The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Today...Finished the last 20acres of ready corn and now hope to get 415acres of soybeans out by monday before the chance of rain tuesday arrives so we can get back to corn.

Cutting more Corn:

Clean Grain in Tank

Unloading From The Drivers View

Switched Over to Soybeans Finally!

Clean Soybeans in Tank

Sunset before leaving to the elevator

The Scales at the Elevator

Short End of the Pit Line...Elevator has 3 pits, and soon there will be a line of 75trucks behind/infront of me

My *****in Gauges!

Sittin idle Waiting for a Load at night

Dave

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Corn looks good. Looks like you cleaned up the pieces of cob I saw in the first group of pictures. Are the yields still staying up? Any issues with the 8 row header/12 row planter yet?

Your elevator is set up weird. Is that the office right next to the pit? How's the Ford holding up? Will these questions ever cease? Can Batman foil The Joker's evil plan and save Gotham City before time runs out?

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we we're still playing around with the rotor since this is the first year we've ever used an STS. I was sick of only going 3.5mph and the tailings elevator would almost get full. I opened the concave +1 ( to 30), sped the rotor to 440rpm (from 380), and increased the fan speed from 1200 to 1400. Works REALLY well now as you can see from the grain tank sample. There's still some cobs, but there's not enough for the probe to knock us on FM so its fine with us.

Yields are staying up, but their dropping to 190's now...with the 5 days of 80*F weather, we should be able to get alot of corn ready to go while we're doing soybeans.

The 8row doesn't do too bad at all really, every other pass you have a point row but we havent lost too many ears from it...dad seemed to have planted relatively straight this year.

The office is to the far right of the pit, i'll snap some better pictures today of cargill's setup.

Ford is holding up well, all the brakes work now, but the front two amber lights below the headlights don't work anymore and its not the bulbs or fuse...so who knows?

I like to answer questions or get feedback, lets me know if ya'll wanna see more or not lol.

I don't like batman so whatever happens i dont care

· Registered
3,125 Posts
We were having problems plugging the tailings elevator yesterday, but we got it cleaned up. Moisture was running 19.4% so that wasn't helping anything. We can't find any dry corn so I'm sitting around doing nothing right now; it's supposed to rain over the weekend, too. I'd like to get some pictures of our local elevator sometime. If they're not too busy this weekend I might swing by.

I'm more of a X-Men fan, but the Batman reference works better here. Although, The Dark Knight was one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we're lovin it more and more every day dave! got .9" of rain thursday morning and we we're back cutting today. We should have soy's finished tomorrow and get back to the crop that matters and doesnt whine when its wet or has dew on it.

· Registered
886 Posts
that pic of the *****in' Gauges is sic. I saved it!

d**n good sample aswell, I'm impressed ebert!. And what this about your fathers rows being "Straight" this year. They don't look all that bad from the pics I've seen (Maybe invest in Auto Steer if he's a lil bendy)

Also..Those stats on the STS you gave. How do they compare to your old 9600? I'm trying to convince my uncles to sell the CTS II for an STS but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

So what kinda differences are they're in capacity/maintanence/and all since you've had it?

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jacob:

The rows are a little off at times, but it still pulls it in to cut 8 rows at a time. Autosteer isnt an issue, we just bought a bigger planter instead

We still like the 9600 and wish we could've kept it around for a 2nd machine. There's no doubt about it thought the STS is easier to adjust and change. The samples can't be compared in my opinion, the 9600 was a corn machine but it still cracked more grain than this does.

We're running 3.8mph with this compared to 4.5mph with the 9600, but we're also taking out 2 more rows so i cant give a fair comparison. We can run faster, but the sample is where we want it to be and we're usually stopped anyway because of lines at the elevators.

Capacity is a nice change, it just seems to be able to eat more and not complain, especially later at night. Maintenence, WOW so much easier...there's 4 zirks that are behind pulley's, but the rest of them are on grease blocks right under the ladder side panel and its a breeze, takes us maybe 10minutes to grease and we done get all dusty in the morning from doing it!

Overall, we LOVE it, changing crops over is so much faster not having to crawl in the back with the adjustment rod and in small grains like soybeans it just flies through the field.

Any other questions, feel free to ask away, i'm also going to try and get some video here as well.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a 2001 9650sts, 1400sep hours picked it up for the current market price (their all the same price for the hour).

It uses a good 100-140gallons a day 6am-10pm which isnt too bad...i would tell you a gallon per acre but we dont have a fuel pump on our portable tanks with a meter on it so im not sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.