The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading my second drill. Currently run a Bourgault 3320-86 with 10 inch spacing. Thinking of going with a 3320-76 with 12 inch spacing. Was wondering if anyone has seen a yield decrease from going to 12 inch spacing from 10 inch. Also considering running a 2 inch spread to help get a bit more seed bed to make up for the wider spacing. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went from 9" spacing with 4" paired row to 12" no spread. Before we did the switch we did side by side trials, there was no noticable yield difference which surprised us since the 12" spacing didn't look as impressive

·
Registered
563 Posts
Interesting to see comparisons..
Many 12 inch spaced drills here..Rows sure look far apart all yr..Less shading, more blk dirt for weeds ?
We run a old 8810, with 10 inch space, 3 inch spread, our ground is covered long before the neighbors..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it only makes sense that it is possible for wheat to yield more with narrow row spacing, however on our farm we have not found a significant enough difference to continue using a narrow row. We find quick even germination is more important from a financial perspective than row spacing.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You’d think that row spacing would be important to the corn growers and yet they never go less then 20”. I’d hazard a guess you could find many reasons for a yield drop with wider spacing that aren’t related to the actual spacing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The bourgault trial showed plant stand reductions on 12” spacing. Wonder if seeding rate was increased on 12” spacing if yield would be equal to 10”?

For the original poster, I think 12” spacing with a wider opener and a little starter N would be good, but I don’t grow 110 bushel wheat either.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
There is a large farmer in the midale area, on Twitter, they run 14 and 15” spaces seedmasters. They don’t find yield difference big enough to go back. Have seen some of their pics of lentil fields, look great.

·
Registered
808 Posts
That Bourgault study shows almost a 20% drop in plant stand and 1+ bu drop in yield.

I grow enough wheat to know thats justifying enough to make extra payments on a 10in drill.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I run 10 single, but was thinking about going 12 paired to save cost and blacken up seedbed a little more. But worried about increased weed pressure and obviously yield. Curious what others have to say.

·
Registered
615 Posts
With 10 inch you have about 20% more rows in field , so you can use 20% more seed and fertilizer, if that won’t convince you ........

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
With 10 inch you have about 20% more rows in field , so you can use 20% more seed and fertilizer, if that won’t convince you ........
So that’s what I’m doing wrong??? I just need to add 20% more fertilizer and seed??? All across the board??? Alrighty then

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
10" space maximum here. Bigger openers like 2" are almost twice what a 3/4" are. I put 2" on our $26,000 5710 53ft for $10,000 grand just to widen the plant spacing more. It also works better with rubber packers ($6000 used) that don't pack a 3/4" trench worth a crap with their flat design. My steel I had to replaced due to wear, were superior for packing narrow furrows. Cereals like narrow spacing, weeds don't. Every person has different soils and weed pressure and soil moisture. There isn't a perfect drill for anybody 100% of the time. What you choose should be what suits your needs. Drills are insanely priced and so many variants made. It takes over 80,000 bu of wheat to buy a $600,000 new with todays prices. Basically 1700 acres to grow 50+ bushels of wheat it will cost $425,000 with rent fuel and inputs roughly ($250/acre). So another 56,666 bu required to pay for the inputs. That leaves 23,334 bu to go to the principal of the drill. 3.4 yrs of growing 1700 acres of wheat to pay for said drill. It takes a **** pile of money to own new and I haven't even calculated the depreciation of this drill after 3.4 yrs. As you can tell I am more about how much it costs to seed than what drill can gain me a bu or 2 an acre. Tight ass I am!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
There is a large farmer in the midale area, on Twitter, they run 14 and 15” spaces seedmasters. They don’t find yield difference big enough to go back. Have seen some of their pics of lentil fields, look great.
I watched some video of some combines in Oats that was seeded on 15” rows. Carts didn’t seem that busy. Sure seemed oddly lodged to boot.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Indian head research centre doesn’t show much yield diff in wider row spacing.
Indian head research is outdated with today’s variety’s and fertility. Hardly any newer research that’s relevant to today’s farming practices.

My own experience says 12 is two wide on cereals if it’s not paired and your not limited by water, fertility and seed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts