The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the next to last day of wheat harvest this summer, we almost totally redid the 1020 head. We put all new guards, new sickle, and a new wobble box, due to problems with breaking the sickle. Prior to that(the first day of wheat harvest),we noticed a break in the cutterbar where it bolts on by the wobble box. We welded the break, at that time.
Since the major repair, we probably only have used the platform on about 300 acres of wheat, and just recently milo.
Just started on some beans yesterday, so the head was set up in the flex position, and I had been cutting for a couple of hours when I headed up to unload, but before I got to the truck, I noticed BIG shakin' going on. When I stopped to look(I was afraid, as I had an idea what had happened), sure enough the cutterbar had broke, right beside where we had welded it earlier this summer.
We re-welded it, and this time put a strap on top of it, to re-enforce it a bit more. Case/IH techs said this is a common problem with the 1020 heads, and more than likely the cutterbar is just suffering from metal fatique and needs replaced. It is a 1997 model, so they may be right.
Do you guys have much trouble with the cutterbar on these 1020 flex heads? If so, is welded and putting an additional metal strap on to, a good way to temporarily fix my problem? I have a good 7 days of harvesting beans and milo left, so guess if I need to dismantle the head and replace the cutterbar, I can probably do so, but would prefer to wait until I am finished. Any ideas, better than mine?
thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jim,
I feel your pain..... I have just gotten mine straightened out.More than likely you have 2 mounts at rear of the header wore out,the ones at the rear of the wobble box frame.Check your bushing's and make sure the snap ring that holds them in are not beat out. The piece you are welding is way too light and bracing it helps, but if the bushing's are gone it will break again. When i ordered a new one , it was ALOT better piece and actually mounted to the wobble box bolts.(About 150.00) Get one, it will brace it better.On the bushing mount that is on left rear side,5 bolts hold it in place and the holes are slotted,make sure it as bumped up tight.(Mine were not and ruined my new mount before i caught it. $225.00 for that mistake) hope this helps..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too sure what you are referring to, but "if" I look towards the back of the left hand frame(where the wobble box is) I should see some type of bushing? Would the bushings be shown anywhere in this picture>>> https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your link didn't go through but in the caseih catalog 1020 parts for a 97 model illustr. 9D-10, the part # is 1313979c91 for the swivel with the bushing installed.The bushing by itself is 1316827C1 Get some snap rings too-206321H1.The other swivel mount is welded to the header frame and not illusrated on this page. It takes the same replacement bushing and snap rings.GOOD LUCK !!! Any questions call 205-966-8756

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update to finalize this thread!.....After deciding to replace the cutterbar, we were inspecting(closer) the bottom of the machine, and found out the "A" frame support underneath on the wobble box side was broken clean in two! You couldnt see the break because of the skid plate, unless you stuck you head up there and looked from the side. I will say, after replacing the cutterbar($600) and the A-frame($700), I finally realized this 1020 flex head isnt actually supposed to "shake" like it has ever since I bought it!(lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts