The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I thought I'd come in and introduce myself a little bit by showing some pics of the kit we use on Silverton (the property seen in these pics). These Pictures are from Last Year's Sorghum Harvest. Some of them arn't great but, its worth a look ( I think so atleast lol)

This first Image is of the CTSII we use, It's seen sitting a day before it was sent out into the paddock. The Sorghum in the comb is from when we were doing Moisture tests.

This is a Shot from Inside the Cab while harvesting - The Paddock is the connoly paddock, that paddock is one to be careful in. Hidden dangers are everywere.

Coming in to unload

Snap, unloading!

Front on view

Turning back into the rows

Near the end of a row

Sunset Unloading

The T950 - Hard as nails rig.

Full Grain tank

Sunset Unloading from another angle

Photo Credz go to my cuz Jarrod!

I'll be heading back up there for the Wheat Harvest this year. so hopefully I can produce more pictures then!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice pictures! Are they taken in Australia?

What is sorghum used for? Please excuse my ignorance for not knowing, but we dont grow that crop in Denmark or europe (atleast i dont think so!)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is from a Property in Central Queensland in Terra Australis.

The Sorghum on Silverton (this property) is mainly sold to feed lots and cattle farmers. But some of it go to the Grain board wich disperse it from there.

Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
486 Posts
So its main appliance is for feeding animals? For wich reason is it desired to use it in a feed mix? Protein, starch or something else?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really sure, all I know is that the main buyer of the stuff from the property is for animal feed.

I could find out what is used for if you want, I think its also in some foods, I'm not really sure, details are kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I dug around in Wikipedia for info about its uses.

This is what I got:

Numerous Sorghum species are used for food (as grain and in sorghum syrup or "sorghum molasses"), fodder, and the production of alcoholic beverages. Most species are drought tolerant and heat tolerant and are especially important in arid regions. They form an important component of pastures in many tropical regions. Sorghum species are an important food crop in Africa, Central America, and South Asia and is the "fifth most important cereal crop grown in the world" . African slaves introduced sorghum into the U.S. in the early 17th century.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It's a starch based crop, like corn, it can be used in the ethanol biofuels industry, cattle feeds, you can actually pop milo like popcorn and it's pretty good....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote:It's a starch based crop, like corn, it can be used in the ethanol biofuels industry, cattle feeds, you can actually pop milo like popcorn and it's pretty good....

Well that was definitly an interresting and usefull tip. Thanks alot!

Any preperations needed in order to make a bowl of "pop-milo"

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote:It's a starch based crop, like corn, it can be used in the ethanol biofuels industry, cattle feeds, you can actually pop milo like popcorn and it's pretty good....

Actually, while "popping sorghum" is edible and tasty, it is still quite just a novelty. However, while North America, much of Europe and Australia use the sorghum largely as stock feed, many people in Africa, and Indonesia value the grain sorghums as a chief food/cereal crop. It is just as much a staple there in those countries where it was originaly from and native to, in the first place.

Actually, except for high oil, grain sorghum has much the same biochemistry as corn does--and was proven by a farmer in Scott City, KS just how well it could finish hogs as any corn, thus he began what became a very large and lucrative business producing sorghum-fed hogs.

Brickwalker, those are fantastic photos of your header, too. I especially love the top one. Such a beautiful machine! Take good care of her!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gee... what spacing did you plant on? Looks like 40-50" :-O Most milo (Sorghum) here is planted on 30", and sometimes 15".

Thanks for the pics,

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that was the spacing, I'm not sure on the details, I wasnt there when it was planted. I'll find out for you if you wish.

·
Registered
664 Posts
we plant our milo on 30 inch spacing, and noone else does. i sure hope we can make a 100 bushel acre average this year. we need some more income to cover some extra costs........

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cant see why you couldt use a corn head, but most people prefer to use the regular batreel setup.

And thanks for the words Caseihfan, it does well, just chews the juice though

1 - 20 of 31 Posts