the back..........

He says in the heat of the day (70 degrees lately) its the worst.

He changes to long toothed sieves in corn.

Figured you guys here would know what the problem is (if its correctable?), local dealer can't help.

Maybe crusty can help?

He thanks you in advance.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Is it blowing out or running over the sieve? Could be not enough air or to much air.
I have opened the sieves top and bottom a notch or two and got more air to flow and actually gotten a cleaner tank. We tried closing them to clean better and ran corn over and had a dirty sample. Open the sieves a couple of clicks and see if it will help keep the chaff suspended and up off the cleaning area so the golden corn can fall in.

Also are you sure it is coming from the back of the machine? It could be head loss if the deck plates and head speed are not set correctly. I have customers that run their heads way to fast in my opinion, I like to see the ear hit about 2/3 up the deck plates. If the head is running to fast they will hit on the front 1/2 and splatter corn all over the ground. You will see ears in the cross auger with part of the kernels gone, you will have some but not very many.

Do a kill stall, get the machine running at full capacity and ground speed and just shut off the key. I know it is a little hard on some things but it is the only way to see how the crop is distributed on the cleaning shoe and sieves. I don't know if the Deere has distribution or deflector plates under the rotor to even out the crop on the shoe but this will tell you how the grain is being distributed. Then you can adjust things from there. The machine may be completely full on the right hand side and nearly empty on the left. Adjust the distribution or deflector plates to even the crop out on the cleaning shoe.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Header loss can also come from stripper plates set to wide. And this will often be worse in the heat of the day when the corn shells easiest. I have hydraulic stripper plates, and will tighten them until I see occasional stalks in the header.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
What are the sieves set on. You might want to check the actual settings of the sieves. We had alot of problems with touchset adjust not being what it says it is. (Usually alot tighter than what the reading said.

But we have a lot more rotor loss than anything.

What concaves do you have installed?

B575, you should let him run your combine for day

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shout fella's, will have to get back to ya on some of the questions here.

Header loss isn't the problem.

My buddy has run two 9650's, traded for two 9660's and last year traded em both in on a 9860.......So he knows the machine.

He can only run the sieves wide open to get any capacity. Its definately comming out the back, around here we drive old pickups behind the spreader to listen for dings, his loss monitor is telling him its comming out the back.

Harsh, good idear on the deflector plates.

Alex, Ill ask him if he's heard about this 70 series chaffer ext.

Lex man 575, no idear what concaves are in, will ask. He's been in our old 470 lex on tracks..........There's nuthin but green flowing through this guys veins.

For those who run 9860's with 30' corn heads: What ground speed are you running at (15-17% moisture, and 170-200 bu corn), and are you happy with the sample?

Thanks againd guys

·
Registered
148 Posts
We ran a 9860 last year with a 12row 30inch chopping corn head and it would run out of capacity about the same time as power. We could drive about 4.2mph in 180 bu corn at 18% moister and if we could go any faster the clean grain elevator would get over full. The grain tank sample was always very good though. With our 9870 this year with the same corn head and it starts running out the back at about 6 mph in 180 bushel corn and the grain tank sample is excellent. The only thing that will make your buddy really happy is a 9870.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Brian,

We ran all day in a field, same conditions (corn was 15.5%) yield was about 180 bu/ac. Sample looked okay, few broken cobs here and there. Here is our settings on a 9760 running a 12-30 head. (Non chopping)

Rotor, 360
Concave clearance, 24
Fan, 1110
Top sieve, 16
Bottom sieve, 12
This one has the round bar concave and tall, deep tooth chaffer.
We ran about 5-5.5 all day, 3000 bu/hr according to the loads I'd dump with the grain cart.

Crows corn, some of the better stuff we've had this fall. Helps when it rains though! Adj deck plates set tight, we've seen quite a bit of corn and beans sprouting with all the rain and hot weather here.

p.s. I sent an email about a week ago, did Yahoo! dump it into your junk folder? I've had that happen to me before. (Including one sent from me out of my primary email account!?)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Collegeboy,
Check your PM.

PS: Well Ill be, a class 7 JD is actually keeping up with a "class 7" lexion!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah B757 how is your parts and service

I bet you have every parts number handy by now don't you?

U probably actually don't know what they call the part... its just

A2345

Hope your harvest went good..

our 2588 had no issues just a few lines get lose on me.. and the 3rd season 2388 ran like a charm.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off topic, but here goes on the lex.

In our area we have great mechanics in relation to problems on our 89 and 8670 FNH tractors. Great mechanics in relation to problems on our 500stx quad, and 05 2388. Geat mechanics in relation to our Jd 6000 and a few smaller JD stuff...........But in all honesty.......none of them beat Paul Sanders with Zeigler! That guy just knows whats going on, from priority's (he keeps machines rolling infront of yeild monitor problems), to dollars spent (I don't understand why people think that truck on the yard is so spendy, just look at the total bill compared to the alternative), it just hasn't been better.

As for parts, only problem we had with Zeigler on Lexion is a shaft broke last fall in middle of soy harvest. Closest new shaft was Rochester (3 hours away). NOT GOOD. Lost a day. Up and running next day as dew went of the beans. Yup, we were pisssssssss ed. 2 days later a 585 showed up early morning with a 40' bean head, salesman made a couple rounds with us, said sorry we slipped on the shaft deal, Ill pick the 585 up tommarow..........We put 12 hours on it. BTW: We beleive the shaft broke due to rock issues we encountered with navies, Rocks just dont go in the trap when everything is running on slowest speed, or sumthin
We could drive 1 mph faster with the 585-40' maxflex than our 575 f30. Put in a good day at 420 acres on 3 different feilds running 3 bines.

Casefarmer: No, I don't have numbers memorized, thats what books are for, and BTW: we get the right parts everytime, unlike our "other" equipment dealers (thanks for ass-u-ming).

Ive heard horror story's of other lexion dealerships around the country, we wouldn't run yellow if this were the case around here. Local red and green are good too, but they don't have Paul Sanders with his majestic truck of skill!

Thanks for the 9860 hints fellers, gave the list to neighbor, he runs his rotor slower than college boy, and has never heard of the 70 series bolt on dealy (is that real, or is Alex just pullin my chain?). Though a dead stop might be a good idear also.

This is a great sight!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hay We've been having that problem as well, or so we thought, until we plugged a row on our header and had to stop in a hurry. Had to get off and unplug and heard corn bouncing off of something looked and found that stopping that fast threw corn into the fan. Also found corn was getting thrown in the fan as we went over terraces. JD got us a kit that just covered the front of the sieve (which didn't do the job) got any suggestion??

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also put the covers on the front of the pre cleaner chaffer this year as I could get corn coming out the fan. I decided to test this so I had was running the combine as full as I could get it (about 34-3500 bu/hr) with an 8 row head in 230 bu corn and stopped hard. All you have to do is back up and look at the ground. Last year if I tried this I would see corn on the ground, this year...nothing.
My stettings are almost exactly the same as collegeboy's in corn and things are going good. We shipped 650 tonne (25 500 bu wet) in a 10 hour period, which included headlands and waiting a bit for trucks, so yea...it will do it.
This was also with a harvestec header that chops the stalks, I should post some pics, the field looks awesome.
The machine needed 550 litres of fuel after combining 25 500 bu and chopping stalks...i was pleased with the consumption of fuel. This equates to 175bu/ US gal which includes stalk chopping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts