The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linden Agri Center have their demo 10.9 sitting in the shop awaiting PDI.

Note the hydraulic cylinder on the feeder faceplate.

Since they went beater/stonetrap system the feeder drum can be smaller thereby significantly increasing feederhouse capacity.

The longest unload auger I assume.

At 690 hp the highest on the planet atm
CIH 9240 625 hp
Deere S790/Claas 780 both 617 hp
All at max rated
The 10.9 has two fans of different sizes, belt driven but variable pitch.

You guys laugh at a Claas ladder but this is over twice the distance to the first rung and too high for the people old enough to afford this machine!

I do not know why the pic below is repeated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
That’s front feeder drum is very similar to what they have been using on the CX since it first came out. It always worked better then our CR.

And that ladder isn’t moveable....

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s front feeder drum is very similar to what they have been using on the CX since it first came out. It always worked better then our CR.

And that ladder isn’t moveable....
Indeed, Claas rules on the ladder.

I have this theory on feederchains, what do think of this?
European machines tend to run very open to almost just the supporting shaft, NA machines tend to have large drums close to the slats. Why?
A rock larger than the size of a raised to the stops on the drum shaft bends slats. This is an advantage how?
I can see not putting a rock up larger than what will fit under drive shaft
I see the rubber belt system gets a smaller drum, probably like the CX size you reference as well as what the 10.9 here has.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The rubber belt front drum is very similar to the CX. It looks almost identical to the 10.9 drum picture. The drum surface is just a bit wider to match the belt width.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
It looks like someone had enough brains to not order it with “optispread”. Which (optispread) takes the gold medal award in the absolutely f....... useless class!
I’m presuming the only use of a hydraulic face plate tilt is when using a straight cut (auger) head or with that silver medal awarded - same category - NH draper head. In OZ, that Case/NH draper is about as popular & as welcome as a turd in your lunch box.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would the tilting face plate be used just to make hooking up or switching headers easier? Or would that be used to level the header? Or used to follow the ground better?

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
With that much HP & TP "improved" rotors ....... you'd need two FD140 welded together to fill that thing up!
While just slightly bigger they did consider FD145 but it’s just that much klutzyer for moving and the far and away most common size on the largest machines in the area is 40’/12.2 m.
Thinking red spring wheat here but we hope for crops that will put the 10.9 on it’s knees with a FD140 at 5 km/hr.
In this area Rod with our climate, wheat type and varieties that gives you 6 to 7 average t/ha the mog ratios are so high.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Gleaner has the best ladder, it only needs one to get to the engine compartment and it as far as I am aware still the only one offering electric fold so you can open it from a distance and not get a chaff bath at the start of the day.
Until there is a fire in the engine compartment and the wires burn off Andy the ladder won't open to extinguish the fire

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Until there is a fire in the engine compartment and the wires burn off Andy the ladder won't open to extinguish the fire
There is ways around the electric when your impatient, but if the wires are burnt off it's too late as she's already a total loss, but wait a second? Can a Gleaner actually become a total loss? It's got by far the least amount of plastic of any combine out there.

Remember on a Gleaner the engine oil drain plug is only **** high

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
There sure can be. Happened to a guy around here. And it was a small fire and the ladder wouldn’t come down to get up to put it out.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Don’t think that is a wise question to ask, I doubt there is a single make and model of machine not totally burnt up somewhere in cyberspace.
Yeah... waiting on insurance, may be totaled.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Don’t think that is a wise question to ask, I doubt there is a single make and model of machine not totally burnt up somewhere in cyberspace.
I have yet to see a total loss Gleaner from fire in the engine compartment but I have seen the front burn off, the fuel tank on them is behind the cab, so If ya don't get that one out in good time your SOL

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
What on earth went wrong there? I mean it is a fire truck......
Well... details are a bit sketchy... I think what occurred talking to the guy driving is that he was in the unburnt soaking corn stalks around a residence in a rapidly approaching field fire. Failing to realize how fast it was moving thick smoke disorientated the driver and also choked out the engine fresh air causing lack of power combined with soft ground making truck stall. Fire then over took igniting right rear inner dual. All tires sustained damage along with wiring and lights. Side hose reel needs replaced along with porta tank and some tools. 4 inch PVC jet siphon behind tank is melted and distorted. Was able to limp truck back to town.

Two guys road out the fire in the truck, fire advancing on pine wind break surrounding a residence. I was ranking officer/IC, pretty tense moments and radio traffic for awhile, had mutual aid coming from two different towns but they showed up after control, two farmers with tillage helped save the day.

In the end all that burnt was field and may have killed pines but did not ignite. Truck likely totaled, no one hurt. Just one guys pride, 25 plus year member, not living it down anytime soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts