The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out today of a local farmer who talked about his class 8 combine cuts right along side his class 6 combine with 36ft draper heads...

the difference was .5 mph...in speed..towards the class 8 combine.

Now i know there's been a big push from dealers (any brand) saying you can do more with one than 2

I know im a young dumb kid but

If a guy has a class 6 combine or two....with 36ft drapers.....

Then why would you go and spend a crap load of money for a bigger combine when in good beans you can take up that swath at...4.0....4.5 or even 5.0 mph?

I get if you are wanting to go with a 12 row head....thats asking alot of a class 6 combine.

Yet you also have to factor in more changes you need to make to handle what else happens thanks to that bigger head..

i really hate when i read this combine outdoes 2 other combines

Usually its a smaller combine on a old beat up grain head and they act surprised later on that a larger combine with a brand new head does more.

I do believe 2 class 8's could do more than 2 class 6's...

But your changing things alot then and good luck on getting the corn to ur two personall elevators that you own

im not talking about custom harvesters....im just talking about farmers..

Am i off base here and missing something?

I sure love these sites but i do get a laugh at times.

Have a good day and hope your havest went well

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Keep in mind that if you can go from 2 combines to 1, then you have one operator free to do something else like run trucks, etc.

Also keep in mind that header size and type can make a huge difference. If you cannot get the header to cut right at faster speeds, then the size of the combine makes no difference. I've been in situations were a 36' Macdon can be run at faster speeds than a 30' 1010 in wheat. The 1010s simply couldn't get a good cut at much past 3.5 MPH, where as the Macdon was going 4.5 and everything was still looking good. Both heads on identical 2388s, and the macdon had 6' more crop coming into the machine.

-Lance

·
Registered
693 Posts
Will agree with ya.........but not totally.
Too many variables to deal with here.

Soybeans, yeah its tuff to beat 2 for speed. Corn.........not here.

We use to run 2 2188's with a cart = 3 guys in feild. Now run one class 7 (class size is questionable to start with) with 30' corn head and cart. We can actually do more with less (2 guys in feild) in 200 bu corn. Just too much of a cluster with another bine in the feild waiting to unload. Could go to a class 8 or 9, but then the dryer would need upgrading,....etc..........

I guess time is the major factor in the decision. If a guy cutting beans with a 40' flex head can cut 240 acres a day, and we on a good day with 2 - 30' heads running can cut 300. We could probly get by with one combine because our bean acres will be WAY down in the next few years due to economical benefits of corn in our area. BUT, with the custom work we do, having the 2388 is well worth its weight.

Long story short........Every situation is different, and no, one BIG combine could probly not outcut 2 slightly smaller ones in beans, but everything has a time and place. Knowing the best situation is up to the guy writing the checks.

One has to ask how much is an extra guy worth? 2-new 2388's with heads to match cost quite a bit more than one class 9 with heads to match.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Buying a large machine is great. Run 5 or 6 with a 12 row head, but you have to remeber the grain has to go some where. Lack spelling in the right places. If you can support 2 2388's you could keep up with 1. The CGE of a 8010 is around 4500 bu per hour so you will have to think about that. One less combine operator one more truck driver. I'm sorry I NOT good on the class sizes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i was going to bring up that point..but by the time i was finished i had a novel

Like the past guys said its all about the amount of grain you can move...

Your setup......for grain handeling

Im still not sure on if the new design's with all there hydralic hose's and pumps is longer lasting than our design on the 2388 but time will tell

The virdict is still out on the 8010... I like how everyone jumped on the bandwagon and hated the machine..and such

And the competition is really working it hard cause when they work and run they supposably out do the other class 8's and sometimes a class 9 from what i found out talking to a guy..

Id want to be trashing that machine too if i was someone else..

i hear you about breaking down on sat or sunday

and it is very nice to keep one combine going instead of well.....mechanicing under a dark cloud of gloom and doom

that sure isn't fun is it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have to say with the 8010 this year in high yielding wheat over 125 bpa.. It only did about 50 acres less then 3 JD combines totaling of a 70 feet of head ( 9660 sts, 9600, 9500).. 8010 30 foot head... I know I'll hear about this one from the guys at home lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Everybodies situation is different. We'll never have 2 combines unless we go over probably 4500 total acres. I'd rather run one machine with a 35ft platform and 12 row head then have two machines to work on. 2 machines creates a whole load of more problems, 2 operators, still a need a cart and just as many trucks. I can make more money with guys in trucks then guys in combines. As mentioned above its a whole lot cheaper to trade one machine every 2 years then two machines every 3-4 years. Neighbor traded 2 2388's in for one JD 9760 and can do more in a day with one machine then two and saves money.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet if he had the right kinda of heads on the 2388's he wouldn't be as happy

Also atleast with two combines when one goes down you have another to work with

weve ran two combines for 10 years or so

Normally we have 1-4 issues on each...non have been major and never at the same time

Also thanks combiness for your input

i guess i never gave a time frame on machines lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
With the cost of today's machinery, fuel and labor, "risk" is a poor excuse for justifying two combines (or multiples of anything) when one larger can easily do the job.

Quote:I bet if he had the right kinda of heads on the 2388's he wouldn't be as happy

Normally we have 1-4 issues on each...non have been major and never at the same time

·
Registered
894 Posts
Casefarmer, where do you find the time? Must be from running two combines
You have been on here less time than even the moderators, joined in the same month as I and you have 614 posts to my 61 and nearly 100 more than the moderator.

Quote:I bet if he had the right kinda of heads on the 2388's he wouldn't be as happy

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks muddy....we got done a few weeks ago

which is a few weeks faster than some guy's with just one combine

Also one combine cannot out do 2 combines

If you can find a combine that can beat two 2388's with 36ft draper heads in the same field i might consider it..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:well thanks muddy....we got done a few weeks ago

If you can find a combine that can beat two 2388's with 36ft draper heads in the same field i might consider it..

That's not going to happen, no way!

·
Registered
894 Posts
One large combine doesn't necessarily have to operate at the same pace as two smaller ones. It's all about cost control and efficiency. If you could operate one large (class 9) combine at a rate that is 70 - 75% of two smaller (class 6 or 7) combines and that one larger combine costs 70% of the two smaller combines, which would you choose (don't forget about your labor and fuel costs for two combines vs. one)? I choose the single larger combine. Granted, one class 9 combine may not do exactly what two class 7's will but, it will improve your field efficiency significantly and that will translate into productivity. Not to mention the fuel and labor savings and you could still use the same amount of trucks and tractor/auger cart(s), but more efficiently.

Risk has always been used to try and justify extra machinery in farming. True risk management is all about dealing with multipliers and statistics and nothing about perception. The perception has always been "if I have one combine go down, then i'll have another to keep going." Whatever. That's bad business to over buy based upon an assumed failure, even if you're dealing with a perishable commodity. It's like buying another tractor and plow to give a friend or relative, etc. a job vs. picking up more ground to justify the extra machinery purchase. Why not just let the extra help go and invest the money savd? Planning on retiring on machinery resale value? Now there's a hoot and a half!

Quote:well thanks muddy....we got done a few weeks ago

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so in some case's owning one combine would be better for a guy...

thats not what im saying...im strickly just fighting the common subject that 1 combine can't do more than 2...

in corn...perhaps...but you need bukoo's money

Also im not calling anyone dumb....especially not you red guys

if its working for you great!!!!

Also i need to address the pic thing.....

The mother in charge of getting pic's didn't do her job...

She does drive semi's all day long and it just never happened

so im sorry and im not very happy with her...cause i just found out yesterday whenever i was getting ready to load the pic's on photobucket and then she just informed me

I do promise that next year i'll make sure the job gets done..

Combiness...what give's i thought you women remember everything....especially to TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR NEW FARM TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day guys

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The perception has always been "if I have one combine go down, then i'll have another to keep going." Whatever.

??????????????

So while the one combine is down for a day or 3 and your sitting at home or working on the combine getting nothing done.....your going to tell me you won't be thinking

Now if i just had another combine going.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it does sound like it would work out better for you...

What did you get this time??? for a combine and how did you get along this year

1 - 17 of 17 Posts