The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had problems with a 1010 reel on a 16 series case header (1644 in this instance)? Left hand side of the reel will drop but the right will not, left hand side is a slave cylinder with oil supplied by the right hand ram, new seals have been put in both rams but still only the left hand side drops, tried multiple times to bleed air out of the system but nothing works. Tried plugging the reel supply hose on to a tractor remote and the left hand side didn’t sag at all over night so must be a problem with the lift valve on the header but not sure where to look

·
Registered
386 Posts
benp340, sounds odd? If the left hand side is a true slave to the right hand side then the left side can not go down unless the right hand side does. When right hand side cylinder extends (goes up) it displaces oil from the rod side of the right hand cylinder which then goes over to the dead end of the left hand cylinder which makes it extend. Right hand side cylinder should be larger diameter than left side. Oil from left hand cylinder would have to pass through the right hand cylinder in order to lower which means it has to get past the lift valve so why would the right hand cylinder not go down (retract) as well? Sounds like maybe a hose has gotten connected wrong on the right hand cylinder? I am not familiar with your header at all, just thinking through how these systems work on any application.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is the ram on the right side fully extended? The reason I ask is if it is stuck fully extended for some reason the oil could just be bypassing through the gallery for phasing. Just a thought

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tin Man, yes I am familiar with the layout of the circuit and if a hose was connected wrong on the right hand ram I believe that the right hand ram would stay down and left would stay right up
Absk no the issue happens with the reel in the middle of its height setting (rams in middle point of their stoke), I think the bypass gallery for these cylinders is at the very top of the right hand rams stoke

·
Registered
68 Posts
So does the right side ram move at all then? Or does it move but just not together with the left side ram?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes right side moves and operates as it should but once the height for the reel is set the left hand ram will creep down and right hand one will stay in position

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmm that is puzzling.. is there a chance that the steel pipe that runs through the square tubing at the back of the header has a leak in it?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Any chance a seal got buggered up when you rebuilt them? Something scored inside the cylinder?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Had borrowed the neighbors header once and had the same problem , tried to bleed the right hand cyl ( slave on a 1020 header ) and couldent get much out when all the way up so kind of gave up and then after cycling a quite a few times it started to work properly ????

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This is really weird. Even if the oil was leaking past the seals on the right side, the right side should eventually droop too--as the oil has to be going somewhere (in this case it would be going back to the combine). I agree, you almost have to be losing oil between the left and right cylinder, or out of the left cylinder itself. Is there anyplace it could be leaking and running into the crop so you can't see the leak?

Maybe try temporarily installing a 1/4 turn valve at the right cylinder on the hose going to the left cylinder. Sync the reel and shut off the valve...let it sit. If the left end still settles, you will know the problem is in the pipe/hose or left cylinder itself. If it does not...the problem is in the right cylinder.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you tried to disconnect the reel lift hose between header and machine? Just an idea to isolate it to the header only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts