The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would buy 9120 and then if it didn't look like you could get it done hire someone for a few acres

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
How would we know? What crops do you grow, where do you farm, how long is your harvest window? One 9120 should be enough for that many acres if you can spread things out a bit and you run an efficient operation. Dumping on the go, big headers, just no bottlenecks.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I currently have an 2005 - 8010 and an 2006 - 8010, I have plenty of capacity but was wondering if i could get away with 2 7088's from machinery link or buying one 9120. Need help! It's all about the bottom line.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah a 9120 and able to rent one for beans would be good... if not get two 7088's u will get done faster than with one combine.. im assumeing u have beans..
do u have draper heads?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it`s all about the bottom line then keep the 8010`s they`re not that old. The 7088`s look good but the price is not far from `10 and `20 range and you`re right back to using rotor belts again, 5000 plus acres for one machine is alot if the weather goes sour, as many large farmers found out in the upper midwest in`08

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would go with two machines. The 9120 may be enough in corn but I think another machine would pay off in beans. Also any breakdowns would kill you if you ran just the 9120. I love case as much as anyone here but every machine breaks down. A major breakdown would be costly. With that many acres a second combine is more about the insurance of having a backup and being able to run when the conditions allow than the total capacity IMO. Why not keep one 8010 and rent another combine for beans?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i kinda agree with redfarmer but a lot of that also comes back to your dealer and how well they work with you. with the shear capacity of the 9120 and a cart to me it is a no brainer....

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Thanks guys, sorry for the lack of info. I grow mainly hard red wheat and canola, some peas. I farm in northern alberta so my harvest window could be short or long! I was just checking to see if there was anyone out there with similar acres and crops that run one 9120. I have a really good dealer so parts are a non issue.

thanks

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We run 14000 and only two 590's but we are able to grow more long season crops that spread out the harvest. I would think peas are the crop that will force you to buy two machines. I've seen guys spend days in a quarter section. Depending on the how good your crops are out there I would expect around 250 acres a day if it keeps running. Keep in mind your buying a machine that has only limited testing done with it and there may be problems that they don't have addressed yet or even know about for that matter. We demo'd one and had severe feederhouse issues in heavy spring wheat. Maybe they'll have that fixed maybe they won't. We chickened out buying 9120's for these reasons. When your pushing your acre limits so hard it's not a great idea to be a guinee pig. If one combine is the way you want to go maybe you'd be better off to wait one more year when the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Good point about the possibility of a machine being down in the field. At least if you start with two combines, you're still able to cut. I take it that labor isn't an issue for you? I know to a lot of my customers, they look at scaling back in the number of machines but going up in capacity, based on manpower availability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts