The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been running 1010 fronts for about 10yrs now, they go alright but a bit small these days.
Have always had some feeding problems with it in the middle right infront of the feeder housing, in wheat we have a problem with the crop building up inffront of the table auger... stops crop from being cut, so its a constant stearing game watching it all day, reducing speed norm fixes the prob, but why do 5 MPH when you can do 6... know what i mean. hrs in a day ac/hr.... days in tha PDK.
other thing is in barley we have more of a problem, depending on the crop condition & or time of the day, the cut crop with wrap arround the tabble auger & keep going around, screaming to a standstill, with crop bulging up around the table auger, it slowly goes into the feeder housing..
this yr i have purchased a 2nd hand POSI FEED ROLLER, It is a lot smaller & has a triangle type shape to it, looks like it would make all the difference, yet too see.
our original roller was a stone retarder roller which is bigger than standard, might have its use in some places.

anyway i have done all the adjustment to the feeder chain & fron, table auger speed,position- height, retrac finger adjust, the posi feed roller is the last resort, unless any 1 has the key.

can any one tell me why the 1010 will not cut as well as a draper Mcdon or 1040, midwest.... the list goes on.... we always had trouble when gets a little tuff. even with new sections, & 1040 type adjustable (by setscrew) holddown clips, & yes it is possible to turn the knife by hand. with the belt as tight as a....... a mates knife on Mcdon 36ft wasn't even setup, cut after i had jamed up???? Am talking about adaptor gap finger by the way... not ya standard knife guards.

cheers

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about with the wheat heads that swirl around right in front of the feederhouse. I think that has to do with the retractable fingers not being able to grab enough of the wheat to pull it down under the auger. The reel just keeps packing them into a pile, and it builds up enough that it won't cut any more right in front of the feederhouse. From what I've seen, there isn't a solution other than to just slow down. Unless you can figure out a way to get the wheat out of there, that is all you can do.

A draper head doesn't have this problem. I've been in situations before where a 36' MacDon can travel faster than a 30' 1010 just because of this exact problem. The threshing capacity of the machine certainly wasn't the limiting factor.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats right the machine capacity can be limited by the front... as i have seen a 36' go round me... not fun when ya can't get it in the front & the machine can handle more. the draper fronts have got great advantages.

wish i had a solution.. apart from slowing down, maybe a smaller diameter table auger right int he middle infront of the feeder, but then woould have to have longer retrac fingers, not enought room for them to retract right back in then.... always something!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The posi feed roller will fix the problem with the feeding issues. Have had guys claim that the cost of a new roller is paid for in fuel savings in the first year. We also extend the feeder chain on 1010 equipped machines by 2 half links each side.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
yeh ok, I have been getiing a good run out of it, no problems as yet, the barley fed really well, but can differ from yr to yr. Fuel saving?? well im not sure bit hard to say with the ground dry 1 yr & wet the next.
still have bit of proble in wheat taking alot of straw, getting it to feed under the table auger to clear the knife, i have seen other guys swear that the extension flighting helps or fixes the problem @$500 each (need 2 of them) they would want to work a treat, not sure if can get some off cuts or something??? is not a norm size flighting.

thanks
anymore hints pass the on
ta phill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure if this will work but some gleaner haeds have the same problem with the knot building up in front with wheat. I always thought you had to slow down. But some guys recomend extending the flighting all the way to the centre line of the feeder house and this is supposed to fix this. Not just the extensions but full height flighting. On gleaner heads the extensions are half the height of the actual flighting. I was going to try this on my header but ended up replacing it. As a side note extending the feeder chains should help with the pile-up behind the auger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you tried speeding up the table auger. This helps when taking a lot of straw. There are 3 different size sprockets available, listed in the operators manual.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Yeh have got a faster speed sprocket there, use to run it & will run it again 1 day, in some crops it spits more back out the front from its speed & more wind created. I think in some crops it would be a little help.

The flighting extensions could help some too. some times the barley is so light & fluffy it just won't sit. this year it was light & fluffy, & it fed in well, dunno if was because i had posifeed roller on??? or maybe the crop wasn't thick enough, the flight extensions in the wheat would have helped shove it under the tabe auger, don't know until it is tried. the genuine flight extension from case are $512 ea, yeh bit rich i recon... alright if was gauranteed to work 100 times better. will try get some 2nd hand flighting that will fit.

thanks
phill

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
phillphy did you ever get that problem solved? What is the part number on that case flighting...I'm pretty sure I can get it to you alot cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts