The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to the forum but long time reader. I have an 07' 8010. A neighbor of mine also has an 07' model 8010. My question is he had thermostats sticking open so he replaced them and found sand in the coolant. He said he was told this was a problem on 06 and 07s. Anyone else heard of this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had the same problem in an 04 8010 and I think I may have the same problem on my 9120. The motor heats up, but it you stop it will cool down in a few minutes and then may run normal for hours or days before it acts up again. The thermostat seems to only open part way and then stick. It seems if I let the motor cool down the thermostat closes and then is able to operate normally for a while before it sticks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the best way to correct this? Flush cooling system and install some type of a coolant filter. And if I do install a coolant filter, do I use a filter that only filters, or one that adds conditioner?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I'd install the one with the conditioner. Too much is probably better than not enough.

Better to find a bit of casting sand in there, than a bunch of engine oil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two or three years ago my brother worked for the local CIH dealer and spent several days at the factory in Grand Island flushing the blocks on the Iveco motors he said they did not get all of the casting sand out when they were built.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tell your brother that he missed some in my 07 8010. I think the problem really came to light this year with the late colder harvest. They replaced my thermostat..........it lasted about 3 hours then it was hit or miss as to if it would close again. In my opinion it is a WASTE of time and money to just put a new thermostat in these machines. Got kind of cold in the cab finishing up corn at the end. I'm sure it's hard on the engine running cold coolant all the time and I know it doesn't help in fuel use. I'm really surprised they don't have a engine alarm code that goes off for cold engine, they have a warning for everything else.
I know of at least one other 07 8010 that has the same problems and a 06 that is doing it too.

That couldn't have been cheap hiring people to flush engines at Grand Island.

What's a new Iveco engine cost anyway? 20,000 bucks? On a side note, I've always thought Iveco really lays low when there's an issue with their motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem is casting sand from the factory, the proper way to clean it out is to flush the entire system with a large water pump. We have a tool we made up at our shop to flush the engine and rad. Good idea to hook up a water filter in the system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Faught all harvest here with an O8 8010. Replaced thermostat and housing 3 times and i dont know how many times they flused it but no change. Put it in the shed that way and traded it for an 09.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
stickeye, thought it was fixed, knew you were having problems, guess wizard can't cure all , will give you a call, scott.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey scott, no it never was completely resolved. Told Warren about it so he knew we were trading and they are going to try to get it fixed before it goes down the line. Longest it ever worked right was maybe half a day in canola in november.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don, showing his clever side and....turning into the comedian on here.....you guys really are pretty funny over on the NH page.
:~)

One of the reasons I'll probably trade my 07 is because of the problems I've had with the casting sand. I don't know what the solution is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts