The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DeWalt 1/2" impact that's been great and I'm wanting to know about the 3/4" electric impact. How much more torque does the 3/4" have vs. the 1/2"? I've seen a Milwaukee for around $350 and thought that wasn't to much $$ if its a good one.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I've only used the Makita 1/2 electric units, from the original aluminum body model from years ago to the model TW0350 which only puts out 258 ft/lbs and most of their use was for putting grain bins together or changing cultivator shovels. Your Dewalt puts out 345 ft/lb and as I looked at a few brands online just now of 3/4 drive, it seems to range between 380 to 434 ft/lb .

I know someone will bring this question up so I might as well since for whatever reason most electric impacts don't put out that much power and technology has advanced so much with both air and battery powered impact tools, are these an option instead ?.

If power for larger bolts is what your after, air still rules if its available in enough volume and pressure but the problem with air is working on anything beyond the shop unless one has a beefy gas drive compressor on a truck or trailer. The nice part about an air tool is that they usually have a few power level settings on the tool and also can adjust a regulator in the line and depending on the tool the trigger can tease the socket vs the ON/OFF of electric tools.

Battery powered tools have leaped ahead in ability due to the batteries they use now and 700 ft/lb out of the 1/2 drive Milwaukee and the big advantage is your not tethered to a cord or air hose and can be anywhere ... as long as you have battery power or spares.

I still suspect that electric impact tools will be around for a long time as plugging into an outlet or a small generator and can work the crap out of that impact day in and day out putting grain bins and other structures together. My Makita, it only uses 3.5 amps, the most piddly generator can run that thing.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I assume D&M means 120 volt electric but he can clarify that.

As to the battery operated units though as you pointed out Bigswhoosher, that is utterly amazing a 1/2 drive of any description, never mind a battery operated unit is capable of twisting of a 3/4 bolt ... unreal.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I bought both a 1/2 and 3/4 Milwaukee cordless impacts, the 3/4 is way more powerful, it was pretty expensive... But it's literally mind blowing how strong this thing is... Also I have a dewalt 1/2 electric, that collects dust now..

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Iambear, I was surprised you experienced such a difference between the two models you have and wondered if maybe your 1/2 drive is a step down from their current most powerful one since they seem to have a variety of 1/2 drive units and each one a little different then the next.

I believe this is the most powerful 1/2 drive unit

18-volt half inch fuel High Torque Impact Wrench w/ Friction Ring Kit | Milwaukee Tool

Heres the high powered 3/4 drive one as they have at least two different models of those I see.

18-volt FUELâ„¢ 3/4" High-Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit | Milwaukee Tool

Aside from that nut busting torque figure, the maximum on the 1/2 is 700 ft/lb and 750 for the 3/4 drive. Of course whats on paper and reality may be different but anyway I was curious to hear if your two models are the same as what I put the links down for.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Those are the ones I have, the difference is very noticeable, I was changing tires on my tandem and I was using the 3/4 impact, it would only turn the nuts about a 1/2 turn then stop.. I was kind of disappointed and was telling my Dad about it, he reminded me that those nuts are backwards threaded.. That wrench was actually tightening the lug nuts! I haven't found anything yet it won't undo. It's a lot heavier than the 1/2 but it gets used lots when the 1/2" won't do it. I highly recommend not spending money on corded electric and start collecting the Milwaukee fuel tools.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I have a 1/2 inch Milwaukee fuel impact and what a impressive tool. It has way more power than my heavy duty 1/2 air impact. The only complaint I have is I wish it had several torque settings like my air impact. The battery life is great.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Agreed. We have the M18 FUEL units.

When putting openers on this spring I actually cracked cast openers... right before the bolt snapped.

Even the half inch will undo semi lug nuts.

2 batteries will change all the openers on a 60ft drill and you can change a tire or two after with it yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.