The Combine Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
While just slightly bigger they did consider FD145 but it’s just that much klutzyer for moving and the far and away most common size on the largest machines in the area is 40’/12.2 m.
Thinking red spring wheat here but we hope for crops that will put the 10.9 on it’s knees with a FD140 at 5 km/hr.
In this area Rod with our climate, wheat type and varieties that gives you 6 to 7 average t/ha the mog ratios are so high.
A 10.9 "on it's knees" would be a sight to see. You'd better not look at the fuel consumption figure at stage! :eek:
I'd like to come over for a harvest & operate a "combine" in continual 5-7t/ha wheat, 3t/ha canola & 4-5t/ha peas! It would be a memorable experience. :54:
Interesting that most heads are 12.2m. It would be the same in OZ for a whole host of reasons but a lot has to do with CTF (controlled traffic farming). There are more 18.2m heads around BUT ..... they are not easy to move around.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
A 10.9 "on it's knees" would be a sight to see. You'd better not look at the fuel consumption figure at stage! :eek:
I'd like to come over for a harvest & operate a "combine" in continual 5-7t/ha wheat, 3t/ha canola & 4-5t/ha peas! It would be a memorable experience. :54:
Interesting that most heads are 12.2m. It would be the same in OZ for a whole host of reasons but a lot has to do with CTF (controlled traffic farming). There are more 18.2m heads around BUT ..... they are not easy to move around.
A 6 t crop is not typical Rod, it’s fairly high end, as I say it’s what we hope for.
Yields have trended up strongly lately, thanks to both to practises and climate.
Canola actually does average 3+ t and peas 4 to 5 t but are the most variable but it’s funny that different years have different effects on different crops.
The forest fire smoke from neighboring province BC seem to have a dramatic positive effect on wheat last year, less so on canola or barley.

Don’t think a 10.9 would pork over 125 l/hr diesel and def together, a 780 can peak at about 106.

Speaking of CTF I still can’t believe the FD140 model is still just 12.2m divider to divider center!

You get your FD140 yet Rod?

Anyone notice the 10.9 uses a larger displacement engine (15.9) than the biggest CNH tractors (12.9)?
Does the 10.9/15.9 L engine run slower?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The problem with CR combines is that the 10.9 cleaning area is exactly the same as the 8.9. I overload my sieves with my 8.9 so how would a 10.9 help???

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,682 Posts
The problem with CR combines is that the 10.9 cleaning area is exactly the same as the 8.9. I overload my sieves with my 8.9 so how would a 10.9 help???

Because at the donut shop, Kettle, you can brag that you have the biggest...........:37::37:

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
A 6 t crop is not typical Rod, it’s fairly high end, as I say it’s what we hope for.
Yields have trended up strongly lately, thanks to both to practises and climate.
Canola actually does average 3+ t and peas 4 to 5 t but are the most variable but it’s funny that different years have different effects on different crops.
The forest fire smoke from neighboring province BC seem to have a dramatic positive effect on wheat last year, less so on canola or barley.

Don’t think a 10.9 would pork over 125 l/hr diesel and def together, a 780 can peak at about 106.

Speaking of CTF I still can’t believe the FD140 model is still just 12.2m divider to divider center!

You get your FD140 yet Rod?

Anyone notice the 10.9 uses a larger displacement engine (15.9) than the biggest CNH tractors (12.9)?
Does the 10.9/15.9 L engine run slower?
Porking the fuel up at 125 l/hr would give the bank account a severe bruising. However, if it’s also pouring in grain at 80t/hr ...... it’s not a problem.
No FD140 as yet. I’m thinking it still looks like sheet steel at this correct time.
When it’s complete, I suspect they’ll get someone to put it in their canoe & paddle across the big pond with it.
Hopefully, both arrive in one piece ...... about mid September.
Fair chance they will want a deposit before he/she leaves in the canoe so he/she can buy lunch & dinner for the tour.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Is the overload problems in canola or all crops?
The reason I ask is, I had a 8090 (TP & covers) with universal concaves, & initially had the same problem. A few mods to the separation grates, level & centre the concaves, proper sieve calibrations ....... & I never had sieve overload again.
Your conditions would be different to ours but the fundamentals would be the same.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There sure can be. Happened to a guy around here. And it was a small fire and the ladder wouldn’t come down to get up to put it out.

Don't know on older Gleaners but on the S Series the ladder power is feed directly from battery independent of other power supply, it even by passes the isolator switch. The ladder switch is next to the battery so unless the fire is in that rear corner area and you lose the battery the ladder "should work"

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Hmm, on Apple products the pics are right side up but on a PC 1/4 turn CC.
Except the engine tag, it's right.
So are cptusas fired truck, wtf?!
Is it just my PC?
Pics turned for anyone else?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the overload problems in canola or all crops?
The reason I ask is, I had a 8090 (TP & covers) with universal concaves, & initially had the same problem. A few mods to the separation grates, level & centre the concaves, proper sieve calibrations ....... & I never had sieve overload again.
Your conditions would be different to ours but the fundamentals would be the same.
Mostly tough lentils and dry canola. But high yielding wheat/durum with powder dry straw causes issues too. Sieves just can't handle the throughput.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Mostly tough lentils and dry canola. But high yielding wheat/durum with powder dry straw causes issues too. Sieves just can't handle the throughput.
Tough lentils ...... you mean tough to thrash ??? or, are you getting unthrashed pods in the returns system? Or, pulverising them to powder & that is overloading the sieves?

The overloading of the sieves can be pretty easily addresses in powder dry cereals & canola. I had the same issues ...... initially in my 8090.

I presume you're running a MacDon on your machine? If so, make sure you've done the RTD flighting modifications & added the 5 retractable fingers on each sides so as to feed the beast the full width of the feederhouse.

Presuming you're running standard NH concaves? Are they level & centre to the rotors?

The large wire - for want of a better description - separation grates, let way too much trash through in most harvesting conditions. The slotted grates don't let enough (grain) through in many crops. I welded in 10mm stainless bar between each "wire" in one large wire separation grate to reduce the amount of trash that can poor through this area ...... overloading the sieves. In canola & other crops that have high trash loading in dry conditions, I made "clip-on" covers that you can install in no time at all. These two modified grates are fitted immediately after the concaves. The last grate was often a slotted grate. The last & second last grates are not to bad to change BUT the first one after the concaves - is a ******* of a thing to get in & out!
This setup reduces trash loading onto the sieves & does not induce rotor loss.
I don't have a really clear picture of this, but you'll see what I mean here.

The "clip-on" covers are easily made & the hooks to mount them are just 4mm flat bent & welded onto the grates frames as required.
The pic below the same "clip-on" cover types for Case modules. You'll get the idea of how they all work. NH you don't need left & right covers. NH are the same length either side.

Make sure your top & bottom sieves are opening evenly on both sides. Easiest way to do this is to take out the top sieves to do the bottom, then do the top.
Hope some if this info is useful for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
There sure can be. Happened to a guy around here. And it was a small fire and the ladder wouldn’t come down to get up to put it out.
Had the rad plug once and a fire started ,when the door was opened it really took off. Had time to wheel it in the yard and put it out with garden hose. Minor damage. Next time will leave the doors closed and let the fire extinguisher rip from the bottom opening

21 - 36 of 36 Posts