The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
It think what you are referring to is that Deere removed the top drive sprocket stripper plates for the feeder chain drive in the 07 models likely as a cost cutting measure. Units in damp/tough harvest conditions have experienced more problems as material would wrap on the top shaft. Customer has to now install a kit which use to be standard equipment.
Case tried the same thing with the first 8010's in 2004 if you remember and it lasted one year and they were standard again in 2005.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Quote:It think what you are referring to is that Deere removed the top drive sprocket stripper plates for the feeder chain drive in the 07 models likely as a cost cutting measure. Units in damp/tough harvest conditions have experienced more problems as material would wrap on the top shaft. Customer has to now install a kit which use to be standard equipment.
Case tried the same thing with the first 8010's in 2004 if you remember and it lasted one year and they were standard again in 2005.

Didn't know about the stripper plates but did know about the crop guides in front of the drum, or lack of them. Doesn't work in our crops especially tough barley straw, will end up wrapping on top shaft throwing feeder chain out of time.

Quote:

[

Like you see on this picture. I realize it's at the feeder drum right, as your looking at it, but this can lead to top shaft chain jumping problems.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Have to agree with someone on this post because every morning after the flax run we reset the feeder chains that have jumped a cog, they jumped about half way through the day but just let them run after a while. Flax would wrap a bit around top shaft but not as bad as I've seen it. Dealer was installing plates on headers to bring crop in to center more but we never got them put on.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
O flax, the great tester of things that may wrap. To get technical on you glensts, the plates you refer to, if you mean the Deere kit, mount on the feeder face plate, not the header and it makes it well...well just like it used to be. How's that for a progressive move?

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Just like the green boys, they wanted to sell another kit to you that should be standard equipment to make the machine work like it is supposed to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Quote:Just like the green boys, they wanted to sell another kit to you that should be standard equipment to make the machine work like it is supposed to.
Hey, I just want to help out deere anyway I can.

On a serious note, it will probably be back on next year I would guess.
I suppose the theory was you get better feeding, and in alot of cases this is true, but you only hear about the negatives in a case like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
The crop guides they did away with were a huge problem for us running beans. You couldn't go one round without the chain either jumping or bouncing up and down.

That said, they have came out and replaced them, they have to shorten the arms on the drum in the process as well. No ideal why they do away with those, or why it took them so long to do something about it. This started in 06 as I've read many complaints and yet they even started the 70 series without correcting it. They are supposed to start putting them back on at the factory for next year.

It made a huge difference in the performance just putting those two little shields back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Quote:O flax, the great tester of things that may wrap. To get technical on you glensts, the plates you refer to, if you mean the Deere kit, mount on the feeder face plate, not the header and it makes it well...well just like it used to be. How's that for a progressive move?

Don


Correct Don, they were on the feeder house, and they will be on next years combine before it leaves the dealers even if it isn't factory. Yep, another stupid idea.
I do like the plastic dust cover though as it doesn't get bent up when the canola plugs in between the auger and feederchain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Does someone have a picture of these crop guides on so I can see what they look like? Just switched to Deere and I want to check if my machine has them or not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Quote:Does someone have a picture of these crop guides on so I can see what they look like? Just switched to Deere and I want to check if my machine has them or not.
Look at the picture up 8 posts in the thread , that's with nothing if you have the crop guides you wouldn't be able to see outside of the feeder chain. Also if you have the wider, deeper, serrated black slats you won't have crop guides unless someone added them after the manufacturing fact. Sounds like they be back according to the other guys here, hopefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Quote:Does someone have a picture of these crop guides on so I can see what they look like? Just switched to Deere and I want to check if my machine has them or not.

The picture in Don's post is an example of the one's having trouble, if your's looks like his then you need this kit...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
I lied... we had trouble with very dry wheat straw building up on the sides of the draper headers center drum and plugging the center belt up and stopping the feeding. That's the only real feeding problem I had. More so with the draper than the feederhouse.

Although I did notice some buildup on the feederdrum sides when we took the heads off to move but not too awful bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Alex if you ever combine flax straw and the chain is jumping a cog, it means every day we have to loosen and retighten the chain, flax will wrap around the sprocket and its teeth, if the chain is too tight it tries to send it into the accelerator.
Alex you have got to come up north and play with the combines in the snow and the fun crops.LOL
The easiest combining I've done was from OK to SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Quote:easiest way to fix a chain thats jumped is open the bottom plate then you can put a 1/2 short extension in the cog where chain jumped then rotate till it jumps back in place.


Do you have to loosen of the feeder chain or can it be done if it is still tight? wish I would have known this before, would save a lot of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Quote:Does someone have a picture of these crop guides on so I can see what they look like? Just switched to Deere and I want to check if my machine has them or not.

that how they look like



we had lots of problems in heavy canola swath
but all we had to do was putting the shields on
,we did not even bring the drum back as jd
wants and it worked just fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Quote:Deere has a chain connector that has nuts that hold it togerther not the s clips now. Like what Alex said.


and thats the chain connector on a 70 series


 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top